Wonderful Clip - Granddaughter's Real Deal Show

László

Too Many Notes
My granddaughter Omi is in a professional theater production of Sound of Music in Chicago, and this clip shows how incredible the singers are, and the production values. There's a live orchestra as well. Omi is playing the role of Brigitta, one of the younger children, and I'm so excited for her, I had to share this.

Since we're all into music - OK, maybe not so much show tunes, I get it - we can all recognize when something musical is really excellent. Check this out:

Nothing is more annoying than a proud grandfather... :D

Last edited:
I'll pass along the kind words! It's exciting - this is her second show with a professional cast; the other was Ragtime, last fall.

I'm just utterly bursting with pride that my ten year old granddaughter has these theater chops. And the minute she showed up on the screen, I got verklempt. We'll see the show several times before it closes in June.

But the most important thing to me is that as a youngster she is seeing the value of preparation, hard work, and making the most of opportunities - regardless of what she chooses in life. And she has the example and guidance from folks who do this for a living, which is awfully cool.

Well, that and having Kleenex for verklemptitude at the right moments! ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments, all!

Last night was the 'official' opening of the show, I guess earlier performances were 'previews' (?). It's theater 'in the round'. I have no idea whether that makes it harder for the cast and crew, but that's why some of the kids are facing opposite the camera in some parts of the clip.

There are 72 performances in a little less than two months. Hard work, but she loves it. I give my daughter and granddaughter a lot of credit for juggling the show, school, rehearsals, costume fittings, in addition to all the stuff that normal moms and kids do.

"Doesn't Omi's father get any credit for all this?"

"Wait, what...?"

Several shows are sold out already (not a small theater, 800 seats), so they're getting good audiences. My middle daughter went last night, and did a LOT of gushing on the phone.

I'll pass along the kind words! It's exciting - this is her second show with a professional cast; the other was Ragtime, last fall.

I'm just utterly bursting with pride that my ten year old granddaughter has these theater chops. And the minute she showed up on the screen, I got verklempt. We'll see the show several times before it closes in June.

But the most important thing to me is that as a youngster she is seeing the value of preparation, hard work, and making the most of opportunities - regardless of what she chooses in life. And she has the example and guidance from folks who do this for a living, which is awfully cool.

Well, that and having Kleenex for verklemptitude at the right moments! ;)
You have given her the best example of what’s like to put all the hours of tireless practice, attention to detail and just the pure love of music and that is YOU pops. I am very proud of her too. When I see what a lot of the kids are up to today. I work right across from a huge mall and usually walk around on my lunch hour and frankly I am very disgusted by what see. It’s the parents fault too.

I wish I could give her a bouquet of roses in person. She’s a rising star shinIng brightly already.

You taught her well Pops!

You have given her the best example of what’s like to put all the hours of tireless practice, attention to detail and just the pure love of music and that is YOU pops. I am very proud of her too. When I see what a lot of the kids are up to today. I work right across from a huge mall and usually walk around on my lunch hour and frankly I am very disgusted by what see. It’s the parents fault too.

I wish I could give her a bouquet of roses in person. She’s a rising star shinIng brightly already.

You taught her well Pops!
Thanks for the kind words, and when I hand Omi the bouquet when I see the show, I'm going to mention your good wishes! In fact, I'm going to forward this link to my daughter now, she'll love it!

I wish I could claim a milligram of credit for the effort this little one puts forth...but...

Props to her mom, who majored in theater, and passed along the 'How-to-do-things-the-right-way' rules. She and her husband are great parents who spare no effort, and are 100% committed to their family and community. Ya gotta love that!

The reviews come out today, but so far I've only seen one of them as of this AM. The reviewer has directed this show in the past, and mentioned how difficult it is to cast children, let alone get them acting together (I'd imagine it's a little like herding cats). He was very complimentary about this cast of children, calling them "truly exceptional," and said that Omi played the role of Brigitta "to perfection." That's pretty solid, and the review said the show is "highly recommended."

So, a feather in her cap!

The reviews come out today, but so far I've only seen one of them as of this AM. The reviewer has directed this show in the past, and mentioned how difficult it is to cast children, let alone get them acting together (I'd imagine it's a little like herding cats). He was very complimentary about this cast of children, calling them "truly exceptional," and said that Omi played the role of Brigitta "to perfection." That's pretty solid, and the review said the show is "highly recommended."

So, a feather in her cap!

You certainly have a reason to "yodel-le-e-hoo", grandpa.

Back