Wood Choice Question - Private Stock Ebony

JKozy88

Hey All,

Hoping for some "design" advice! I'm finalizing some details on a build and i'm torn on the final choice...fretboard wood.

Long story short, i'm looking at a spalted maple body and a flamed maple neck/headstock. I'm torn between traditional pitch black "gaboon" ebony for the board or spicing it up a bit with macassar ebony and hoping for some neat coloration / streaks.

My concern with the macassar is that the guitar could look "too busy" between the figured body and headstock...on top of a streaked fretboard. I have a solid black ebony board with abalone dots on my Taylor acoustic so I know that's a winning combo. I need to make the call between the "classy" solid black or going all out on a custom build with a real cool macassar grain.

I'd love to hear some takes from the crew here - Thanks!

EBONY! I agree whole-heartedly with your "busy" concerns.

Let the top speak for itself. A good painter will tell you that your eye should be drawn to the subject matter. I have heard art critics say that an otherwise good painting was compromised by being "too busy." While I understand that this is not a painting, the same aesthetic principals apply.

The ebony will do at least two things aesthetically:
1). Add a nice complimentary contrast to the natural top (I assume you want a natural finish) and
2). Make the fungus streaks in the top “pop.”

Last edited:
If the flamed maple headstock is not covered by a veneer, definitely go gaboon, I think...

I would lean toward gaboon in any case I think

I would reserve judgement until I had selected the top, then see how the figured ebony looked. Gaboon is sure to look good, but depending on how the top is figured and how you plan to stain it, there is potential for a streaky board to complement spalt very well.

For example, I thought this cocobolo board worked quite well with my spalted top.
CK_259SpaltFingerboardAAA.JPG

Last edited:
I suspect the macassar will not be all that streaky. I think it could help the fungus pop and also add some character of its own. Like an overall weathered look.

I’d say Veinbuster’s looks pretty damn fine.

There’s your proof, if you need any, that there’s no single path to beauty.

Absolutely. The beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And while both choices can result in a great looking guitar, for my taste I’d choose ebony for the reasons I listed above. There is no right answer. It’s subjective, and a matter of personal taste.

At distance Macassar ebony can look very similar to Indian rosewood...

I have a guitar from another builder with a spalted maple top and a Cocobolo fretboard and it completely works. As most say - it's very subjective.

All,

Appreciate the different takes! I committed this morning to straight black gaboon ebony. I know it's a classic combo with some abalone inlays and figure i'll take the sure thing - it might be easier on my eyes when i'm getting lost on the fretboard, too :)

Veinbuster’s is a perfect example of how awesome the alternative can look!

All,

Appreciate the different takes! I committed this morning to straight black gaboon ebony. I know it's a classic combo with some abalone inlays and figure i'll take the sure thing - it might be easier on my eyes when i'm getting lost on the fretboard, too :)

Veinbuster’s is a perfect example of how awesome the alternative can look!

I forgot to mention #3. Black ebony makes the inlays pop, too. Looking forward to seeing your build.

You made a good choice. I have 3 PRS with black ebony boards. Not only do the inlays pop, it feels wonderful and adds a nice clarity to the sound, and an immediacy to your attack.

I don't really look at my fretboards at all -- I'm looking at the frets and the fret markers -- so I would go back through the PSF thread and look for a couple more examples, and if you like the look, then go for it, and if you don't, then don't.

And in my head, I've gone both ways -- fret markers that pop, like a bright pink against an ebony, or a dark against a maple fretboard -- or my thing is low contrast, so like a dark purple against a black ebony, or a black bird against a black ebony fretboard, and then I'll just look at the side markers.

Ovangkol and Ziricote are pretty stunning too! So many fantastic woods to choose from. Happy choosing!

Back