Would/have you bought a guitar without playing it first?

I have bought many guitars un-played but experience has taught me only to buy PRSi this way as provided I know what a given model should sound/play like I can be reasonably safe, sadly not something I can say for many, if any other brands, the only PRS I came unstuck with in this respect had been modded by a previous owner (piezo saddles added and stacked controls) while this did not affect the playability too much the controls were next to useless in a live situation for me)

I bought a custom 24 on pictures only. PRS is crafted well enough to do this. The only question is if it is a neck profile you are not familiar with.
PRS is the only guitar brand that I'd consider this option and did it back in 2001. Maybe Music Man/EB. And if you buy from a good dealer, and you're cool about it, your satisfaction should be assured. I'd take the leap without hesitation.

I have purchased 4 prs guitars without playing them first. I'm comfortable doing that as neck carves don't seem to matter that much to me although I do like WF. What does matter to me is controls placement, as long as things are in the same place I'm ok. PRS makes such a great product I just don't worry about not liking a guitar I purchase. I wouldn't do that with any other brand unless the guitar is priced really low or it's a parts donor.

At first I had to play them. But since about 2000, I've simply ordered what I want. No problems at all.

Thanks everyone for the help. The only non-SE in my area are used so no hang tags with pickup options. The 59/09 sound hotter and slightly more modern which will suite my style well.

Thanks everyone for the help. The only non-SE in my area are used so no hang tags with pickup options. The 59/09 sound hotter and slightly more modern which will suite my style well.

You can use the previous poster's year info to guide you on which pups are in the CU24. The pups may have been swapped, so you won't know for sure until you pull them.

I've purchased two guitars without playing them before (probably a third once that Zach Myers SE is released). Both turned out well, the LTD I purchased was my main guitar for a solid 5 years actually. Maybe I'm just lucky though.

I purchased all my 3 PRS guitars relying on pictures and the advice of the dealer the only change i made was the neck carve i went from wide fat to pattern regular after getting my second cu22 with old school birds i even ordered my Artist package 513 with hearing the pups since i live in the middle east and could't be happier

All my PRS guitars were purchased without being played first. They all had return policies, and none of them were returned.

I bought my Gibson R9 used from a classified ad over at MLP. It was kinda scary to pay that kind of cash to a stranger, but I'm glad I did.

I really wanted to order an SE245 from Sweetwater during their Black Friday sale, but didn't because I hadn't ever played one and didn't want to be bothered with return shipping if I didn't like it.

Something I always do is if wherever i am doesn't have a certain guitar a want to try, I try similar guitars. So in your case maybe you could go try out a guitar with the similar neck and see how you like that part of it. Not exactly ideal but I just do it to give me a better idea of what I'm getting myself into.

2 out of my 3 PRS were ordered without hearing/playing one. No one around where I was had the SCHBII or PRS bass. Both are killer!
Only regret is that the SCHB doesn't have a coil split. One day a trip to the PRS PTC will rectify that I would think. I knew that going in, but I figured it would have the wiring to do it after. It doesn't.
PRS have a VERy high quality control. I am always confident they will come in great condition (if new).

I ordered my John Connolly Les Paul without playin it and couldn't be happier with it.

And I preordered the new Zach Myers SE and have no worries at all. Having the pickups and all electronics, and a new nut replaced and setup in Drop C before it gets here.

years ago i wouldnt have thought of buying before trying. now it's just a way of life...

Almost every guitar I own was purchased without playing it first. The only exceptions were my Seagull S12 and my Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass.

But my PRSi? All bought without playing first:
My first PRS, a 1999 Custom 24 stoptail w/ Regular neck, was a special order, so there was no way to play it before I bought it. I eventually sold it - I came to prefer the wide/thin neck profile and the trem - but it was a fine guitar.
My Hollowbody II was a special order as well (Whale blue, quilt 10-top/back, piezo). It took an extremely long time and an eventual pickup swap for me to come to love this guitar, but I'll never part with it now.
My 2008 Custom 24 was ordered from GC online because the store didn't have a royal blue 10-top in stock. It immediately became my #1 guitar.
My SE Angelus Standard w/piezo was also ordered from GC online because no one in my area had one in stock. There are times when I just can't put it down.

The first two guitars were a gamble, but the latter two were pretty safe. If I didn't like the guitars I could always return them to GC. As it happens, though, the 2008 Cu24 became my favorite guitar ever, and the SE Angelus is my favorite acoustic as well.

Back