Would you make this trade?

Solteroblues

I currently own this: 2015 Paul's Guitar 10-top

22760387411_a60e162234_b.jpg

And I'm thinking of trading it for this: 2016 McCarty 10 Top

227820-4sm.jpg

I've been looking for a blue crab blue that was actually blue for over a year now, and this one popped up. It's got the birds that I like, and a nice flame. I've never bonded with the Paul's guitar pickups, and I can't tell any difference between single-humbucker modes... If I do this deal, I lose $1000 cash, but I think it's worth it...

What do you guys think?

Yowzers. Although I like the look of the McCarty, that Paul's looks absolutely drop-dead gorgeous - but I'm a sucker for quilty tops and color-to-color fades.

If you really don't bond with the Paul's, though, there is little point in keeping it.

I know you are trading into a dealer, and there will always be a loss in doing that, so I suppose it is up to you whether you want to invest that cash to get the guitar you truly prefer.

I can understand not bonding with those pickups, I've fallen out of love with the 408 pups myself, but everything else about your Paul's gtr blows away that Mccarty. The top, fretboard inlays, color, all are head and shoulders above the other, I wouldn't make that trade.

sound wise the Paul's is just sort of blah. And you can't swap out those pickups, unless you rewind the stock ones. I love the looks of the Paul's, just never totally fell in love with it. The quilt is great near the bridge, but it doesn't have a lot of figure up near the horns, so I think the McCarty has a better top... I would prefer to swap evenly, because the Paul's was a couple hundred bucks more and more unique... But I've been searching for one like the McCarty for a long time (see avatar pic!).

I just don't want to do anything stupid in the long run...

Funny how we think differently. I guess that's what makes it fun. I think the book matched quilt top is really cool. But again, it doesn't matter what others think. You're the one that has to be pleased.

see if you can lower the dollar amount lose on your end. as unique as the PG is. I would not go in with that great of a loss. Just me of course. I too have never bonded with the 408's so I fell you on that part. And I the other being the pickup swap issue. Honestly, what is the PTC cost to mold it to full HB. IS it even doable?

It's really moot. If you're not bonding with the PG, then it's time to move on. Of course, you always risk the chance of not bonding with the McCarty either. Leap of faith my man. If I were in your same predicament, I'd make the trade. I also might see if I could get a little closer to even with the dealer.

I currently own this: 2015 Paul's Guitar 10-top

22760387411_a60e162234_b.jpg

And I'm thinking of trading it for this: 2016 McCarty 10 Top

227820-4sm.jpg

I've been looking for a blue crab blue that was actually blue for over a year now, and this one popped up. It's got the birds that I like, and a nice flame. I've never bonded with the Paul's guitar pickups, and I can't tell any difference between single-humbucker modes... If I do this deal, I lose $1000 cash, but I think it's worth it...

What do you guys think?

Pretty harsh one... I say DO IT! If you're lucky with it you should definitively do it. I would do it, cause I can't stand the design of the Pauls Guitar Pickups, but thats just me. You lose money. Of course you do. But if it makes you happy to play your new one thats fine. Go for it.

thanks for all of the input. I know these types of questions are always hard because it's all personal preference. I'd prefer not to lose the money on it, but I also prefer to have different sounds. The PG isn't bad, it just isn't as good. I'm not familiar with the 58/15's, but I like PAF sounds, so it should be closer to what I like...

thanks for all of the input. I know these types of questions are always hard because it's all personal preference. I'd prefer not to lose the money on it, but I also prefer to have different sounds. The PG isn't bad, it just isn't as good. I'm not familiar with the 58/15's, but I like PAF sounds, so it should be closer to what I like...
The 58/15's are WONDERFUL! Good luck with your decision.

The 408s in all iterations are definitely more modern-sounding than the 5X/XXs. I love them, but I also find the 58/15s and 85/15s to be audio crack.

I have both core McCarty and a WL McCarty (2015 models) and they are two of the best-sounding and longest-sustaining PRSes I have ever owned.

Both your current and potential future guitars are beautiful.

Assuming the neck felt good, I would give that Paul's guitar every chance to redeem itself, including finding someone to rewind the pickups and modify the switching to suit before passing it along. Love the birds and the fade they did perfectly highlights the change in composition of the top; bookmatching and 3d is stunning.

But congrats you found your new guitar -- life is too short, eat the $1k, play what speaks to you, keep it forever, and don't look back.

I don't know, if it was an even trade, I'd hesitate, but if you're losing US$1K, I'd definitely decline that deal.

But then, I recently bonded with my Paul's, after almost a year of not, so I'm biased.

Also, if you want a blue-crab-blue that's actually blue, why not just go for a different colour? Blue crabs actually do have a bit of green and grey to them.

That said, if you're only seeing this over the internet, I'd ask for a real life, non-color corrected pic, next to something you know the color of, like a Pepsi can or a bottle of Gatorade or a dollar bill.

Last edited:
I really like my 408 , I have never tried a Pauls with the smaller bridge pickup but would like to.
The 408s are very flat EQ wise so a different EQ is sometimes needed to bring out the best IMHO
I like my 408 best when jamming or playing with backing tracks it just works somehow
Here is a bit of mindless wanking at my warehouse recorded on an iPhone that I did awhile back
https://soundcloud.com/the-pedal-guy/408-marshall-clean-large-room
As far as the trade goes you need to like what you play but I would not do that deal just yet

Back