Would You?

88prs

OCD for PRS
I have an S2 Standard 24 that I put SD Alnico II Pro's in and sold the original pups.... Now I'm thinking I want PRS pups back in it and 57/08's are a logical choice but not cheap. The PRS and SD's are both Alnico II's but the frequency curves look totally different.

What would you do?

...or you could do something totally different
like dropping one of Larry's PAF's in the bridge position
and one of his humbuckers from Hell into the neck.

Lots of great pickups out there to choose from.
Virtually endless possibilities, up to you.

Any number of cool used options on Reverb or the 'bay if you're looking to save money. If you get a decent deal you can always flip them if you don't like them. I'm fond of the Duncan '59 as a slightly hotter sounding lead pickup, just swapped out a real fire breather for one of those in my LP. 57/08 59/09 combo is killer too.

I have an S2 Standard 24 that I put SD Alnico II Pro's in and sold the original pups.... Now I'm thinking I want PRS pups back in it and 57/08's are a logical choice but not cheap. The PRS and SD's are both Alnico II's but the frequency curves look totally different.

What would you do?

I would (did) drop in a Suhr Thornbucker+ set, but they are quite a bit different from either the Alnico II or 57/08.

Why do you want PRS pickups? What are the Duncans not giving you?

I think 57/08s would work very well. Lollar Imperials are in a similar sonic realm (to my damaged ears) at a lower price point.

The bass pickup is way to dark which means I should probably go with Alnico V but the chart for 57/08 looks good?

The bass pickup is way to dark which means I should probably go with Alnico V but the chart for 57/08 looks good?

I don't know about the EQ maps that a lot of mfr's use. I think they are only a very coarse guide at best. I have an uncovered 57/08 in the neck position of my P22, and it is my favorite neck humbucker of all my guitars, it has a bright "stinging" lead voice that I really like, while still being good for rhythm. The 57/08 in the bridge of that guitar sounds great, but I wish it had a bit more push (I don't dislike it enough to change it), which is why I suggest possibly a 59/09, or a Duncan 59, which I have in a couple of guitars and is much punchier to my ears than typical PAF clones.

Have you considered changing the magnet to A5? Have you lowered the bass side of the pickup and raised the pole pieces? Changing pickup heights could work - that being said getting a overdriven tone I like on some neck pickups means the clean tone lacks bass which is noticeable if I do any type of arpeggios. Another option could be running an EQ pedal in front of the guitar to cut some lows or boost some highs when on the neck pickup.

Have you considered changing the magnet to A5? Have you lowered the bass side of the pickup and raised the pole pieces? Changing pickup heights could work - that being said getting a overdriven tone I like on some neck pickups means the clean tone lacks bass which is noticeable if I do any type of arpeggios. Another option could be running an EQ pedal in front of the guitar to cut some lows or boost some highs when on the neck pickup.

Yeah a swap to A5 may do the trick. Magnet swaps can work wonders sometimes.

If you're not that adventurous, I'd look for a used Duncan '59 and then sell the A2 Pro. This way you won't be out much money, if any at all.

I would (did) drop in a Suhr Thornbucker+ set, but they are quite a bit different from either the Alnico II or 57/08.

I put a set of Suhr thorn buckers in my custom 22 , im still not sure if I like them as much as I liked the dragon 2s that were in it. im gonna mess with them a little more, feel like I should play around with the pickup heights more before I make a decision.

I put a set of Suhr thorn buckers in my custom 22 , im still not sure if I like them as much as I liked the dragon 2s that were in it. im gonna mess with them a little more, feel like I should play around with the pickup heights more before I make a decision.

I hear ya. Those are two very different sets of pickups, so it comes down to personal preference.

Back