Wood Lovers. English Walnut scrap project

11top

Cousin Eddie's cousin
35 years ago, when I was heavily into shotgun stocks, I visited Cecil Fredi in Las Vegas and his extraordinary inventory of shotgun stock blanks. He had thousands on hand, and I ended up choosing a killer quilted maple piece which I later had made into a stock for a Citori 12 gauge o/u.

Cecil was heavy on English Walnut, which is the king of shotgun wood. While I did not buy a blank of EW that day, Cecil was kind enough to give me a piece that was too small to be used for shotguns. If this piece were large enough for shotguns, it could easily bring $2,500, since it combined both crotch curl and marble cake figuring. I kept this piece all these years, but I recently purchased a Colt Python stainless, and I decided it was time to use this piece of wood.

Unfortunately, when cut into smaller pieces, it does lose some of its dramatic effect, but I still am happy with the result. I sent the wood to Hogue, who machined these into revolver grips. The one on the left goes on the Python, and the right one on my Colt Diamondback .22.

I really would have preferred a gloss finish, but Hogue only offers a hand rubbed oil. While I’m happy with the finished product, these photos demonstrate the dramatic difference between satin vrs. gloss over figured wood.

Last edited:
Those are beautiful! I love the look of custom wood grips, and there’s really no prettier DA revolver than a Python… I’m betting the combination is a thing of beauty.

Did you get one of the newer ones, or the original version?

Yes. :oops:

I have the original SS with a 6” barrel, and just got a “new” 4”.
Cool! Once you get a chance to give it a good breaking in, I’d be curious to hear how you feel they compare. I always wanted to get one, and should have done it back when you could do it comfortably into the 3-figure range! But, woulda, shoulda, coulda. I didn’t, and those original ones are crazy high these days! I carried a stainless 686 from my academy days in the 80s into the 90s and still have that one. I always thought a stainless Python would make a nice partner for it. :)

Cool! Once you get a chance to give it a good breaking in, I’d be curious to hear how you feel they compare. I always wanted to get one, and should have done it back when you could do it comfortably into the 3-figure range! But, woulda, shoulda, coulda. I didn’t, and those original ones are crazy high these days! I carried a stainless 686 from my academy days in the 80s into the 90s and still have that one. I always thought a stainless Python would make a nice partner for it. :)

The Smith 686 is a great piece! I have a 4” brl one with a custom grip.

Hogue makes this same grip for a 686, btw. They don’t offer pre-made English Walnut, but do have some nice other species including cocobolo, checkered or non.

Beautiful grips, and im sure they will look stunning on the Python. My Brother in Law has an Original 6" Python, just a joy to shoot. I inherited my Father in Law's 6" S&W 586 last year and haven't had a chance to take it to the range yet with the prices of ammo and trying to find .357 its just crazy.

Back