Winged Tuner replacement

g.wizz

Nabs
Hello brothers

My friend has A CE24 94 with a small heal, he wants to replace the winged tuners with a set of locking ones
either PRS or aftermarket brand, so what would be best without drilling new screw holes? he wants to keep it original as much as possible, so any and all suggestions are welcomed and much appreciated.

Nabil

IIRC the Phase II PRS tuners are a drop in replacement. Can anyone verify/correct that?
A '94 has the shared screw on the D & G strings, so phase II are not drop in replacement. You'd have to drill 2 holes for those tuners and would have the one leftover shared screw hole that would be open. PTC can mod winged tuners to be phase II but it's pretty pricey to do.

You will have 5 exposed screw holes. I've done it with two of mine. One hole for the shared D and G four holes for the remaining tuners.
The tuners will drop in with no other mods.
IMHO vast improvement. The ratio is better snd quicker string changes.

IMO it would be better to learn to love the originals. The only set on which you can build a Christmas tree!

I have a '93 CE24 and put in Hipshot locking tuners. Drop-in with no drilling or screws with the universal mounting plate.

IMG_2373.jpg

The PTC offers a modification that converts winged tuners to the new locking mechanism. If I remember correctly, the mod also changes the turning ratio to current specs. This way you get the shared-screw tuner body, the upgraded locking mechanism, and a mod that can be reversed.

A '94 has the shared screw on the D & G strings, so phase II are not drop in replacement. You'd have to drill 2 holes for those tuners and would have the one leftover shared screw hole that would be open. PTC can mod winged tuners to be phase II but it's pretty pricey to do.

is it possibe to grind down the 2 screw retention holes on the d and g tunees so that they will share a screw?

Back