Wood Libraries

fgeorge097

How do these work? Say on a website you see that a dealer has commissioned a wood library. Can you ask for custom specs like a specific neck carve, finish, pickups, etc?

That sounds right. But if you want an Artist Package, you can specify anything that's an option for that guitar, including finish, pickups, and neck carve.

The way I understand it, the dealer has to commission a minimum of 10 instruments and they must be the same model from a regular core production line. Then they can pick the woods. Typically you will see a run of 10 total guitars all the same model, 5 with one combination of woods and 5 with another.

The way I understand it, the dealer has to commission a minimum of 10 instruments and they must be the same model from a regular core production line. Then they can pick the woods. Typically you will see a run of 10 total guitars all the same model, 5 with one combination of woods and 5 with another.
Agree with the above. I think you may be looking for an Artist Package instead (possibly Private Stock, depending on whether AP meets your needs) Please see this page to determine if AP will cover your needs.:

http://prsguitars.com/artistpackage/build_electric.php

Kevin

That sounds right. But if you want an Artist Package, you can specify anything that's an option for that guitar, including finish, pickups, and neck carve.

You can choose a neck carve with artist pack? I didn't think that was an option.

You can choose a neck carve with artist pack? I didn't think that was an option.
Some models let you choose between Pattern Thin and either Pattern or Pattern Regular depending on the model but I think these models let you choose these carves on the regular core versions too.

Many wood library runs have wood selections typically not available on production guitars. I have a Hollowbody 1 from Dave's that has a white korina neck and African Blackwood fretboard.

It depends on the model, but yes, that option is available on some (about half of all core?) models, which is why I qualified it the way I did. But as was pointed out, many don't (Paul's Guitar, Tremonti), and you only get to choose between pattern or pattern regular, and pattern thin.

I thought it was pointed out to me at Experience that the new 594s had a new neck carve, "vintage", or was that a private stock model?

It depends on the model, but yes, that option is available on some (about half of all core?) models, which is why I qualified it the way I did. But as was pointed out, many don't (Paul's Guitar, Tremonti), and you only get to choose between pattern or pattern regular, and pattern thin.

I thought it was pointed out to me at Experience that the new 594s had a new neck carve, "vintage", or was that a private stock model?
The core 594s do have a Pattern Vintage carve. It doesn't feel that different to me but I have guitars with Pattern Regular, Pattern, DGT, and Pattern Vintage and they all feel good to me.

Oh, okay, look at that -- the neck profile is listed as "Pattern Vintage" under the specs, but the artist package options list pattern or pattern thin. I was scrolling straight down to the partist ackage options.

Oh, okay, look at that -- the neck profile is listed as "Pattern Vintage" under the specs, but the artist package options list pattern or pattern thin. I was scrolling straight down to the partist ackage options.
Holy crap I had no idea the 594 was offered in pattern thin. This changes everything.

Whoa

I shall quote this post on the eventual NGD.

Best post of all time

Well, cancel that.

I got an email today from PRS that they looked into it further and it was actually a typo. No pattern thin on the 594 is possible.

The hunt for a 24.5" scale with pattern thin neck carve continues.

<grumpy>

Well, cancel that.

I got an email today from PRS that they looked into it further and it was actually a typo. No pattern thin on the 594 is possible.

The hunt for a 24.5" scale with pattern thin neck carve continues.

<grumpy>
Not really surprised, but sorry it won't work out for you.
Wonder what the neck is going to be on the new Chris Robertson SE???

Kevin

Back