Worn / Reliced PRSZ

I dunno.

There's a certain vanity in an artificially aged instrument that tends to annoy me. Maybe it's the idea that someone needs to pretend, wants to try to fool the world, etc.

While a truly old instrument with a story to tell is appealing for some reason.

This subject constantly comes up on Fender forums along with what's the main difference between MIA and MIM. I's say it's a 50/50 split for and against with most of those who hate it giving similar reasons to what you have said above. I can understand your view point.

I have are one quality Strat partscaster that is a relic and I would have to say that by virtue of that fact it is an incredibly comfortable and great sounding instrument. Helped out by quality pick ups and hardware. It's about 4 years old and has no name on the headstock so I'm not trying very hard to pretend that it's something that it's not. It's probably the Strat I pick up most often because it has a beautiful v neck and I have no concerns about it getting damaged or dirty or who plays it. At the same time what paint is there still gets polished and it is otherwise looked after.

I have a few CS Strats and a genuinely LE USA Cabronita, Gibson LP Custom amongst other nice Fenders and other guitars and while I play them all I am a lot more careful with them when they are out, cleaning and re casing after use. Even my old beater 79 Strat gets looked after with great care as it's no spring chicken and has been a workhorse. Despite the fact that it comes from Fenders darkest period it is well screwed together unlike many from that era and they aren't making any more 79's. Most of you are thinking that's a good thing....

Its nice to have a quality guitar that by virtue of the way it's been finished leaves you free not to stress about a bump or scratch ? It's not a cheap guitar by any means but I'm happy to let my little nephew bang away on it. There's nothing else I own that I would do that with and yet I have guitars like a Parker P44 Pro that is worth a third of my relic. Strange ?

My PRS like my other keepers will never spend a night out of it's case. But it will be used and may still suffer the odd chip or ding but I will try my best to avoid this for as long as possible.

Last edited:
I dunno.

There's a certain vanity in an artificially aged instrument that tends to annoy me. Maybe it's the idea that someone needs to pretend, wants to try to fool the world, etc.

This.

As for all the worry and effort folks go thru to keep these guitars "mint" and "pristine", PRS himself will be the first to tell you to just play the dang things...that's what they're built for.
Watch any video of him playing these guitars...he is absolutely not gentle with them.
I don't condone 'abusing' any guitar, but like LS mentioned, the more they get played, the more beautiful they get...

...reminds me of one of my favorite quotes- "Scars are like tattoos, but with better stories..."

artificially aged

Les hit the nail on the head while making another point, ANNOYANCE, FOOLERY... that's for sure, but the real point is that it is ARTIFICIAL. I don't take artificial in my sweeteners, my food flavors...........OR ANYTHING CONCERNING MY MUSIC.

1306964451_resized.jpg

ref=as_li_ss_tl

Les hit the nail on the head while making another point, ANNOYANCE, FOOLERY... that's for sure, but the real point is that it is ARTIFICIAL. I don't take artificial in my sweeteners, my food flavors...........OR ANYTHING CONCERNING MY MUSIC.

I have to use artificial sweeteners because I'm diabetic.

Maybe artificially aged guitars solve someone's chronic illness. ;)

In all seriousness though, if you want a relic, and want to pay for it, hey, it's your money.

But if you want a guitar to play and not worry about, that looks old, why not just buy a used guitar? And not worry about it?

Last edited:
Sorry, if much rather have any relic happen naturally over time, not from the factory or paying someone to do it for me... At least if I do it myself, I get the enjoyment of playing my instrument ☺️

I have to use artificial sweeteners because I'm diabetic.

Maybe artificially aged guitars solve someone's chronic illness. ;)

In all seriousness though, if you want a relic, and want to pay for it, hey, it's your money.

But if you want a guitar to play and not worry about, that looks old, why not just buy a used guitar? And not worry about it?

Well, he may have a problem with sugar, but at least he knows the deal. Want old & beat up?.....buy used.

Last edited:
Well, he may have a problem with sugar, but at least he knows the deal. Want old & beat up?.....by used.

Agreed, but the problem with buying a PRS used is that they are very seldom beat up. Most barely have a nick on them.

I wasn't trying to start arguments over the pro's or con's of relied guitars. It seems to be a subject that polarises opinion in the guitar world.

As a new PRS owner I just wantsed to see well used / road worn (In Fender speak) PRS guitars. Like others have said they appear to be fairly thin on the ground in the S/H market. I think the examples posted so far look great and that anyone who appreciates the "lived in look", despite their brand allegiances would have to agree.

Keep em coming.

Last edited:
I dunno.

"And now for the finishing touch on this masterpiece. Where's the belt sander?"

I don't get it either. It's posing, for sure, but then it's not all that bad to aspire to something great. I say buy the guitar and PLAY, PLAY, PLAY ON. It'll happen!

I bought a used SE and there was not a scratch on it, but the guy put stickers on it.
What a pain to remove. A bit of elbow grease I managed to get the sticker off the head stock,
but I am having so much trouble getting the sticker off the tremolo cover.
Other than that it has no scratches or dents.

I bought a used SE and there was not a scratch on it, but the guy put stickers on it.
What a pain to remove. A bit of elbow grease I managed to get the sticker off the head stock,
but I am having so much trouble getting the sticker off the tremolo cover.
Other than that it has no scratches or dents.

Enjo. Those microfibres cloths are great for that.

I dont sell it but it's great stuff to keep you guitars all sparkly and new. What the.....I'm sabotaging my own thread ?

I agree with the general consensus (yes, I'm a sheep), artificially ageing a guitar seems kinda weird. Especially when you can buy a used guitar that may be just as beat up but get it for a significant discount from the new/mint price because it is so dinged up.

I blame all the well-heeled poseurs who want to look like they've been playing grungy bars all their life (when really they've been driving a desk in some office...wait, that's me!).

My 1979 Les Paul Deluxe is still in mint condition (or pretty close). And I've played it a fair bit - I'm the second owner, the original was a co-worker who bought it new all that time ago. I expect my PRSi to not get dinged about and stay "fairly new looking", but I only play gigs every weekend or so (plus weekly band practice and my own home-noodling).

Scratches, dents, faded finish and the rest are almost inevitable. Provenance comes from a real history.

Some people like a worn guitar. Maybe for its comfort and freedom from fear of further wear. Maybe they just like the way it looks. To them I say, "Grab your chisels and sandpaper and make it yours!"

But to those who are 'relicing' a guitar to try to perpetrate a fraud, increase its value, instill a false provenance, I have very different things to say.

Back