Wiring 85/15 - 3 wire (plus shielding) into the PRS 594

Ironwolf

I'm a Dog! I do Dog Things!
I put the 85 / 15 into the bridge of my PRS 594, I really think it is going to be perfect sound. Just that extra level of heat. It would have been nice if I could find the 2 wire version just black and white (ha ha) for simplicity of plug and play.

But I ended up with the 3 wire red, white, and black, plus shielding,(4)
Here is how I wired it below.

Here is the question the coil splitting still has the screw coils quite active upon the tap test with small screw driver.
The NECK is about 90% volume for screws and 10% slugs upon screwdriver tap test for the split setting.

I forgot to perform this test on the 58/15LT before I removed it, I intended to estimate the amount of signal each coil contributes, from the coil taps.

The humbucker seems very equal from each coil and guitar sounds awesome.
but the coils splitsetting for Bridge now; estimate is 95% volume from slugs and 30% volume from screw coil. very strong volume from single coil split setting. it is very pleasant still.
I was afraid perhaps the wiring connections I installed, were just in parallel instead of tapped.
Any expertise appreciated on the 3 wire PRS pickup in 594.

Anybody care to estimate the volume of each coil contributes of bridge 58/15LT. split and humbucked????:cool:

m84Iepf.jpg

By design, the resistor on the coil split lets some signal of the shunted coil come through.

The LT in the bridge on mine measures as follows:

7.78 humbucker
5.28 split with 2.2k resistor
3.94 at series connection

So the screw coil is slightly stronger than slug and with the resistor active, the slug coil contributes 1.34k of resistance.

Neck is very close, but the lower value resistor on the split makes the slug coil contribute less.

7.76 humbucker
4.74 split with 1.1k resistor
3.93 at series connection

So slug coil only contributes 0.81k when split with resistor.

I haven't recorded measurements of my 85/15 set, so I don't know if the coils are balanced or not. Now you got me curious so maybe I'll measure this weekend.

Thank you Dr. Garrett.

ahh hah! now I see said the blind man. That's the first clear description I've had about how these Are designed to work.
That's almost like a treble bleed but on the tone pot.

I guess you could call that a coil bleed.

So how do I measure that. Put my probes on ...... Hot and the red wire then ground in the red wire?

I guess I should repost that picture, it is backwards, the middle position was out of phase, very nice out of Phase sound.

So now I have the black wire (hot) on the tone pot lug, White wire is ground?, running to ground or back of the pot.

I guess I should repost that picture, it is backwards, the middle position was out of phase, very nice out of Phase sound.

So now I have the black wire (hot) on the volume pot lug, White wire is ground, running to ground or back of the pot.
So here's the configuration That is working. With the three wires instead of a two wire pickup. The screw coils are definitely dominant on the single coil setting. for both pickups.

a5b9cOI.jpg

That makes sense. If you prefer the tone of the slug coil when split, connect the resistor from switch to hot instead of to ground.

I have my 85/15 split to screw coil with the 2.2k resistor on my CU22 and it's the best sounding split bridge I've found so far.

Oh, as far as measuring, it's been a while and I don't remember exactly how I got those for my 594. I may have measured at the split wire on the push/pull and then at the volume pot with push/pull up and down.

I just get in there and start poking stuff and see what happens LOL.

Back