Would you rather...

62caster

Looking at two options from a friend of mine who is looking to consolidate and get a core model:

1. Mint 2018 SE 245, $380

2. Slightly Used 2016 S2 Standard 22, $700

Which would you rather have and why?

I'd go with the 245 and a pickup change. Classic shape, love the short scale.

I was thinking about a PU change if I went the SE route. Not sure what the consensus is on these new 2018 SE pickups.

I think I am in the minority, but I actually like my S2 Standard 22s (I have two) better than my Core guitars. They just feel more "at home" for me. So, naturally, I'm gonna say do the S2, lol!! Though, you can't lose with either choice!

On their individual merits, the S2. The SE guitars are nice, but the S2 series is still a league above.

But if you have any motivation towards either style, you really can't miss.

It's just hard to pass up an essentially new SE 245 for $380. He bought it off Sweetwater for over $600 not too long ago.

They're so different from one another.

SE245: short scale length, stop bar bridge, 2 vol 2 tone, thick body, fatter neck, non-locking tuners
S2: longer scale length, trem bridge, one vol one tone, thinner body, skinnier neck, locking tuners

You should play each and go with whichever you like better.

They're so different from one another.

SE245: short scale length, stop bar bridge, 2 vol 2 tone, thick body, fatter neck, non-locking tuners
S2: longer scale length, trem bridge, one vol one tone, thinner body, skinnier neck, locking tuners

You should play each and go with whichever you like better.

Yes! I should mention I have played them both. I really can't decide. They are both good in their own merits. I'd say the S2 is probably a "better" guitar (whatever that means), but the SE is such a steal it's hard to turn down.

I'd decide based on which guitar I liked best. yeah, sounds simple. But, one is basically LP syle, other has a trem and is double cut. Different enough that one of them should appeal to me more than the other once I play and feel them. And if it's the 245, you've got the money left over for a nice pickup swap.

Those guitars are different enough that playing them should create a preference.

Yeah - it's tough. I guess maybe I like the S2 a little better? I just don't know if it's worth almost double.

Yeah - it's tough. I guess maybe I like the S2 a little better? I just don't know if it's worth almost double.

‘Worth’ is entirely subjective.

‘A little better’ can be worth a lot. Or it can be worth less than a lot, depending on you.

Last edited:
Well! I'm going to go with the SE. Right now, with money being a bit tight, I think it's a safe bet. Plus later on, a great platform to mod. This russian dude's review helped:

No clue what he's saying but it sounds awesome.

Solid choice!

Yes! I should mention I have played them both. I really can't decide. They are both good in their own merits. I'd say the S2 is probably a "better" guitar (whatever that means), but the SE is such a steal it's hard to turn down.
Obviously you should offer him a G note for both!:D

Back