Would the real Orange Tiger please stand up?

MichaelS

I'm here for the free kool-aid...
I really like the Orange Tiger color, but am very confused as to what it really looks like.
A quick look at a Reverb search of 'PRS orange tiger' shows so many different variations. Is it just the lighting?
Which one would be the closest to reality then?
Or is it an inconsistent color? Or has it evolved over the years?
Looking for something less brown, but not too red.

ZS9RpZV.jpg

Last edited:
The color that seems to vary more than any other (at least from what I've seen) is Livingston lemon drop.

Cool a thread that gives me an excuse to post my favorite SC guitar...
IMG_0230_resize_zpslnyziv7n.jpg

It does look different in different light. Usually it needs a lot of light to really see the color well, otherwise it looks much darker.

Or maybe just a really good photog like Brian's has...
SC58-5_zps9a40a815.jpg
Sweet...
Although I'd always end up buying a wide flame tope, I love staring at awesome quilts like that... like a velvet scarf...

Well, as the mantra goes, each pieced of wood takes the stain differently, and each staining job is a work of art, done by hand/eye.

Take a look a the various finishes called "black gold" as another example, or "blue matteo".

Some of it is lighting, some of it is their camera isn't calibrated, but honestly, there are some colours for which there is a lot of variation. So if you want to get an orange tiger of a particular hue and shade, I'd recommend ordering it new, and specifying to the dealer when you order it.

PRS colors do not have a solid consistency from one model year to the next, which I learned the hard way. I had a refinish performed on a guitar and stated that I wanted a Black Cherry finish and submitted a photo of a Black Cherry finish from years ago that I wanted matched. But when I opened the case to inspect the refinish, what I got was a present day version of Black Cherry which was much darker and completely different than the Black Cherry version I supplied in the photo. I accepted the guitar back without saying a single negative word but I was so unhappy with the new finish on one of my favorite guitars that I put it up for sale and sold it immediately.

Necro thread, yes - but I felt the need to post this.

My 2015 Orange Tiger Custom 24 has never photographed well for me. It always ends up looking brown in photographs and pretty different than how it looks to me in person. Today, I had the guitar leaning on the couch and a rare ray of January sun came through the blinds. I moved the guitar around and got some better shots. Finally!

iz7smlD.jpg

G4JxTk1.jpg

94sKOqr.jpg

hLgKde3.jpg

This is my 2010 Custom 22 Soapbar Limited in Orange Tiger Burst. The picture is very accurate as far as the color goes. It is a deeper orange with brown tones. I do not know if the "burst" version is a darker hue. I have a Special Semi-hollow on order in orange tiger and I am hoping it is closer to this Soapbar rather than being a brighter orange.

32896123458_e5b363e903_b.jpg

Back