Work

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gush, Jan 16, 2020.

1. gush

gush She said "huge bag of dibs".

Ha ha ha....that is something I have to consider every day.

If I don't have suitable bathroom services where I'm going any particular day then I pass on morning coffee!

Bill SAS 513, ScottR, BMiller and 4 others like this.
  2. gush

It did suck today for sure but I always get through it.

Weightronix makes a very good product but their truck scale design makes it THE most difficult in regards to load cell removal.

I have my own little tricks I use to get them out quicker but these intermittent load cell problems take a lot of time to diagnose.

g.wizz, ScottR and bodia like this.
  3. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules New and improved member

And pee. I mean, you try to pee outside in that and.... (shuddering... don’t want to even finish this sentence!).

Bill SAS 513, g.wizz, ScottR and 3 others like this.
  4. gush

Oh and I envy all that made it to retirement.

Wife and I have 11 more years then we're OUTTA HERE!!!!

Bill SAS 513, g.wizz, ScottR and 5 others like this.
  5. Ryan Murphy

Ryan Murphy Stares at bright lights

No matter how many times you poo or pee in sub zero weather you never get used to it

6. Tucson Thump

Tucson Thump Mint Heavy Relic

Throughout history this has been a common complaint .

ScottR, Alnus Rubra, bodia and 2 others like this.
  7. Wakester

Wakester Re Member

If you get fired, do you post the position on indeed or tinder?

8. Wakester

Wakester Re Member

Had that job for about a year. I kind of think id rather do that, than what i am doing now.

9. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc Get in, loser, we’re going shopping.

It can be mad frustrating at times, but I’m blessed to have the opportunity to do it.

10. Wakester

Wakester Re Member

In the end, there are no regrets. It was worth losing my job (twice) to spend that precious time with my daughter.

11. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Nah. My wife then tells me I need a job, so I have to hire myself again. It’s a vicious circle.

Believe me, if I could find a suitable replacement for myself I’d do it, but no one else wants to work for a terrible boss like me.

12. alantig

alantig Zombie Four, DFZ

I changed jobs at the tail end of last year. It's something that I'd been looking to do for a few years now, but several times it was delayed by a sense of duty, just as often by a lack of opportunity. Same company, different department. One of the big reasons is I needed a change after 17 years of working on the same application, all but about four years of that as a solo act doing everything including administrative stuff that is just not my cup of tea - or strength. Another reason is that now I'm part of a team that actually wants me - for the last 15+ years, I've been on teams because I "have to report to somebody". I've worked with this guy and his team on several upgrade projects, so there was already a level of trust there. I'll get to diversify, I don't have to carry all the weight, I keep my work at home arrangement. Other than feeling like I abandoned the group I used to support (who had to scramble to find a way to replace me), I couldn't see a reason not to do it. And the biggest thing is it was a move I was in control of - the last couple moves I was told, "you're going to report to this team now". And there was one more of those coming (and that move had been in the works for a few years, but the new team I was supposed to go to wasn't exactly busting their humps to get me over there). So I'm hoping this ends up being the positive move I think it will be.

PDC, toothace, Bill SAS 513 and 11 others like this.
  13. CVS

CVS Not so new member

I promise to stop complaining when the temperature occasionally dips below 50 degrees where I live (usually only at night). Stay warm.

ScottR, bodia and alantig like this.
  14. CVS

CVS Not so new member

Working from home if the environment is conducive to work in is a good deal - a time saver & a cost saver. I did it for the last 5 years of my career before I retired. I used to go into the office once a week, just to make sure people knew who I was. I hope things work out for you.

ScottR, bodia and alantig like this.
  15. alantig

alantig Zombie Four, DFZ

Thanks. I've worked at home for over 15 years. I've been far more productive that way and gotten some of my best performance reviews. Plus, it's a ton less mental strain when you know if the weather's bad, you can just walk down the hall and it's not a big deal. I was talking to someone about it a few months ago - we used to treat it as a huge badge of honor that we could make it in to work in the worst conditions. Now we just look out the window and say, "Screw that, where's the hot chocolate?"

CVS, ScottR, bodia and 3 others like this.
  16. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

I’m in the same boat. Working from home is way more productive, for me. I felt guiltily the first year, or so. Not any more. I’m in Chicago, but support our Western Region (west of the Mississippi). No reason for me to go to the office other than to be social.

CVS, ScottR and Alnus Rubra like this.
  17. dmatthews

dmatthews Dave's not here...

I'm kind of in transition.
    I work 2 - 3 days from home per week. As our business further virtualizes we need fewer parts in stock.
    That being said, physical IP phones, POE switches, routers and such are in no danger of disappearing. So we need a place to store sold and backup stock.
    Not everyone likes to work with a softphone, or a smartphone app, at least not yet.
    I like to go to the office 2 - 3 times a week to be with the people that are there every day. Keeps the team thing happening.
    We no longer sell physical phone systems that would be installed on premises. It's all in our data centre.
    I love it!

CVS, ScottR, veinbuster and 1 other person like this.
  18. Black Plaid

Black Plaid just another Alan

Woo! \o/

Telecommuters rep-re-sent!

I still end up having to travel for work a couple of times a year, but it sure beats traffic!

ScottR, bodia and dmatthews like this.
  19. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

I work five minutes from home, so it’s like I am! And sometimes do

Bill SAS 513, ScottR and bodia like this.
  20. CandidPicker

CandidPicker Feed & Seed

Don't you hate it when they "have a problem"? And they expect you to solve it for them?

Rule of thumb: They make the mess, they clean it up. If perhaps you must be the adult, tell them to go clean up their own mess. Just like a parent would tell a toddler to go clean up his own room.

Or you could be cool(er) and say, "Homey don't play dat."

P.S. Have a donut.

#40 CandidPicker, Jan 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    ScottR likes this.