With or Without?

My first reaction is: without any pick guard, clear or otherwise. Mainly for this reason: anybody whangin' on a guitar to the point that affects the finish on a super-quality musical instrument, scratching and damaging it, then that indicates not only a lack of respect for the tool of the trade, but also a $h!!tty technique or lack of thereof. IMO. C'mon, now!

Second reason: My Tacoma acoustic came with a clear guard and, over time, it is subject to developing a dirty line around the outline where the adhesive will pick up a little dust/dirt which then shows that there IS a pick guard there. That's really not a big deal unless you're one of those who wants to preserve a virgin appearance. Heck, look at classical guitar players. You won't see any of them with a pick guard, right? Yeah, I know, totally different style of playing... they don't use picks. But have you seen the NAILS on some of those guys? :)

Had my little rant, now.

Yours is a different situation: keep the black pick guard. It adds a lot to the appearance of an otherwise plain-looking top (and no offense intended in any way!). It's just that there is no major grain thing going on visually. Tone-wise, I can't comment, only you can.

Bottom line: I like what you've done to your guitar. Gives it that little something extra, like a really good steak sauce, know what I mean?. :congrats:

Well, IMHO, although I like my PRSi without pick guards, I have a pick guard on my LP, and my strat (duh!), and other guitars, and the black pick guard on yours does help tie it all together, gives it a classic look. I certainly prefer the black one over the clear one, but I can understand why you had a clear one instead of a naked guitar.

Thanks. It's funny I like with and without but for some reason I keep sticking it back on. I think I'm going for it. Now to find some #3 screws to match the pickup ring screws!

Tom

I think it looks really nice on the guitar, too. And I like what you've done to customize it.

My technique may be "$h!!tty". I have never had anyone rate it. That said there are plenty of top guitar players that have all the finish worn off the top of their guitars. I'm sure you know a few. It is out of respect for the instrument that I want a pick guard. I dd not want to damage the top. The scratches come from resting my finger tips on the top during picking. My fingernails scratch the finish. I guess that is evidence of my "$h!!tty technique".

Ok, this is my third try at eating humble pie. I've tried on my iPad in my wife's hospital room, but kept getting interrupted and wifi kept dropping out,... oh well, anyway. I was in a hurry this morning because of running late to get with her, and just ripped off on an impulse. I was trying to be supportive, and instead stepped on some toes. Very sorry.

No problem with the choice of protecting the finish. The technique comment was poorly worded. And yes, a great example would be, say, Stevie Ray Vaughn. Legendary "technique" but taking a really battle scarred weapon into the fray. But then there those (maybe they're trying to emulate him) who don't care like you (we) do. I'm an old acoustic, finger picker myself. I've purchased several courses from Griff Hamlin and am taking his recommendations on using flat picks, which I so very much want to do right. So I am used to putting down the pinky on the top, and now have to get comfortable with palm muting technique resting on the bridge. Never thought of nails scratching the finish. But I've seen a lot of acoustics beat up on both sides of the strings and I think, "What a shame." Whatever the reason, it impinged on my consciousness.

But, bottom line: I like what you've done with the mod. You do have a pretty good sense of design in modifying it so that its lines mimic the contours of the guitar. That was very cool. I hope you get miles of enjoyment out of the instrument. Customization is a very personal thing and goes a long way in bonding with your instrument. Kudos.

Oh yeah, Sergio, I definitely overlooked the H. But not intentionally. You have helped remind me of my P's & Q's. Thanks, man.

Regards to all,

it looks ok with the pickguard, but i'm wondering what the point is of protecting the finish by putting one on, that will not be removed because there are now screw holes in the guitar. so no pick marks, but holes and something covering the the wood that is being protected. if it looks good to you and feels good...then go for it.

Oh yeah, Sergio, I definitely overlooked the H. But not intentionally. You have helped remind me of my P's & Q's. Thanks, man.

Nothing but love, buddy.

We're a community, and we all step on our d!cks or need to rant sometimes. I know it wasn't mean-spirited.

I like the guard.

Wildwood Guitars sold a used McCarty Standard a few years back with a custom pickguard - I wish I could find the picture...it was badass.

I'm not a pickguard fan at all, but you did a great job and the guitar looks great.

Funny, I've always considered pick guards the "appendix of the electric guitar". I've never understood their function. I mean: does anyone play so passionately that they're in danger of shredding the finish on the guitar? They should be re-named "wire covers", since that's the only real purpose they serve, and that's only on strats.

Funny, I've always considered pick guards the "appendix of the electric guitar". I've never understood their function. I mean: does anyone play so passionately that they're in danger of shredding the finish on the guitar? They should be re-named "wire covers", since that's the only real purpose they serve, and that's only on strats.

Willie Nelson might disagree with you.

Y'know, I'm liking it even more now. Have you perhaps considered going to black tuner knobs to match like with those cool pickup rings. Thinking of doing my PG with ebony rings and tuners. And, let's not forget the nut. Or, on second thought, maybe not because of the neck binding.

Last edited:
The final contour looks cool.

Reminds me of the factory standard pic guard on my early SE Santana., but your body swoop between the strings might be better.

reference pic - not mine

8125-1.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great with the 'guard on it. I am a pickguard lover though, so I think most/all guitars look better with them. Yours would look wicked with some black/clear lampshades.

It stands out now. I always thing a guitar with a play-gouge in the body is a sign of serious quality and honor - but it wouldve taken you many years to get that far and in the mean time, screwing on that black guard broke up some of the 'monotony', if you could even say that of this guitar.

Back