Woodworking Projects

my first cedar set lasted about 12 years. They turn grey if you don’t re stain them by 3-4 years. By about 10, the wood starts to break down a bit. I found staining periodically extended the life about 5 years. My last set I did in recycled plastic - formed into lumber like strips 5/8 - 1” thick and 4-6” wide.
12 years is pretty good. I sprayed everything with varnish prior to assembling which should help a bit, and I may still try soaking the feet in epoxy, but they're on the deck and not in damp soil so fingers crossed that they'll have a nice long life. If they begin to fade I could always paint them, I've seen some cool mountain designs at ski resorts.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I build RC Sailplanes. Here’s a (ahem) larger one from 2 years back, pre-covering. It’s called a Sagitta Cross Country. Wingspan is 14’6”. Not very relaxing to fly, considering time and $$$ invested. And you thought guitars were bad! :eek:

That's really cool, would love to see a photo of the finished piece.

12 years is pretty good. I sprayed everything with varnish prior to assembling which should help a bit, and I may still try soaking the feet in epoxy, but they're on the deck and not in amp soil so fingers crossed that they'll have a nice long life. If they begin to fade I could always paint them, I've seen some cool mountain designs at ski resorts.
Mine have always been on my deck or patio. I put the wooden ones in the garage some winters, but they are handy to have out in the winter to do silly things like sit to put snowshoes on.
I might still paint the best pair of my old ones - I'll sand down the sitting surface once it warms up a bit more and decide if its worth it. I've seen some nice red and white ones and am pretty sure I can manage a maple leaf on the chair back.

While I'm babbling: the thickness of the wood made a huge difference in the life of the chairs. I used 3/4" wood for one set (I've had 5, usually 2 at a time, last year 4) and it stayed solid a lot longer than 1/2".

Last edited:
While I'm babbling: the thickness of the wood made a huge difference in the life of the chairs. I used 3/4" wood for one set (I've had 5, usually 2 at a time, last year 4) and it stayed solid a lot longer than 1/2".

That’s good to know, I used 3/4” which was really closer to 8/10”. I wanted to use 1” but couldn’t buy it as is and don’t have a planer (yet) to mill down 5/4” planks. They feel solid though.

Last edited:
That’s good to know, I used 3/4” which was really closer to 8/10”. I wanted to use 1” but couldn’t buy it as is and don’t have a planer (yet) to mill down 5/4” planks. They feel solid though.

I planed Tele body by hand from 8/4 down to 7/4 just for the experience. I bought a planer not long after that. It's well worth the price.

That's really cool, would love to see a photo of the finished piece.

Sure:

v90e1a1.jpg

A couple of years ago I was putting a custom built cupboard in our bathroom. I decided it would be a good idea to see if my left middle finger was a match for a spinning circular saw blade. I managed to get away with a small injury to my finger tip. Hurt like a b@seated and made guitar playing a little awkward for a week or two!

My advice is don’t.

Not as bad as one of my buddies who’s Labrador was asleep under the table saw, causing him to take his eye off the ball and slice his whole thumb off! Makes me wince just typing this and he showed me the photos he took at the time!

A couple of years ago I was putting a custom built cupboard in our bathroom. I decided it would be a good idea to see if my left middle finger was a match for a spinning circular saw blade. I managed to get away with a small injury to my finger tip. Hurt like a b@seated and made guitar playing a little awkward for a week or two!

My advice is don’t.

Not as bad as one of my buddies who’s Labrador was asleep under the table saw, causing him to take his eye off the ball and slice his whole thumb off! Makes me wince just typing this and he showed me the photos he took at the time!

I once was working on some electrical cabling for my grandfather. I went for a pee, came back, picked up the 8 wires I was working on, and BUZZZZZZZZZ

Several severe electrical burns in my hand, and an exit burn on my arse!

He thought I'd finished and turned the power back on . . . .

Still have the scars to remind me.

Back