Wiring Diagram 2 toggle splits + push/pull series/parallel

BreakingBricks

Hi all,

I'm looking for a diagram to go with my soon-to-arrive SE Custom 24 (Poplar Burl). In the past I've only had Strats, Tele's and Les Pauls or guitars wired the same as those. On my last Les Paul I had the Jimmy Page wiring but with 6 switches (series/parallel, neck split, bridge split, Phase switch between pickups, phase switch between front coils, phase switch between rear coils). It was a beast with I think about 250+ tonal options. It was a prick to work with though and to remember where everything was set while I was playing. This was achieved using Seymour Duncan pickups (5 wire) and a lot of swearing and burning myself with the soldering iron.

I'm looking to diversify the SE a little - just not as extreme as the LP. I'm not fussed about in and out of phase but do like Series/Parallel. I'm thinking of adding 2 mini toggles for splitting coils (as per Paul's Guitar) and using the existing push/pull for Series/Parallel between the humbuckers.

Can this be done? Does anyone have a diagram? Would I be better off having the push pull serve as a series/parallel between the coils instead?

Last edited:
With blade switching you have many options. The wiring posted here is one of my favorites for Custom models. Basically you use the tone pot push/pull to split bridge and use some of the blade switch positions to split neck. I took mine a step further and added series/parallel switching on a push/pull volume pot. Can draw that up if you’re interested.

https://forums.prsguitars.com/threa...-blade-custom-22-custom-24.25835/#post-517523

Edit: I see most of the poplar burl Customs posted have 3 way blade and a push/pull already.

Something like this. You can make the mini toggles two-position for simple split, or you can use three-ways for series/split/parallel like below, or you can do humbucker/north coil/south coil.

wd2hh3l11_07__23339.1470694247.jpg

Thanks for these. I was looking at the thread Malloc linked to and was thinking that's the way I'll go, but now I'm thinking I like the simplicity of a 3 way switch for a two pickup guitar. Just had to look up the functions of a DP3T switch to work out how that wiring works! I'll give your diagram a go Garrett & pick up some DP3T switches today.

Update on this. I did the 5 way blade with single push/pull mod. I wasn't particularly impressed with the 2.2k resistor on the bridge so I dropped it to 1.1k and I'm happy with it. Not too impressed with the 1.1k on the neck - it's nice but the original wiring with no resistor was beautiful. I'll keep experimenting with lower resistor values but have a feeling I'll be sending the series link straight to ground. For volume matching reasons I'll probably drop the bridge resistor to maybe 500ohm or less. I also ran the bridge resistor direct to ground instead of bleeding it through the selector switch.

Other than that I'm very happy with the overall mod.

Update on this. I did the 5 way blade with single push/pull mod. I wasn't particularly impressed with the 2.2k resistor on the bridge so I dropped it to 1.1k and I'm happy with it. Not too impressed with the 1.1k on the neck - it's nice but the original wiring with no resistor was beautiful. I'll keep experimenting with lower resistor values but have a feeling I'll be sending the series link straight to ground. For volume matching reasons I'll probably drop the bridge resistor to maybe 500ohm or less. I also ran the bridge resistor direct to ground instead of bleeding it through the selector switch.

Other than that I'm very happy with the overall mod.

Cool. The resistor thing is fun to experiment with and depends on pickups and personal taste. Glad you're digging the mods.

On my 5-way blade and push/pull wiring, I had bridge tap going to hot so I'd have screw coil active on each pickup when tapped (the core 85/15s are reverse polarity). One could send either pickup to hot or to ground depending on pickup type and which coil they wanted to be active in single coil mode.

Cool. The resistor thing is fun to experiment with and depends on pickups and personal taste. Glad you're digging the mods.

On my 5-way blade and push/pull wiring, I had bridge tap going to hot so I'd have screw coil active on each pickup when tapped (the core 85/15s are reverse polarity). One could send either pickup to hot or to ground depending on pickup type and which coil they wanted to be active in single coil mode.
Mine has the 85/15-S pickups which have the screw coil as hot so sending both series links to ground is what was originally intended for these.

I have to admit I initially I split the series link on the bridge pickup and cocked up, putting the screw coil out of phase with the slug. I forgot how shrill and awful that would can be! Was a quick fix and shows I just need to pay more attention when I'm pulling things apart! I've been playing a lot of SRV lately and these mods help bring a twin bucker guitar in line with that Texas blues sound. Really appreciate the diagram.

Back