Would/have you bought a guitar without playing it first?

jbordash

Hey guys I'm a little new to posting here but I wonder if anyone has bought a guitar without playing it first? I'm ordering the Zach Myers HB when it drops for my studio rock/jazz ensemble but they wide fat neck might be bigger than what I'm used to. Also looking for a custom 24 for my new workhorse guitar. I can't see dropping that much cash without playing it first but I've been to every music shop in my area and played all the PRS they have. Closest I found was an SE custom 24 and the neck felt a little chunky. Any thoughts? Good/bad experience buying blind?

As much as possible, I'd suggest trying it out in person first- not just at a shop, but if you can- with you own rig, as well.
I suppose I could say that a couple experiences with PRS buys were 'semi-blind' since I haven't tried out the particular guitars before getting them shipped to me, but with my previous good experience with PRS in particular, and the fact that I was allotted a few days to try them with my own stuff, I say they're all good experiences overall.

I bought a custom 24 on pictures only. PRS is crafted well enough to do this. The only question is if it is a neck profile you are not familiar with.

I was playing my ibanez RG and went straight to the store and played the SE custom 24 and it felt big. The custom 24 is used though so I couldn't send it back. Guitar center had one I couldn't recognize but it had P-90's in it and it felt good.

The last 25 or 30 guitars I've owned I bought off forums or Ebay. No problems at all but neck shapes and such really don't bother me. I like having all different sizes, shapes, and scale lengths. I suppose I'm just weird in that I don't need to get used to a guitar in order to play it. My CE24 has a wide/thin and my CE22 has a wide/fat. My Les Paul is somewhere in between and I have no issue switching between them.
I do all my own work so setups are not an issue. I have yet to get a guitar that I make play well.

I have bought many a PRS without playing them first; I have also returned many a PRS (and others). For USA PRSi, I always get S/N and as many pics as possible.

If you are at all concerned, as much of a P.I.T.A. alot of the mega-chains are, but from them and take advantage of their return policy if you need to. Nothing says that you cannot take your guitar on some field trips to some other local places and A-B-C it against others as well. PRS quality is indeed very consistent; that being said, there are differences, so use the return period to make sure that the guitar is really something you can live with.

If you find the SECU24 neck chunky, then I am not sure what advice to give you - the SEs should have a wide-thin carve, and that's the thinnest PRS makes. The thinnest-feeling PRS neck I have felt is on my early 90s CE bolt-ons - those maple wide-thins feel slinkier than a comparable mahogany wide-thin.

Best of luck on your quest...

I have bought most of my PRSi without playing them first. I'm comfortable doing that mainly because they are easy instruments to resell. However, I would never special order a brand new instrument without having played a similar model.

Every guitar I own was ordered, and never played that model with the exception of trying a yellow 2012 SE Santana for a few minutes, then telling my dealer to order me an orange one.

All of my others were ordered without playing one locally.
I trust the PRS brand that much.

I've bought a few PRS w/o having played them first. I'm comfortable doing that because the quality is that good - I don't worry about getting a dud.

But I've rarely, if ever, bought one that I didn't have hands-on with the neck carve first. If you can try a few different ones out, it's worth getting a feel for each carve. Hands-on is really the only way to get an appreciation for that if you're sensitive about the carve.

Most of my guitars were purchased on "faith" once I got a taste of PRSi I was hooked.
Here are the guitars I got without playing first no regrets with any of them.

I've bought a few online, though I really don't like to do it. I've always played a similar guitar (or the same model) first, though. I'm not sensitive to neck size, so that isn't an issue. Historically, I have been a little sensitive to scale length, so we're gonna have to see if the 24.5 ZM will work.

Good luck on the hunt,

I just got a Private Stock that I spec'ed. That's probably the most unseen that you can get.

I don't put much stock in playing them at the store. You can usually suss out the big problems, but you really need to put it though your own rig for a couple of hours to really hear it.

Thanks for all the feedback so quickly. I bought a set of Tremonti pickups and put them in my dads old LP copy and that's what drew me to prs. I'm looking at a custom 24 with the pattern thin neck and 59/09's for my new number 1. The main issue is trading in one of my other guitars for it. Of the Maryland made prs's I've found no clerk can tell me what pickups are in it so I'd like to hear them in person first.

I've bought a couple of PRS sight unseen lately (an ME Quattro and an Private Stock). Both freaked me out a bit when I got them. The MEQ was set up unbelievably well. The PS needed a bit of help, if you can believe it. I *almost* didn't like the PS, until I made the adjustments. Now... it's a great guitar, one of my favs.

As for the Custom 24 question... The pick types of a PRS will be listed on the hang tag. Depending upon the year, and the specs, it could be the VB/HFS (Vintage Bass neck and Hot, Fat Screamer bridge), it could be 59/09s, or 57/08s. 2012 & 2014 have the 59/09s, and 2013 had the 57/08s. You can't go wrong with any of those pickups. My favorite pickups are the 59/09s, they work great with the Custom 24s. 57/08s are a little too vintage for my taste, even though I have them in my Custom 24 PS, and really love them in a Custom 24 IRW at a local GC.

Good luck!

I've bought most unseen/played. All were worthy of keeping. Most stay(ed) for a considerable amount of time. I've kept more than I've let go.

Back