Wireless thoughts

Aahzz

Bluebeard Member
OK, I'm in a rig rebuilding/woodshedding mode at the moment. I don't need one yet, but will eventually - but I have the budget now so should buy before I get distracted :). I'm looking for a new wireless system. I'm not looking for long range, I use the wireless more because I hate having the cable attached to me, I always end up stepping on it, and it just annoys me. So, tone and battery life are more important than range. I have a Line 6 G30, which had been great, except that I dropped the transmitter once and now it won't close properly. For a while, wrapping a rubber band around it kept it working, but now that's not cutting it any longer. I have considered just replacing the transmitter, and getting a neoprene pouch to hopefully protect it - certainly the most cost effective option. However, since I'm going to buy something anyway, what do y'all like?

I've had G30, G10, and X-Vive U2.
I like the G10 format, but it doesn't play nice with piezo outputs without an extra adaptor as it has a TRS barrel. Also, the G10 micro USB power connector is a POS.
The X-Vive is nice and works fine with piezo. Quite compact as well.
I like the look of the G10S though. Solves the stupid power connector problem.

I probably wont be much help Aahzz, but here goes. I had the Line 6 G10 transmitter and base. It worked fine until Line 6 sent out an urgent request to download an upgrade to the unit due to a fire hazard/overheating issue. I did it before investigating and my transmitter would only last barely an hour before needing a recharge. It made the system worthless.
I recently broke the transmitter and since I still had the base, I picked up the Line 6 G10IIT transmitter, only because it works directly with the Line 6 spider V 240 amp I have and the old G10 transmitter base which I have wired thru my amp switcher.
Battery life seems good in the 2nd version, but I haven't fully tested to its full battery life. Been tested to about 3 hours and still life left.
I dont need long range either, so I haven't tested range.
So far so good. No complaints.
I think new for base and transmitter is about $180

Also a plus is plugging directly into guitar and no need for clipping anything to your strap.

I agree with Dave that the micro USB plug is a POS. I've solved that by using a zip tie and attaching the fragile USB wire to the 1/4 instrument cable to keep from ruining the USB plug as had happened to others.
51682761860_1ef5cd152a_c.jpg

Last edited:
I have the small key fob wireless gizmos. They are pennies, charge quite quickly, good battery life and zero noise interference. They have about 10 different channels that connect automatically and so if your band mate (like me) has the same system, no problems.

I was sceptical about their quality, but I have zero complaints and you don’t even know it’s plugged because it’s so light.

I like wireless for the same reason you do - tripping, getting caught in pedals, etc. I've used the Shure GLXD16 for several years now with no issues. Both the transmitter and receiver have a metal casing and feel like they're built like tanks. When fully charged, the transmitter lasts about 15 hours, I believe. And if it runs low during a gig, you can charge it for about 15 minutes or so (via USB plugged into the receiver) and it will be good for a couple of hours, enough to get you through the rest of the gig. I also like the fact that you can see very clearly on the receiver how much battery life is left. It's pricier than the Line 6 stuff, but worth it in my opinion. Buying used will save you a few bucks.

I've been using a Line6 G50 for quite a few years now. I have replaced the original cable with a Mogami (ordered through Amazon), as the original got to where the connection wasn't secure. I also had a short problem with cutout, but that was due to the little tabs in the bottom of the transmitter being pushed down a bit too far, easily fixed that also. I have used this is every condition you can think of, with no drop-outs.

Another G10 user here. Gigged with it for, what, 3 years? Maybe more…I forget because it just worked perfectly. Can be susceptible to RF interference in a really noisy environment, but what wireless isn’t? It was stupid simple to use and worked 100%…until I dropped the Xmitter on a hard wood floor and shattered the plastic housing. :(

I’ve been using the Shure GLX-D for years. Battery life is great, batteries are easily replaced, and it sounds good. Glad to not be buying batteries in bulk anymore!

I have a set of Getaria 5.8GHz that I've used for a while now. Didn't want to spend a whole bunch of money ($90 at Amazon) on an experiment but they seem to work well. Just wanted something that I could use outside on the deck or in the living room without worrying about cables laying around.

You can buy a new housing from the manufacturer it is easy to change it out and does not cost that much. I had the same problem that you did and that is what I did to fix it. I love my G 30 wireless system

I am a fan of the G30 system. Standard 1/4" cable was a huge, huge factor in my original purchase.

The battery door on the transmitter is, however, a huge PITA. It is flimsy and a bit disappointing. I picked up a little neoprene bag for wireless transmitters. It has a couple of little velcro straps to attach it to the guitar strap. It has saved my transmitter a few times.

Mines like this one from Sweetwater, but it isn't a Sure brand one.

**EDIT** - mine is not a belt pack, it's for attaching to a guitar strap... I'll go look and see if I can find the one I bought

I have a G10 and had way too many drop outs so I picked up this one.
Sennheiser EW-D CI1 Wireless Guitar System - Q1-Q6

Back