Worst Namr for a band

captdg

okay , what was the worst name or most unusual band name that you have heard of..."Cradle of Filth" comes to mind..I played in a short lived band once called "Grindersnatch"

Btw does Cradle of Filth have any good tunes?

Any name that's a phrase.
Any name with "dying", "death", or "burial" in it. As I Lay Dying, Between The Buried And Me--urrgh! Someone ought to name a band Death To The Buried...
However, I always thought The Grateful Dead was a cool name.

Last edited:
okay , what was the worst name or most unusual band name that you have heard of..."Cradle of Filth" comes to mind..I played in a short lived band once called "Grindersnatch"

Btw does Cradle of Filth have any good tunes?

If you heard Cradle of Filth, you'd find that the name is fitting. Some bands just need terrible names, like Biohazard and Cannibal Corpse, etc.

Any name that's a phrase.
Any name with "dying", "death", or "burial" in it. As I Lay Dying, Between The Buried And Me--urrgh! Someone ought to name a band Death To The Buried...
However, I always thought The Grateful Dead was a cool name.

There's an indie band called Murder By Death. Stupid, stupid name.

And the Academy Is also comes to mind.
Meat Puppets
Butthole Surfers

I think most of the 1980's Hair Bands had some stupid/aweful names (not all) take your pick:

[FONT=verdana,arial] 1. Mötley Crüe
2. KISS
3. Guns N' Roses
4. Def Leppard
5. Scorpions
6. Whitesnake
7. Dokken
8. Aerosmith (80's era)
9. Tesla
10. Bon Jovi
11. Skid Row
12. Alice Cooper
13. Cinderella
14. Poison
15. W.A.S.P.
16. RATT
17. Stryper
18. Quiet Riot
19. Hanoi Rocks
20. Twisted Sister
21. Extreme
22. Great White
23. Warrant
24. Y & T
25. Kix
26. White Lion
27. L.A. Guns
28. Mr. Big
29. Damn Yankees
30. Faster Pussycat
31. Firehouse
32. Slaughter
33. David Lee Roth
34. Vinnie Vincent Invasion
35. Winger
36. Love/Hate
37. Night Ranger
38. Enuff Z Nuff
39. Nitro
40. Helix
41. Europe
42. Lita Ford
43. Thunder
44. Steelheart
45. Lynch Mob
46. Badlands
47. Vixen
48. Autograph
49. Keel
50. Dangerous Toys
[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,arial]51. Bang Tango
52. Whitecross
53. Jackyl
54. Micheal Monroe
55. Vain
56. Kick Axe
57. Giant
58. Bullet Boys
59. Steeler
60. EZO
61. Trixter
62. Danger Danger
63. Tyketto
64. Lizzy Borden
65. Britny Fox
66. Jetboy
67. Zodiac Mindwarp
68. Pretty Boy Floyd
69. Junkyard
70. Hurricane
71. Tuff
72. Roxy Blue
73. Black 'n' Blue
74. Aldo Nova
75. Angel
76. House of Lords
77. Wildside
78. Candy Harlots
79. Wrathchild
80. The Darkness
81. Babylon A.D.
82. Tora Tora
83. T.N.T.
84. Sleeze Beez
85. Blue Murder
86. King Kobra
87. Vince Neil
88. The Scream
89. Shotgun Messiah
90. Contraband
91. Killer Dwarfs
92. Mr. Nasty
93. Wild Boyz
94. Kik Tracee
95. Southgang
96. Rockhead
97. Beau Nasty
98. Ace Frehley
99. Saigon Kick
100. Nelson
[/FONT]

I think most of the 1980's Hair Bands had some stupid/aweful names (not all) take your pick:

How are those any worse than current band names? Nickelback, Maroon 5, Black Eyed Peas, Alabama Shakes, Little Big Town, Mindless Behavior, Of Monsters and Men, The Black Keys, The White Stripes, Kid Rock, Wavves, etc.

Or bands in the 50's? The Du Droppers, The Moonglows, The Larks, Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers, Rhythm Orchids, etc.

I'm not defending the hair bands, just pointing out that there has always been bands with bad names. And for the 80's, we can't forget the non-hair bands with stupid names - Pet Shop Boys, Beastie Boys, INXS, Salt-N-Pepa, The Bangles, Tears for Fears, Spandau Ballet, etc.

The Bovine Fury is a terrible band name. There, I said it. It's a play on Mad Cow, which is a much better band name, but has been used probably two dozen times. I used to be in a band called Chief Beef. That was a much better band name. No, I don't have a cow fetish, why do you ask?

But then, most band names are bad to terrible. Even Dave Grohl said Foo Fighters was a terrible band name. The whole concept is pretty silly if you really think about it. They only really serve to distinguish one band from another. We might as well all have serial numbers. But you know, it's the same as DNS, it's too hard to remember an IP address and port number on a given server to get to a website, so they all have names.

I will disagree on the Black Keys....I think that's a pretty clever name.

The Bovine Fury is a terrible band name. There, I said it.
However, I must say it's the most creative out of any of the bands we're playing with next Friday. Altered Silence! Sepsis! Something to Kill! Ahhhhh, metal bands. They're really so cookie cutter and generic. We're only playing this show because my brother will be in town.

Butt Hole Surfers - really?? those guys should have been slapped repeatedly...
But they were truly creative and original. There never was, nor has there been anything like them, ever. My brother used to joke that they had a bathtub filled with pure liquid LSD, and they'd each take a half hour soak in it and go write and and record an album before they came down. Well, before their major label days and their brush with the mainstream, anyway.

Butt Hole Surfers - really?? those guys should have been slapped repeatedly...

Butt Hole Surfers... That is a bad name but memorable I suppose! Would hate to have to ask where I can locate the Butt Hole Surfers in a record shop!

Right Said Fred
Fast Food Rockers
Chumbawumba
Toad The Wet Sprocket
Limp Bizkit

Few ones too rude for this forum...

Any band that substitutes a number or symbol for a letter!!!

In the late 80s/early 90s, there was an all-day metal festival 'round these parts. I remember virtually nothing about it except for one band's name...

Sharon Tate's Baby.

Back