Would you make this trade?

No. I'd take a router to those pickup cavities instead.
Well, unless you're a pro I'd give that one a second thought, but this and a lot of other replies points to the fact that a few options tone wise on the narrow shaped 408 & PG pups would be great. It seems I'm not the only one that hasn't bonded with them and after the honeymoon was over with my 408, I was left with using it mainly for distorted tones because the clean tones are too jangly for my tastes. I wished for a different option and thought PRS should have some *different sounding pups in that shape*. That way you don't have to take a router to it.;)

That said, I'm with Serge on the "No".
Lack of flame on the horns or not, your PG has a nicer & more unique finish, better electronics,........I'd research custom wound PG pups just for kicks.

*Hey PRS, just a humble suggestion that makes sense.

I would have some new pickups wound for it before going under the knife or losing some decent change on a guitar.

Some good suggestions. First and foremost, how do you like the guitars? Do you prefer the way one plays and feels over the other?

I have a 20th Private Stock that I didn't bond with at first...I think for some of the same reasons I am hearing here: pickups too bright and flat, not enough midrange grunt compared to PAF style pickups. My guitar benefited greatly from changing the magnet to an A2 magnet and from changing the tone caps. They are very sensitive to the resistance of the volume knob, too. If you tinkered a bit with those things, all of which are reversible, you might be happier.

Then again, if it's not the pickups that are souring you...move on.

I'll be the contrarian. I have the Paul's pickups in my 20th PS, and have had a couple of 408s I've really liked. I also have a new McCarty.

I love both guitars. I think they're both terrific, and not because they're all that different, but because there's a lot of clarity and brightness in both pickups (admittedly the 20th PS also has a middle pickup that makes combinations that are pretty special).

I wouldn't be surprised to discover that the development of the 408 influenced the 58/15.

The McCarty is my workhorse, and in my studio it's a very versatile guitar, but I wouldn't do that deal, and it has nothing to do with the issue of colors or wood grains that I wouldn't care at all about.

I think the Paul's 408s simply aren't all that freakin' different from the 58/15s in terms of their basic approach to tone. I mean, they're different but only in the detail; both pickups excel at clarity and crisp attack, and have a similar vibe.

Obviously this is a vibe I like, or I wouldn't have both guitars, but my guess is if you don't like one, you probably won't get all that excited about the other.

The coil taps on the McCarty, granted, sound a little different, but there are fewer possible combinations because you can't independently switch them.

Yes, the 408 pickups sound similar split and in humbucker mode. They're supposed to. The difference is that they are thinner and truer to a single coil sound when split, and a little bit fatter in bucker mode, but because they're both narrow, they sense a narrower section of the vibrating string, and that's what creates the similarity. I'm surprised people have a difficult time hearing this difference, it's plain as day to me, but maybe you play high gain stuff, or something (not that there's anything wrong with that ;)).

Don't get me wrong, I really love the 58/15s, I just think they're a lot like what you already have, and why lose a grand to basically get a different color guitar that sounds a lot like the one in your hands?

The fatter sounds of the 57/08s - just my opinion, I think they have less clarity but are fatter - would give you a different sound that might be interesting. But that's not what's on offer.

Last edited:
Binding, artist birds, adjustable bridge, a nicer top and color IMO, next gen pickups. No brainer... McCarty.

I like the Paul's guitar better. But my opinion and $5 will get you a cup of coffee at Dunkin Donuts.

I would do it. It has more of what you are seeking in a guitar.
To keep what you are not totally satisfied with, after finding the crab-colored one, you will always regret your hesitation. ;)

Life's short. See if you can negotiate a better deal and go for it. Just make dam sure the new guitar is your "buy once, cry once". If it is not then don't do it. Wait for the real deal for you as you have a nice guitar now.

would a thousand be above a quote from the PTC for doing the routing and a pickup swap?

Your guitar top is phenomenal, yeah I agree....suspect your getting low balled on pricing, unless your replacement is brand new

If your throwing away a thousand, maybe add some more and also get a new CE?

Yeah, I'd be hesitant to take that big of a hit. Especially since you''re looking to trade instead of just buying the McCarty outright. I love my PG and it has a solid 'hog body and rosewood neck. I've played a bit with pickup height and think it has enough tone diversity plus trying different EQ's, as rider suggested, does make a difference. Les is spot on about the narrower portion of string sensing, and I've heard Paul himself make similar comparisons in some of his videos. But, in the long run, you just have to follow your heart and hope it all works out. Good luck, man!

OK...well I'm going to propose another option. Personally I wouldn't make that trade...i like the cosmetics and electronics of your Paul's guitar better (you could easily switch to an adjustable stop tail if you wanted)...but that's my problem...you should have whichever guitar you like best. Actually, I would just buy the McCarty and keep the Paul's, but I have a problem. Here's another thought...the Custom 24-08 which they just released a limited run of for experience (only 30 I believe) combines the best of both of these pickup setups...three way switching with individual coil taps and "no volume drop SC sounds". I was told by the folks in pickup winding at the factory that the new pickups for this are essentially identical to 408's just on different size bobbins (same magnets/wire, windings...everything). They are called 58/15's on the spec sheet...and they sure sounded like 58/15's (which I have in several guitars) in hum bucker mode...but with less volume drop off like the 408 in SC mode...their SC sound is a little less "bright and twangy" than the 408 (which I find perfect for getting those F-type tones), but more powerful than the regular 58/15's in SC mode. Maybe the best of both worlds. This of course leads me to conclude that the 58/15's are the evolution of the 408's onto a regular size pickup bobbin (as Les shrewdly suggests above). I can't imagine that these newer pickups won't be added to regular core guitars (or perhaps an AP option) in the very near future. The 594 went from a very limited PS run to core in 4 months. So maybe you could wait a bit and get the best of both worlds. I'd have an easier time getting over missing out on a color I was searching for (which could likely pop up again), than switching guitars and having a more ideal model of what I want come out a few months later. Of course...there will ALWAYS be something you want more coming along at some point.

Thanks for all of the opinions! Still thinking! I thought I would like the Paul's a lot more than I do. I guess I was just a little disappointed in it after I got it. The artist birds are cool, but kind of look cheap in person. I'm really leaning towards the McCarty. The $1000 difference is after I negotiated. They originally wanted an even bigger difference. I'll be keeping the paisley case no matter what though!

Thanks for all of the opinions! Still thinking! I thought I would like the Paul's a lot more than I do. I guess I was just a little disappointed in it after I got it. The artist birds are cool, but kind of look cheap in person. I'm really leaning towards the McCarty. The $1000 difference is after I negotiated. They originally wanted an even bigger difference. I'll be keeping the paisley case no matter what though!

It seems that the inlays and look are truly the issue here, and so I'd say that you should follow your gut feeling and switch.

I wouldn't do it in your shoes, but on the other hand, there's nothing wrong with going for an axe whose looks rock your world!

I am a bit (a lot!) biased here, because my Paul's is identical to yours, except a bit more conventional top, and I love it (does yours really has the "10" on the back of the headstock? I interpreted PGs to have "Dirty artist" tops which were not graded as 10 in any case, but I might be wrong).

As far as I understood, you have not tried the McCarty nor any other 58/15s.
If this is correct, and if it is really the sound of the pickups that is not convincing you, I would wait and try a McCarty, even not that one, but try a similar one, bringing your P'sG with you and comparing them with same amp, same room, same mood, same everything, before risking 1000$, especially after some warnings about 408s and 58/15s not being extremely different.
If, instead, I didn't like the blue fade anymore and I just wanted the blue crab, then I'd go for it (... being bored after 6 months of the blue crab and wanting to switch again, but this is just me).

Finally, if you want more PAF-style sound, I assume you are not playing super-modern high-gain sounds. Playing clean-crunch, I don't get how it is that you don't hear ANY difference between single coil and HB sounds of PG.

One thing about that ever-elusive PAF sound is that PAFs from different years, and even different runs, sound different from one another.

It's always been a moving target to a degree. One man's PAF is another man's "that's no PAF" even though both could be original PAFs.

One thing about that ever-elusive PAF sound is that PAFs from different years, and even different runs, sound different from one another.

It's always been a moving target to a degree. One man's PAF is another man's "that's no PAF" even though both could be original PAFs.

Totally agree Les, clear when you listen to various artists known to record with vintage '59 LPs or 60's 335's, they vary a lot. The PRS pickup that matches my own personal "PAF sound" in my head is the 58/15 LT from the 594...nails it for me.

Add to that, the name "PAF" is just dumb.
Yes, I know the origins.
I still think it should never have stuck.

YMMV

Back