Worth upgrading DGT SE ?

Texsunburst59

A new DGT SE costs about $975 with tax.

If upgraded everything to Core pickups,hardware , and electronics , you’d probably spend about $1200+/-

So cost of new DGT SE plus all upgrades, you’d be into it about $2200+/-

Would this be a better route than spending $3200 or so on a used Core DGT ?

Asking for a friend.

Go core for that money.. without a doubt. Now if you went the used and deal hunt route the SE might be a cool way to go. Great platforms for modding but getting your cash back on resale is unlikely.

I'm all about upgrading SE's with new pickups and sometimes hardware. They're the best platform for pickup upgrades that I know of because that's where PRS cuts back a little to make it a budget guitar, while the rest of the SE build is usually first rate.

If you could pick through a few SE DGT's and find the most resonant and possibly lightest one, then what you propose might get you a great DGT at a budget price.

And who knows? You might end up liking it just as it is.

Can you purchase the Core DGT pickups separately? If you can I didn't know you could.

I'd rather have a Core DGT if money was no object.

The Core DGT sounds better to me than the SE. More lively.

At about the 10 minute mark he switches to his old Core DGT.

Last edited:
I'm all about upgrading SE's with new pickups and sometimes hardware. They're the best platform for those kind of mods I know of.

If you could pick through a few SE DGT's and find the most resonant and possibly lightest one, then what you propose might get you a great DGT at a budget price.

And who knows? You might end up liking it just as it is.

Can you purchase the Core DGT pickups separately? If you can I didn't know you could.

I'd love to own a Core DGT though.

The Core DGT sounds better to me than the SE. More lively.

At about the 10 minute mark he switches to his old Core DGT.

No you can’t buy new DGT pickups from PRS, but every so often you can find a used set online.

No you can’t buy new DGT pickups from PRS, but every so often you can find a used set online.
They're 7.3K and 9K alnico 2 pickups. That's also the specs for Duncan Antiquitys but it would be a special order to get them in 4 conductor cable. Which is what you'll need for the coil splits.

Still...might be a good choice if you can't find real core DGT pickups.

Bare Knuckle Abraxas might be an awesome choice too.

Back