wood pickup surrounds

ruk777

does anyone know if/how I can buy wooden pickup frames? Also wood knobs? I have a very nice private stock guitar worth too much money that I would love to have wooden pickup frames on. Thanks

thanks. I LOVE this forum. PRS are the best guitars ever designed in the history of the world. Gibson 59 LP sunburst? Pffft! I'd take a private/custom shop PRS any day. (well, I'd sell the Gibson and buy a shitload of PRSs! HA!)

I am all over that site crazy parts. Does anyone know if these tuner knobs will fit my McCarty Trem guitar:
Custom M6 STD. Abalone/Rosewood
http://tinyurl.com/jbwt4jb
I can't find a link to contact these people for help. I also want to change the tuner knobs on my P28 and my custom 22. Any help would be super appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!

I'm out of town and have a poor memory, not to mention I've only had it for a week. I meant to write P24. That's correct, right? Sorry for the confusion.

I'm out of town and have a poor memory, not to mention I've only had it for a week. I meant to write P24. That's correct, right? Sorry for the confusion.
I was just giving you a hard time, dude.

Man, I tried with the wooden rings, but my ham handedness broke two of two sets. I ended up giving them away, put on the originals and left it at that, they do look cool if you can get them on with no breaking.

For me, the wood rings give a guitar too much of a "pampered poodle" look. I prefer the traditional, stock plastic.

But then, we're all different. And there's no getting around that simple fact!

Neither. Actually a "Reitbergen". Wood block in the center, similar to a 335. So it is not as hollow as the Archtop. However, the bit larger body (relative to a 335) and the thinner top and back (solid wood, rather than plywood) do give it a much more "acoustic" sound and feel than a 335.
As best I can tell, Nik Huber (and others) use the same source as does PRS for some of the "custom" pieces....Crazyparts in Germany.

Man, I tried with the wooden rings, but my ham handedness broke two of two sets.
I had a similar issue with some plastic ones a day or to ago but I don't suppose it was quite so terminal. Always check that the four woodscrews pass easily through the locating holes and, if you have counter sunk holes, make sure they sit properly before screwing them down to the guitar. My problem was there was a slight interference between the ring and the screw that was hardly noticeable until pressure was applied to the screw. I broke one ring but not the second and the replacement. Running a clearance drill through the ring holes sorted it.

I can answer my own question. I think these are AWESOME! And make a huge difference!
http://www.pickuprings.com/holy_grail_sets

You may want to check around and verify that John Guilford at pickuprings.com is still active.

I got several sets of his rings a few years ago, after a bit of prodding. They were fine work.

But I'm hearing over at TGP recently that he's slow, late, and not responding to orders that have been paid for.

I hope this is incorrect because he does good work. Anyone have any experience?

You may want to check around and verify that John Guilford at pickuprings.com is still active.

I got several sets of his rings a few years ago, after a bit of prodding. They were fine work.

But I'm hearing over at TGP recently that he's slow, late, and not responding to orders that have been paid for.

I've been waiting 4 days short of a year for a set of cocobolo 408 rings. I've exchanged emails a few times. Death in the family, really backed up with work, getting ready for a product show, etc etc. Last communication was in January. He hoped to be caught up on old orders in February. Still waiting..........

I purchased my set from him a maybe three years ago. In my experience he was reasonably quick. I think mine took a couple weeks. He told me my set were the first he had done for the squabbins but had me take some measurements for him.

They turned out great and fit perfect, so he does really great work. Also, he provided me with the choice of mounting screws.

I hope he isn't having too many issues getting product out, perhaps his business accelerated at a rate he wasn't prepared for.

Back