Wont stay in tune :(

John R Brodeur

As I stated in the introduce yourself section, I have my first SE Custom 24. I have major buzz on the first 3 frets and I do intend to adjust the truss rod and replace the strings. But it will not stay in tune. I have purchased a Jackson for 199 and didn't have all these issues. Do you think the truss rod adjustment could help with the not stay in tune issue? Its really frustrating honestly. Just looking for some suggestions prior to returning it. Thanks all!!

Sounds more like a poorly cut nut. After you write a few more entries on the thread you can add photos. Give us a photo of the cut depth of the nut.

I would tug on the new ones a bit, to pull them tite on the tuners...and to make sure they are "seated" in the bridge block and tuners...
before I question the nut needing replacement. Good luck...nice guitars.

Welcome John. Lots of threads here about SE tuning issues. Unfortunately, the nut is the culprit most of the time. You can try widening (not deepening) each nut slot slightly (use folded in half over extra fine grit sandpaper). Or, if that doesn't work, get a PRS Core nut or Tusq nut, which are both a direct fit replacement. Stick with it - yes, definitely frustrating on a new guitar, but once you get the tuning resolved, you'll love it!

Hello John, seems like we bought our SE Custom 24 almost simultaneously.
I don’t have any fret buzz issues, but the guitar gets untuned quite easily.
I have stretched the strings sufficiently, so that can’t be the problem. And I don’t use the trem (I keep it locked).
Compared with my tele the tuning pegs are quite loose, you can turn the peg with one finger if necessary. I’m used to a peg that resists somewhat. Eventually I d’ like to replace them with locking tuners, not because they tune better, but because the string change is so easy and quick.
I ordered the GraphTech Black Tusq PT6643-00 and have a luthier install it soon. It’s a pity that this guitar doesn’t come with such a quality nut.
I’ll let you know how this works out.
Apart from this minor issue this guitar is utmost playable, and its mahogany body can produce beautiful sustained tones.

Until you decide to replace a nut, try a little graphite in the string slot. If your strings are having tuning issues from binding in a poorly cut slot the lubrication of the graphite will resolve it to an extent and help you determine if that's the issue.

If all else fails a good guitar tech should be able zero in on what the cause is.

Good luck with it.

Graphite could definitely help. If you dont have any of the powder graphite available, take a sharpened pencil and rub it back n forth against the string slots...letting the powdery residue fall into the slots...I've done this before with positive results.

Until you decide to replace a nut, try a little graphite in the string slot. If your strings are having tuning issues from binding in a poorly cut slot the lubrication of the graphite will resolve it to an extent and help you determine if that's the issue.

If all else fails a good guitar tech should be able zero in on what the cause is.

Good luck with it.

I was going to suggest a similar fix. Maybe try this stuff first.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LiLLuber--big-bends-lil-luber-ultra-tuning-lubricant-5cc

First thing I’d do is a new set of strings and a proper setup. Tackling anything else first is putting the cart before the horse :)

Back