Woodworking Projects

I build RC Sailplanes. Here’s a (ahem) larger one from 2 years back, pre-covering. It’s called a Sagitta Cross Country. Wingspan is 14’6”. Not very relaxing to fly, considering time and $$$ invested. And you thought guitars were bad! :eek:

Ko0JGvz.jpg

That is awesome!

I once was working on some electrical cabling for my grandfather. I went for a pee, came back, picked up the 8 wires I was working on, and BUZZZZZZZZZ

Several severe electrical burns in my hand, and an exit burn on my arse!

He thought I'd finished and turned the power back on . . . .

Still have the scars to remind me.

Ouch!!

I've been learning to work wood through lockdown.

My first project was to build a stand for some of my guitars, if you're interested, plans can be found here: https://1drv.ms/b/s!AgAtEeNrW7APgZdeiirQm1OwAAwMBg

It's a triple stand, 5 wooden components, 3 guitar wall hooks, and 9 felt buffers, all details for the components are in the PDF above.

23-D8-EE7-C-F607-4-A29-9-AF3-D47-EEF48-CBF9.jpg

A4475-AB8-0032-49-B7-AC3-A-7-AB397-A2-DE8-E.jpg

D3-BA03-C7-8032-40-F6-8884-43-EFD4-BC8-C92.jpg

11-D3-ED48-070-C-47-C7-BDA4-BC5-A8-D76936-D.jpg

1-F708-DB4-F1-F1-4088-BFA7-B8-C6-CD8-C6-E11.jpg

FE3-CD978-742-D-49-C0-AA87-9-AE3-E528-C54-E.jpg
That came out really well, now I kinda wanna make my own and ebony stain it.

It's what I do for a living... (I did actually make more money in 2018 and 2019 from music, than woodworking(but not the last couple)

One of my latest projects was refreshing a set of mahogany doors:

Before:
SCcvSr6.jpg

Finished:
qeCDY4y.jpg

A while ago, I built a Telecaster:
zHj7OCA.jpg

I do some other stuff too....
bWUPyPw.jpg
uKJrho9.jpg

These are just a few fo the things I do all the time... I love working with wood. I enjoy it almost as much as stage time.... Almost.

It's what I do for a living... (I did actually make more money in 2018 and 2019 from music, than woodworking(but not the last couple)

Before:
SCcvSr6.jpg

Finished:
qeCDY4y.jpg

zHj7OCA.jpg

bWUPyPw.jpg
uKJrho9.jpg

These are just a few fo the things I do all the time... I love working with wood. I enjoy it almost as much as stage time.... Almost.
Those doors came out very well, very rich color, cool installation with that beam too. I like the knots in the tele.

Before:
SCcvSr6.jpg

Finished:
qeCDY4y.jpg

zHj7OCA.jpg

bWUPyPw.jpg
uKJrho9.jpg

Very nice work.

Before:
SCcvSr6.jpg

Finished:
qeCDY4y.jpg

zHj7OCA.jpg

bWUPyPw.jpg
uKJrho9.jpg

That's some good stuff!

Those doors came out very well, very rich color, cool installation with that beam too. I like the knots in the tele.

It's funny, I don't usually get surprised by a completed project very often. Usually, I'm so done and just ready to move on to the next project (ADHD, what's a brother to do?). But, this one was different.

I installed them in one day, but needed to install some different hardware, and tweak one side of the jam to level up the doors... So, as I was driving back the second morning, driving past, to make a u-turn and park. The sun was just right and the doors were glowing golden! It literally made me snap my head over to look at them. It literally shocked me at how beautiful the wood had turned out.

The Tele was made out of SYP cut down in 1855. They were floor joists up until about 2007 or 2008. There's knots and termite tracks and has this really rich warm tone (visual) to the wood. It's a ***** to work with, as it clogs sandpaper, gums up bandsaw blades... But, good gracious it smells wonderful, it's beautiful to look at and I really, really like the way this Tele sounds and feels!

Came across this one scrolling through my photos. We needed a mantle for our fireplace back in Los Angeles so I asked my father in law to see if he could find an old post laying around their ranch in Texas. There are structures there from the 1880’s so I thought that’d be a cool bit of history. He found this piece of cedar that had been part of an old, now dilapidated cabin. It was covered in sand, bark and cow muck. After a very messy day with a grinder it began to look like something from the Green Dragon in Hobbiton. I finished it with Dutch Oil. We took it with us when we moved but I still need to find a place for it.
5bxWXlN.jpg

WUgnoN1.jpg

Came across this one scrolling through my photos. We needed a mantle for our fireplace back in Los Angeles so I asked my father in law to see if he could find an old post laying around their ranch in Texas. There are structures there from the 1880’s so I thought that’d be a cool bit of history. He found this piece of cedar that had been part of an old, now dilapidated cabin. It was covered in sand, bark and cow muck. After a very messy day with a grinder it began to look like something from the Green Dragon in Hobbiton. I finished it with Dutch Oil. We took it with us when we moved but I still need to find a place for it.
5bxWXlN.jpg

WUgnoN1.jpg
Dig!

I am very fond of working with wooden stuff. My dad taught me when I was a kid, and I grew up to love doing different stuff that involved working with wood. Recently one of my friends who was building his house asked me if I could do some woodworking for his construction. I agreed, and when I came to the workplace, I was deeply surprised to find out that he did not buy any tools I needed. I told him, and he said he would buy everything I needed. I recommend him to buy online from https://www.scrooz.com.au/. They have a lot of qualitative tools that can be labour-saving sometimes.

Last edited:
Back