Work

Man, reading all these posts made me kinda miss work....bahahahaha!

Seriously though, I "Tele-commuted" the last three years I was able to work. Pretty much the only time I had to travel was to shmooze clients, and twice a year sales meeting in Chicago...one of which was always in January:rolleyes:!?

Overall, really the only thing I miss about work, is the extra "disposable income" for toys...well that and going to Monday morning sales meetings (confrence call) in my underwear. That was pretty rad!:D

Last edited:
It would be tough to work from home...with all those temptations just a couple feet away....hell, I can't even work and listen to music at the same time... but I absolutely love my job. Very lucky.

It's not that bad if you can focus. I have to wear headphones at the office to block out all the distractions. At home, I can crank the stereo. Music helps keep me focused, and when I'm coding or writing specs, it gets me into a rhythm that keeps me rolling. When I'm debugging - instrumental metal is really good.

Alan...nope...my mind always goes to ...hmmm, what kinda bass is that? ... are they active or passive PUs?...I could never keep my mind on the Existing Utility matrix I'm SUPPOSED to be completing!! And what's "focus"???

Alan...nope...my mind always goes to ...hmmm, what kinda bass is that? ... are they active or passive PUs?...I could never keep my mind on the Existing Utility matrix I'm SUPPOSED to be completing!! And what's "focus"???

My wife thinks I'm nuts because I've complained about noise in the office then thrown on headphones and cranked music. But it's structured noise versus unstructured. And it helps lock me into a little cocoon where I can block out everything around me and get done what I need to get done. It's just something that has worked for me since I was a kid when we listened to music on kerosene-powered turntables. I can throw on headphones and walk through code and keep a bunch of variables in my head, no issue. But if I hear a conversation around me, it totally throws me off and I have to start from scratch.

Gave my 2 weeks notice today. On to bigger and better adventures.

You and me both bro!! been struggling big time in my game since last October.
Just been offered a job a week monday and with better pay. Onwards and upwards as they say:).

Congrats to both of you! No pay bump in my move - I probably could have gotten a bump to stay where I was - when I told my new boss they were starting to make a push, but I didn't ask for it, he did say, "No problem, I know how the game is played. But if I find out they offered you XXXX to stay and you said no, we're going to have a problem. Take care of yourself first." I was already pretty sure I was making the right move, and that made me even more certain.

Congrats to both of you! No pay bump in my move - I probably could have gotten a bump to stay where I was - when I told my new boss they were starting to make a push, but I didn't ask for it, he did say, "No problem, I know how the game is played. But if I find out they offered you XXXX to stay and you said no, we're going to have a problem. Take care of yourself first." I was already pretty sure I was making the right move, and that made me even more certain.
At home bored last 2 days so i started answering the phone with ("Hello Alan Manning speaking musical genius. I'll be busking outside kfc if your walking past pls spare a shekel for an ex leper!!! Guess i can upgrade to burger king now)!!!:D

My wife thinks I'm nuts because I've complained about noise in the office then thrown on headphones and cranked music. But it's structured noise versus unstructured. And it helps lock me into a little cocoon where I can block out everything around me and get done what I need to get done. It's just something that has worked for me since I was a kid when we listened to music on kerosene-powered turntables. I can throw on headphones and walk through code and keep a bunch of variables in my head, no issue. But if I hear a conversation around me, it totally throws me off and I have to start from scratch.
Totally identify with this.
I had to move my desk from an open environment into a normal office at work. Loud talkers, and lots of them... I couldn't concentrate, or contemplate, or computate, or mast... OK nevermind.

Back