Wood Shortages and inventories

PRSWILL

Went into Dave's Guitars in LaCrosse, Wisconsin a couple of weeks ago and it was VERY evident that stock of new instruments (all makes) seems way down. One of the guys said they can't get Private stock and other guitars right now due to buyers not traveling to pick out wood. Anyone have a clue as to when this might ease up? Seems like everything in every supply chain is screwed up right now. At least all of the FUN stuff!

I'm guessing they're just getting things sorted out and will be traveling soon once air flights resume to Covid-affected nations. You've got to remember that impoverished nations don't have the same level of health care as we do, so they're still trying to recover from this pandemic.

I'd just save your cash until something piques your interest, or if you can stand to wait, order direct from Dave's and put your name on the waiting list.

Me, took a nice walk tonight with a bottle of water. Felt good to clear my head of the cobwebs. It was warm but cool breezes and the bottle of water made it worthwhile.

My wife and I just ordered some nice oak bookshelves and got a message back saying "it's going to take twice as long as usual to build them and fill that order. Do you still want 'em?" The answer was "yes." I guess we wait.

As a Luthier , I've been stockpiling figured wood for decades , the prices in last few years have jumped to obscene levels.
I saw a billet of Koa I bought for $300 a few years back go for over $2000 . Highly figured wood is an increasigly rare commodity . I typically go through 1000 sets for every 1 I purchase .

So let me get this straight… When an individual posts a new thread, new to them, they get tongue lashed for not using the search tool. They get, “Come on dude, this topic has already been discussed way too many times. Don’t you know how to use a search tool?” Yet now when a person posts on an old thread, a thread he either randomly found or one he searched for because it interests him, he’s bashed for doing the exact same thing he was told to do in the first place. There’s a cure for this ailment, it’s called divorce. :p Just playfully poking the beast.:p

No one is “required “ to post on an old thread.
The idea is to read it and get what you need from it and move on.

Bob

Back