Word Of The Day ... or, Maybe Life

IKnowALittle

... Empathy
Makes life a lot easier and more pleasant if u have the emotional intelligence to take advantage of it.

... or,
positively fourth street ...

I wish that for just one time you could stand inside my shoes
And just for that one moment I could be you
Yes, I wish that for just one time you could stand inside my shoes
You'd know what a drag it is to see you

dylan, a very perceptive man and incredible talent.
tragically, and I mean that, he is already being forgotten.

Last edited:
dylan, a very perceptive man and incredible talent.
tragically, and I mean that, he is already being forgotten.

I got nothin' on empathy, since I have less empathy for some of the posts we get around here than I have to our hosts, PRS.

But I will say this: lots of young people, such as my son Jamie, venerate Dylan, and he has seen him perform twice, once in Europe. I've seen him perform, too, of course, and will never forget the man or his work.

In fact, I just bought hi-res versions of Dylan's catalog a few months ago.

I grew up during the Dylan years and he, like so many others at the time, wrote stuff that I loved but didn't understand, I was only young. A lot of it written in tongues to me so to speak. Later in life I understand most of it a lot more than I did. If your a muso of any kind you can't really ignore the man, here's there in your face everywhere you look. There were a few that I liked from the era, Tom Paxton was one, "Talking vietnam potluck blues" comes to mind and my favourite of them all of that ilk Arlo Guthrie.

Steve Earle said:
He was so good that he simultaneously raised it to an art form once and for all and took all the air out of the room at the same time. It’s almost impossible for anybody to do it, because he was so good.

I love this quote from Steve Earle (Acoustic Guitar magazine #249) referring to Dylan and being a folk singer and songwriter. I think I might count as a second-generation Dylan fan at 38 (well, 39 this week) years old. I think appreciation for Dylan (and the same sort of incredible songwriting, which I see in Steve Earle, and Jason Isbell) is somewhat hit-or-miss in my generation. Or maybe I'm at the inflection point. I seem to see it more in people my age and older, and much less in people even just a couple of years younger than I am.

My word for this particular day to our IT idiots would be "expeditiously", in other words "get the $^%* on with it"!!

Sounds like Groucho Marx on the TV show "You Bet Your Life".

The secret woid for today is "stash. It's a common article found every day around the house." ;)

He is certainly not forgotten here:

It ain't me, babe...
No, no, no, it ain't me, babe.
It ain't me you're lookin' for, babe.

The reality is, that Dylan will not be forgotten by people interested in music and his history and effect. Fortunately, there will always be people like that.
Over the fall and winter months, I gig about 15 times a month. Starting on Canader Day ... eh!, I could gig every day of the summer if I wanted.
I gig in every venue u can imagine, playin' hard, hard rock to bluegrass (banjo). Out of personal interest, I wanted to chat with the young millennials, about what kind of music they listened to
and who they might recognize. This isn't any scientific study, just me shootin' the sh!t with people under 30.
Most of us would be appalled at how few have heard of Dylan, I would say about 40%, and this better than it sounds. Only about 10% could name an actual Dylan song. And, I won't get into others.
This is to be totally expected, time doesn't stop, things change and we move on, stagnant or die.

Last edited:
Back