Would it be blasphemous...

GarrettIvo

If I was to entertain the thought of selling my SE Cu 24, with the intent of replacing it with an SE245?

I spent a bit of time playing a 245 yesterday and really enjoyed the feel of the neck and the shorter scale length.

The Custom is a really nice guitar, and I do like most things about it. But I've never really loved the wide thin neck profile. It hasn't stopped me enjoying the instrument or anything, but just never felt quite right.

The 245 just felt instantly more comfortable in my slightly larger hands. Thumb fit perfectly over the top, and I thought it sounded good also.

I know people seem to rate the 245 highly, so it seems I wouldn't necessarily be LOSING anything by making the change.

Seeking feedback for now.

Nothing wrong with that trade. Granted I equate Cu24 with PRS in the word association game in my head but other than that get the guitar you'd rather play. SE for SE, wouldn't give it a second thought.

Nothing wrong with that trade. Granted I equate Cu24 with PRS in the word association game in my head but other than that get the guitar you'd rather play. SE for SE, wouldn't give it a second thought.

Ideally I would like to get my hands on an S2 594, but with the pandemic they simply don't seem to have made it to my part of the world at all. Hanging out to see what they feel like, and would be more than happy to save up for one.

Ideally I would like to get my hands on an S2 594, but with the pandemic they simply don't seem to have made it to my part of the world at all. Hanging out to see what they feel like, and would be more than happy to save up for one.

Guitar supplies will come back and already are to some degree. I'm sure there's also going to be a surplus in the future when all those that picked up the guitar over stay at home orders realize the guitar takes time, effort, and practice.

For now you can start saving and watch for the right one at the right price from a good seller. Maybe by then you can keep both! At least for a time being anyhow. I know I never know if a guitar is for me until I've spent a good amount of time with it at home. When I'm debating on sending a guitar out for another in it's helpful for me to keep them both for a while to A/B the hell out of 'em.

If I was to entertain the thought of selling my SE Cu 24, with the intent of replacing it with an SE245?

I spent a bit of time playing a 245 yesterday and really enjoyed the feel of the neck and the shorter scale length.

The Custom is a really nice guitar, and I do like most things about it. But I've never really loved the wide thin neck profile. It hasn't stopped me enjoying the instrument or anything, but just never felt quite right.

The 245 just felt instantly more comfortable in my slightly larger hands. Thumb fit perfectly over the top, and I thought it sounded good also.

I know people seem to rate the 245 highly, so it seems I wouldn't necessarily be LOSING anything by making the change.

Seeking feedback for now.

I think the word you're fishing for is sensible.

There's nothing all wrong with replacing a guitar with one you like better.

Most crazies around here would try to find a way to get the new one and keep the old one. In fact we've already seen that play out in this thread... :D

Here's what I can say with near certainty...

Sure, you'll obviously love the easy playing and great sounding 245 and enjoy every minute with it, but at some point in the not too distant future you'll start thinking about how much you miss that 24.

Of course you can always get another one later on, but if there was a way to have both right now it would sure make things easier. ;)

Go for it, they are ridiculously good value for money, especially if you’re gifted one like I was;)

And if you decide to do some sensitive upgrades, nut, pickups etc. They make an excellent platform for that.

I can’t give Daves Guitars high enough praise. They quite often have used guitars that are like new, at discounted prices.

Definitely not blasphemous at all...I started out with a SE CU24. Mainly because a friend of mine had a core CU24, I was new to guitars in general. So, it was ignorance was bliss kinda thing.

I've had 3 245s now, the shorter scale and neck carve was the clincher for me. I played a SE245 and I was smitten and I still am. So slinky, easy to play and fits my hand like a glove. Like you I have rather chunky hands and the neck carve on the 24 kinda kept me from being totally in love with it. Still a great guitar value and playability wise...just never grabbed me like the 245 did. My 245 was gifted to me as well, by a champion of a friend, but regardless of that, this last one will be with me forever!!

I still wish I had been able to keep the 24, for mainly sentimental reasons but the 245 is and has been my favorite PRS to date. If you can hang on to the 24, I would just because it's a completely different animal. But, if that's not an option, go for the 245 and never look back!!!
Hope this helps!!

Bump.
I sold the Cu24 today. Posted it a couple days ago and a bit surprised it went so quick.

Price was good enough that I could more or less grab a 245 tomorrow if I feel like it.

But... I've done something silly by trying out an SE Paul's and even worse an S2 594.

The Paul's was great, and I think I could get a lot of use out of it. Just need to wait a little longer to scrape that money together.

But the 594 was altogether different again. It looked, felt, and sounded amazing, and is the sort of guitar I could see myself just wanting to play endlessly. Despite not having the requisite skills.

I worry if I get the 245, or even the Paul's I may keep wishing for the 594.

Damn you PRS!

I think that you are doing the right thing by trying several guitars, in person. This past year, I sold 7 guitars at a profit, and bought 3 new PRS guitars. The guitars that I sold were nice problem free guitars, that I had bought off the internet. The guitars that I kept, were guitars that I had shopped long and hard for, comparing them to other guitars, before buying.

Take your time looking for a new guitar. The individual guitar, is more important than the model. Even thought the PRS quality is good, and all my be problem free guitars, find one that will suit you better than the others.

Bump.
I sold the Cu24 today. Posted it a couple days ago and a bit surprised it went so quick.

Price was good enough that I could more or less grab a 245 tomorrow if I feel like it.

But... I've done something silly by trying out an SE Paul's and even worse an S2 594.

The Paul's was great, and I think I could get a lot of use out of it. Just need to wait a little longer to scrape that money together.

But the 594 was altogether different again. It looked, felt, and sounded amazing, and is the sort of guitar I could see myself just wanting to play endlessly. Despite not having the requisite skills.

I worry if I get the 245, or even the Paul's I may keep wishing for the 594.

Damn you PRS!
You got that right! I started with a S2594 DC last Sept and now have a SE 245 and a SE Paul's (gifted for 10 years at my company, I don't work for PRS). They all are sweet and posses their own flair!

You won't go wrong with the 245, its fantastic sounding, ripe for mods (nut and locking tuners so far on mine) and really gorgeous. The 245 Standard with the finish and binding, gorgeous!

For the price it is a hell of a guitar!!!!

Back