Would you make this trade...

auriemma

Still Strummin!
We have discussed that I like the feel and play of my MC58, the 57/08s (although legendary) do not cut it for me. I know a pup swap is a good option, but this trade just came along...

My 2011 MC58 Artist, Pattern neck, Vintage Burst, 57/08s, 7.2 pounds
for a...
2013 408 Ten Top, Pattern Thin neck, Livingston Lemondrop, 7 pounds
Both in immaculate condition

If yes... straight up, or plus cash to which side?

Note: I have played a 408 before and liked it.

thats a tough one. I was one of those in agreement with you on the 57/08 in the MC58. I recently worked on the pickup heights and got a better balance between the neck and bridge. So for now no changes.

But... if I had your option, a straight trade could be right if both guitars are in same condition, and are used!!!!. A new 408 10 top would recieve a trade and cash for a used MC58 Artist.

I would think a little $ should come your way. You're talking an artist package on yours vs. normal 10 top, right? I wouldn't make the trade because I don't like 408's as much as 57/08 pickups. But we're not talking about me. I assume your MC 58 has the paisley case and artist inlays. Are you able to play this 408?

I would not if only due to the flexibility the MC58 and the 'normal' pickups it has provides. That and there is definitely a monetary value divide between yours and the one you would be receiving in my opinion.

I'd say it all come down to what they are selling (not listing) for used not the original price. I've seen Mc58s go for around the same price as a 408 10 top give or take a couple $100. I also have no idea what the reintroduction of the McCarty as essentially the same model without the Artist top will do to the Mc58 going forward but they haven't usually held their value as well as other models.

Last edited:
I'd say it all come down to what they are selling (not listing) for used not the original price. I've seen Mc58s go for around the same price as a 408 10 top give or take a couple $100. I also have no idea what the reintroduction of the McCarty as essentially the same model without the Artist top will do to the Mc58 going forward but they haven't usually held their value as well as other models.
Yeah, unfortunately that was because the market though. The MC58 guitars kinda under valued themselves because they didn't sell well. All of the sudden there were lots of blow out type prices of these NOS guitars. Too bad really, but people didn't want to pay the upcharge for more bling on this model. I'll be interested to see how they price now that the reissue in here.

Easy way to find out. Check Ebay sold listings. You'll have your answer. Keep in mind, the MC58 will be an easier sell as a private sale, since it will appeal to the non-PRS crowd as well. You'll find it more difficult to offload the 408 should you ever need to. Anyways, I really hate the whole "value" discussion when it comes to acquiring/trading guitars. I'd do a lopsided trade straight up if it was for a guitar I really wanted. For example, If I could get my hands on an excellent condition CE24, I'd trade my MC58 straight up for it in a heartbeat. Thats because the CE has more intangible value to me. As I've discovered, intangible value often is more important than monetary value.

Taking the monetary aspect out of the equation, I have several 57/08 equipped PRSes, and the 408s might do the trick for you if you are looking for more output and fatness. I assume your '07 CE22 has Dragon IIs - I have one guitar with those, and I like them, but the 57/08s are significantly more open-sounding. The 408s are probably comparable "hotness wise" but are more open/clear (but not as much as the 57/08s).

I played an MC58 at my local GC a few years ago when they were doing some sort of 49th blowout - it was an amazing sounding guitar, and I love a bound pattern-profile neck. Only reason I did not pull the trigger is that they had a 408 Brazilian for even less (go figure ?!?) but I still remember that MC58.

It's a tough call, but it's a decent opportunity. Go play a pattern thin neck somewhere before you make the call, though - if you don't like the feel and you are used to bigger necks that might be a dealbreaker for you.

Good luck whatever you decide!

They're both terrific guitars. And they're also very different.

Except for the grade of the top, and the nicer case for the SC58, they're equally valuable. Not sure how you adjust for that.

I wouldn't do it, because I'm an SC guy who likes the 57/08s. Have you tried adjusting the pickups a little?

They both are used and immaculate.

I have played a 408 standard some time ago. Liked it a lot. I was going to buy it, but it had a paint flaw. SA sent it back. I don't recall what the neck was. This one is a Pattern Thin, so it's a 1/16" thinner at the nut, but the same width as a Pattern. Will that bother me? Don't know.

Just did some SOLD digging on ebay:
used MC58 Artist: $2000-2900
used 408 10 top: $2000-2200

He found a shop selling MC58 Artists for $2500 new. Killer deal no doubt.

I do agree about the intangibles of a guitar.

As for the pickup swap... I've 40 guitars over my lifetime, changed out pickups... Once.

Last edited:
They both are used and immaculate.

As for the pickup swap... I've 40 guitars over my lifetime, changed out pickups... Once.

If they're both clean as a whistle then it seems that you're just stepping down, I wouldn't.
As for pup swaps....... only once in your gtr life?..... maybe it's time to reevaluate your view on that. If tone is your issue, that's ground zero, even more than the tone wood.

Well, we didn't trade. We both agreed we liked our own guitars better.
That being said, Friday I played an all mahogany 408 Standard. Very smooth, warmer tones.
Then I played his maple topped 408, very bright and clean compared to my MC58.
And the Pattern Thin neck was a pleasure to play, made no difference to my hand.

Time for me to re-evaluate my rig. Pickups... Amp... Box (or patch changes) ... Something needs to change.

I'd start by re-evaluating the amp, It doesn't seem like a very good match for that style of guitar.

Back