Wood library… but it’s mahogany and maple.

StSpider

I’m confused about a Custom 24 that is for sale close by.

The guitar is a 10 top wood library, as confirmed by the customer service. However it’s a mahogany neck and body, with maple top and east indian rosewood fretboard.

It was my impression that wood library guitars were supposed to have non standard woods, such as korina or ebony fretboards.

So what makes this a “wood library” guitar? It does have some unusual spec such as regular sized neck, nickel hardware (it’s supposed to be hybrid for 10 tops) and the color that is not a standard offering (black cherry).

Is it possible that wood library in this case means it was just custom ordered by a dealer with some tweaked specs?

Thank you all.

Last edited:
Maybe a nicer top and they put a 10 on the hs by mistake?

I dunno. It certainly qualifies as a 10 top looks wise, very nice figuring and no bald spots whatsoever.

I’m confused about a Custom 24 that is for sale close by.

Is it possible that wood library in this case means it was just custom ordered by a dealer with some tweaked specs?

Thank you all.

Yep. It's like private stock but you have to order at least a pair of I remember what they said when I toured the factory a few years ago.

Wood library often has some special wood, but it is whatever a dealer wanted to make 10 of, and historically, choose the wood for.

Sometimes they have colours not available in core. Sometimes atypical pickups. So it isn’t always exotica
Exactly……My 21 Wood Library DGT is mahogany, maple, Braz. fingerboard, 10 top and Copperhead, which isn’t a standard color. The quality of the mahogany and maple are exceptionally nice and the resonance is astounding. The Brazilian fingerboard has a little bit different tone than East Indian Rosewood because it’s somewhat harder. Honestly, either is fine with me. My 08 P-22 and 93 CU22 have East Indian rosewood and they both sound great
The Grissom is in my pic to the left…..

Last edited:
My SSH is similar, it was listed as a "wood library" but is made of standard woods for that model and still indicated with a "10" on the headstock. I believe it was just a top picked from WL (it does have a fantastic top). My 594, on the other hand, has some more unique woods on it, but I think dealers can do anything from just upgraded tops to changing the whole guitar.

The all chrome hardware could be a WL thing, as could the neck, but if memory serves, CU24's came with different neck shape options until 2019 or 2020 when they all went to pattern thin. If this one is a couple years old, that's probably just a normal option for that year.

My SSH is similar, it was listed as a "wood library" but is made of standard woods for that model and still indicated with a "10" on the headstock. I believe it was just a top picked from WL (it does have a fantastic top). My 594, on the other hand, has some more unique woods on it, but I think dealers can do anything from just upgraded tops to changing the whole guitar.

The all chrome hardware could be a WL thing, as could the neck, but if memory serves, CU24's came with different neck shape options until 2019 or 2020 when they all went to pattern thin. If this one is a couple years old, that's probably just a normal option for that year.
It’s a 2017. Honestly don’t remember when the pattern regular neck was dropped as a normal CU24 offering.

This is the latest answer from the customer service:

Hi Giorgio,

Wood Library means the dealer chose the wood for the guitars, not necessarily that the wood is different. Dealers are able to choose from wood that is specifically designated for wood library guitars.

Thank you and have a great day,

Beth

So basically it's a selected piece of mahogany and/or maple and/or rosewood.

I'm intrigued and plan to check this guitar out. I'd post the photos sent to me by the seller but they are quite dreadful and I am sure they do not do the guitar justice.

Wish me luck!

Note that Wood Library top woods still follow the regular PRS grading. The dealer can spec non-10 (usually with painted tops), 10, or Artist grade.

Like others said, the dealer gets to personally pick the woods, amongst other things like hardware finish. So if they want to make a run of traditional PRS guitars, but with their ideal cosmetics, they can.

Back