Wood Pricing - PS Orders

Is the price of each wood set according to type or is it set individually?

eg, Do all PS grade one piece quilt maple tops cost the same, regardless of their individual appearances?

Or is it a case of individual pricing based on their individual features?

Thanks

Is the price of each wood set according to type or is it set individually?

eg, Do all PS grade one piece quilt maple tops cost the same, regardless of their individual appearances?

Or is it a case of individual pricing based on their individual features?

Thanks
Correct..within the species the charge is the same.

I believe it is a level upgrade system...flame is one price, quit is another, spalt is another, etc...

edit. Never mind. Brian's answer is better:rolleyes:

Last edited:
So why does PRS not name the Mahogany Species that they use, same as Gibson they just say Mahogany. I think that they should state where their wood comes from, I love my SC58 but other guitars I have purchased from Japan provide all the details on every piece of wood that has been used.

So why does PRS not name the Mahogany Species that they use, same as Gibson they just say Mahogany. I think that they should state where their wood comes from, I love my SC58 but other guitars I have purchased from Japan provide all the details on every piece of wood that has been used.

What’s the damn difference if you like the guitar?

Also, in many cases, PRS does identify these details.

So now we need stickers like on new cars indicating the country of origin of all the parts?

I think it’s something of a feel-good thing for folks to obsess over.

As I understand it, most Mahogany they use is Honduran, but PRS will use African ribbon Mahogany on certain WL and PS runs. They sound the same to me (I have both), but sometimes the African ribbon’s a little lighter weight.

The maple tops are most often Western US Big Leaf, because it’s usually got that PRS look, but PRS will use Eastern US maple on some runs and so specify. If there’s a sonic difference between them, I haven’t heard it, and have had quite a few of each type.

There are various woods used in necks, and they’re always specified if anything other than the usual Mahogany. Rosewood is specified as well; PRS uses Indian, Madagascar, and Brazilian.

If they use Alder, they say so; if they use Swamp Ash, they say so. Cocobolo, same. Etc. With the acoustics, the US-made ones are all PS, and the certificate specifies everything.

Going beyond that seems a bit overboard, but that’s how some folks like to roll. Whether it’s important is in the mind of the person asking, I guess.

Last edited:
I could have banged on about Swietenia macrophylla etc., sub-species. Related timbers, Sapele, Utile etc. Whilst you all fell asleep.

It still comes down to how well timber is prepared and therefore made suitable for purpose. All these things that we don’t really consider before the instrument even goes into production.

However, we all get caught up in the species of timbers used and how figured they are.

We’re all “internet experts” and magpies!!:D

Back