worst mod

In 1970 I had a tune-o-matic bridge installed on a 1965 SG Special. Back then, it was just an old guitar, no one worried about keeping it original in those days, and truthfully, it sounded better with the TOM, and stayed in tune better.

But I couldn’t afford to have it refinished, so the tech simply glued some mahogany dowels in the holes where the old Gibson one piece bridge was, and stained the ends to match the cherry finish. The guitar is still around, and still looks every bit as homely as it did in 1970. I just didn’t care how a guitar looked back then.

Obviously, any value compared to an un-modded one is minimal. But I got an awful lot of use out of that thing; at least, that’s my excuse for destroying its value! ;)
I've seen mother of pearl dots used to cover the holes also.

Worst I have seen was a near mint 1936 Gibson L5 that had been in a guys family for decades. He took it to a local shop and asked them for a pickup that could be put on without changing or hurting the guitar in any way. Left it there after the owner assured the guy he would take extra special care of it.
I was there when the customer opened the case to see his guitar.
The man started to cry and become very angry when he saw his family heirloom.

The shop owner drilled 4 holes in the top of that L5 and screwed on some kinda pickup.

That was the worst thing I have ever seen, guitar related. I felt so bad for that customer.

The idiot shop owner was proud of his work and couldn't understand why the customer was mad. He deserved a punch in the nose.

Glad I work on my own gear.

Reactions: jxe
75??? 80?????

Everyone know 60 is the...

true%2Bgrit.jpg

I guess that, myself being more of a traditionalist, I never thought of 60.

Back