Wood Library Artist and Wood Library 10-top

Ytolyccuz

I got a limited run Wood Library Mccarty 594 about a month ago. The site I got it from indicates that mine is an Artist Grade top.

I recently saw a Wood Library 10-top Mccarty 594 with a "10" as the marker for a 10-top. Is there a code in my serial or other visual mark that I can use to identify if a top is a 10-top or an artist grade top?

I'm also interested to learn how PRS categorizes their tops and what does it take to ba an Artist Grade top as opposed to a normal and a 10-top.

Looking forward to your feedback! Thank you in advance!

Find the long number on the sticker on the case and Google MODCAT... you can type it in on the web page and it will list everything.

However, since you have a Wood Library, there is most likely a lot shorter code where the MODCAT is normally located. In this case, email PRS support with your serial number and they'll tell you everything they have about your guitar.

While not always true, since it's subjective, generally the Artist grade tops may "pop" a little more, have more intense figuring grain, or just be one a person at the vault said "That's gotta be an Artist top, but not quite Private Stock"... LoL!

Better experts than me on here for sure, though...

Blue is a Wood Library "10", Charcoal Jadeburst is a Wood Library Artist... Hard to tell a difference in person more than the pics.
25439007_10210775099877610_3910618251985734365_o.jpg

24301350_10210689468056868_7980348221186031572_n.jpg

18738790_10209230858032529_7048157625330439611_o.jpg

A ten top has figuring across the top, no dead spots in the pattern.

An artist top has more intense figure, like narrow curl/more curls per inch. I find I prefer wider curls, so the ten tips often look nicer to me.

The artist grade does not have a mark to indicate, but often has nicer inlays, ebony board, etc that also sets it apart.

And Wood Library builds have taken many of these guitars to near Private Stock grade guitars as many here will attest. The guitar shops have made some really fine choices in their Wood Library runs!

Last edited:
If both of my tops were stained the same color, I'd say we'd all have different opinions of which was the 10 and which was the Artist...

“Uniformly across the top” is overrated, IMO. I’ll take unique and character any day.

But I’m admittedly weird.

Agree 100%! There are tons of tops that look a lot better than sharp, perfect, distinct parallel "flame" lines across the guitar.
I also like the more interesting and unique patterns. Probably why I'm rather fond of quilt tops I guess.

“Uniformly across the top” is overrated, IMO. I’ll take unique and character any day.

Agree on both counts, but I may be weirder.

It dawned on me that I scrutinize the look of the guitar with eagle eyeballs before I buy it, but after a few days I don’t look at the guitar except to take it out of the case and play it.

But every so often I look at pics of my guitars. On my phone!!

I mean, I could look at the actual guitars if I wanted to. I just never do!

WTF is up with that?

It dawned on me that I scrutinize the look of the guitar with eagle eyeballs before I buy it, but after a few days I don’t look at the guitar except to take it out of the case and play it.

WTF is up with that?

I concede.

:D:p

I much prefer guitars with 'character' in their grain rather than uniformly even and 'tight' parallel lines across the guitar. My Custom 24 with a 'Chevron' top looks better to me than any 10top (at least flame not quilt maple).

ExpmAXk.jpg

Just a regular 'core' Custom 24 but the Chevron style adds character and the fact that the lines are not even, not the same thickness etc makes this more unique too. I wouldn't go out of my way to get a 10top or AP PRS - but it would have to be something special, more than just the top to pay the premium

I much prefer guitars with 'character' in their grain rather than uniformly even and 'tight' parallel lines across the guitar. My Custom 24 with a 'Chevron' top looks better to me than any 10top (at least flame not quilt maple).

ExpmAXk.jpg

Just a regular 'core' Custom 24 but the Chevron style adds character and the fact that the lines are not even, not the same thickness etc makes this more unique too. I wouldn't go out of my way to get a 10top or AP PRS - but it would have to be something special, more than just the top to pay the premium

That's BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!! Makes the torture of waiting on my Special 22 Limited Edition Artist Package Semi-Hollow that much more of a suffering... LoL!!!
Never had a Fire Red Burst and I'm anxious to see if I pass out after I open the box and case sometime in Q1 2019!!!

Dang, that's a fine guitar!!!

WTF is up with that?

I am weirder than him, but not as weird as him!;)

Back