Work

It did suck today for sure but I always get through it.

Weightronix makes a very good product but their truck scale design makes it THE most difficult in regards to load cell removal.

I have my own little tricks I use to get them out quicker but these intermittent load cell problems take a lot of time to diagnose.

I changed jobs at the tail end of last year. It's something that I'd been looking to do for a few years now, but several times it was delayed by a sense of duty, just as often by a lack of opportunity. Same company, different department. One of the big reasons is I needed a change after 17 years of working on the same application, all but about four years of that as a solo act doing everything including administrative stuff that is just not my cup of tea - or strength. Another reason is that now I'm part of a team that actually wants me - for the last 15+ years, I've been on teams because I "have to report to somebody". I've worked with this guy and his team on several upgrade projects, so there was already a level of trust there. I'll get to diversify, I don't have to carry all the weight, I keep my work at home arrangement. Other than feeling like I abandoned the group I used to support (who had to scramble to find a way to replace me), I couldn't see a reason not to do it. And the biggest thing is it was a move I was in control of - the last couple moves I was told, "you're going to report to this team now". And there was one more of those coming (and that move had been in the works for a few years, but the new team I was supposed to go to wasn't exactly busting their humps to get me over there). So I'm hoping this ends up being the positive move I think it will be.

I normally enjoy my job. Great company, great benefits and great co workers but there are occasions where I'd rather stay home.........today is one of those days.

3 degrees with 17 below wind chill here in SE Iowa and I'll be working outside most of the day.

Truck scale down probably needs a new load cell.

Friday looks like snow for our area but I'll be inside at FedEx so that's ok but today is going to suck.

Stay warm folks.
I promise to stop complaining when the temperature occasionally dips below 50 degrees where I live (usually only at night). Stay warm.

I changed jobs at the tail end of last year. It's something that I'd been looking to do for a few years now, but several times it was delayed by a sense of duty, just as often by a lack of opportunity. Same company, different department. One of the big reasons is I needed a change after 17 years of working on the same application, all but about four years of that as a solo act doing everything including administrative stuff that is just not my cup of tea - or strength. Another reason is that now I'm part of a team that actually wants me - for the last 15+ years, I've been on teams because I "have to report to somebody". I've worked with this guy and his team on several upgrade projects, so there was already a level of trust there. I'll get to diversify, I don't have to carry all the weight, I keep my work at home arrangement. Other than feeling like I abandoned the group I used to support (who had to scramble to find a way to replace me), I couldn't see a reason not to do it. And the biggest thing is it was a move I was in control of - the last couple moves I was told, "you're going to report to this team now". And there was one more of those coming (and that move had been in the works for a few years, but the new team I was supposed to go to wasn't exactly busting their humps to get me over there). So I'm hoping this ends up being the positive move I think it will be.

Working from home if the environment is conducive to work in is a good deal - a time saver & a cost saver. I did it for the last 5 years of my career before I retired. I used to go into the office once a week, just to make sure people knew who I was. I hope things work out for you.

Working from home if the environment is conducive to work in is a good deal - a time saver & a cost saver. I did it for the last 5 years of my career before I retired. I used to go into the office once a week, just to make sure people knew who I was. I hope things work out for you.

Thanks. I've worked at home for over 15 years. I've been far more productive that way and gotten some of my best performance reviews. Plus, it's a ton less mental strain when you know if the weather's bad, you can just walk down the hall and it's not a big deal. I was talking to someone about it a few months ago - we used to treat it as a huge badge of honor that we could make it in to work in the worst conditions. Now we just look out the window and say, "Screw that, where's the hot chocolate?"

Thanks. I've worked at home for over 15 years. I've been far more productive that way and gotten some of my best performance reviews. Plus, it's a ton less mental strain when you know if the weather's bad, you can just walk down the hall and it's not a big deal. I was talking to someone about it a few months ago - we used to treat it as a huge badge of honor that we could make it in to work in the worst conditions. Now we just look out the window and say, "Screw that, where's the hot chocolate?"
I’m in the same boat. Working from home is way more productive, for me. I felt guiltily the first year, or so. Not any more. I’m in Chicago, but support our Western Region (west of the Mississippi). No reason for me to go to the office other than to be social.

I’m in the same boat. Working from home is way more productive, for me. I felt guiltily the first year, or so. Not any more. I’m in Chicago, but support our Western Region (west of the Mississippi). No reason for me to go to the office other than to be social.
I'm kind of in transition.
I work 2 - 3 days from home per week. As our business further virtualizes we need fewer parts in stock.
That being said, physical IP phones, POE switches, routers and such are in no danger of disappearing. So we need a place to store sold and backup stock.
Not everyone likes to work with a softphone, or a smartphone app, at least not yet.
I like to go to the office 2 - 3 times a week to be with the people that are there every day. Keeps the team thing happening.
We no longer sell physical phone systems that would be installed on premises. It's all in our data centre.
I love it!

I'm kind of in transition.
I work 2 - 3 days from home per week. As our business further virtualizes we need fewer parts in stock.
That being said, physical IP phones, POE switches, routers and such are in no danger of disappearing. So we need a place to store sold and backup stock.
Not everyone likes to work with a softphone, or a smartphone app, at least not yet.
I like to go to the office 2 - 3 times a week to be with the people that are there every day. Keeps the team thing happening.
We no longer sell physical phone systems that would be installed on premises. It's all in our data centre.
I love it!

Woo! \o/

Telecommuters rep-re-sent!

I still end up having to travel for work a couple of times a year, but it sure beats traffic!

My boss has the temperament of a f@cking toddler!

Don't you hate it when they "have a problem"? And they expect you to solve it for them?

Rule of thumb: They make the mess, they clean it up. If perhaps you must be the adult, tell them to go clean up their own mess. Just like a parent would tell a toddler to go clean up his own room.

Or you could be cool(er) and say, "Homey don't play dat."

P.S. Have a donut.

Last edited:
Back