Will tube amps ever become obsolete?

PRSfanboy46

Don't lick doorknobs and stay in school
In our age of digital modelling, you can get a fender twin reverb on your computer, but I feel like a tube amp will always be needed for some reason. Yes modellers like the Helix and the Axe fx and the Kemper blow tube amps out of the water, but nothing will beat the warm glow of tubes and the raw sound of it. What are your feelings on this?

I love my tube amps. I also love my Kemper.
The Kemper gets a lot of play time for practice, and when gigs existed.
Tube amps feel wonderfully organic of course, but the Kemper and Kabinet come so close that for me it's indiscernible.

I use a stinking Helix for rehearsals, using the amp & cab sims through high dollar QSC mains and it absolutely blows... For live gigs, I use it for a handful of effects (delay, chorus, phaser) but more importantly, have a couple of the channels set up as an emergency "limp home" rig that I can go straight to the board with, in case my amp goes down.

I had a Friedman amp (Runt 50) go completely dead during a gig after 4 songs and at the time had a Tech21 SansAmp Fly-rig in my gearbag to limp home with and that REALLY sucked, lol...

But I can honestly say the digital thing doesn't come close to replicating the feel, depth and that intangible "aliveness" that exists between the amp & guitar/pickups as well as under the fingers. I have 6 different tube amps and every one of them will eclipse the Helix or Kemper.
I also have used a Kemper for rehearsals which also was... Meh. I'd rather use a Fender Tweed of some kind + some pedals.... Or ANY tube amp.

The other guitarist in my band exclusively uses the Helix and he FOREVER begs me to hear this channel or that channel/setting (which sound exactly like the last time) after days and hours of dicking around with knobs and menus, etc... It absolutely would bore me to tears or make me smash the f'n thing with a hammer and I OWN ONE.

Give me one of my tube amps behind me with one of my 2x12's, or give me death. To me, it's TOTALLY worth wheeling a road case containing my cab, from my truck to the stage... And the day it's not, I'll start shopping for dresses and/or quit gigging.

ANY newly-created channel that my band mate puts through the PA completely suck vs. A good amp when you really listen to it. There's no punch... No balls. He, just last week, picked up this Line6 "Power Cab" cabinet after I think, feeling buried with his **** tone by my Friedman Wildwood Smallbox 50 (Plexi)... I had to read 2 days worth of texts of "You cannot tell this isn't a real amp" "I guarantee you'll be buying one for your Helix".... YAWN....
Just buy a f'n amp & cab, already... Jeez

Last edited:
Can we get a thread about whether there’s a difference in the sound, too?

I use a stinking Helix for rehearsals, using the amp & cab sims through high dollar QSC mains and it absolutely blows... For live gigs, I use it for a handful of effects (delay, chorus, phaser) but more importantly, have a couple of the channels set up as an emergency "limp home" rig that I can go straight to the board with, in case my amp goes down.

I had a Friedman amp (Runt 50) go completely dead during a gig after 4 songs and at the time had a Tech21 SansAmp Fly-rig in my gearbag to limp home with and that REALLY sucked, lol...

But I can honestly say the digital thing doesn't come close to replicating the feel, depth and that intangible "aliveness" that exists between the amp & guitar/pickups as well as under the fingers. I have 6 different tube amps and every one of them will eclipse the Helix or Kemper.
I also have used a Kemper for rehearsals which also was... Meh. I'd rather use a Fender Tweed of some kind + some pedals.... Or ANY tube amp.

The other guitarist in my band exclusively uses the Helix and he FOREVER begs me to hear this channel or that channel/setting (which sound exactly like the last time) after days and hours of dicking around with knobs and menus, etc... It absolutely would bore me to tears or make me smash the f'n thing with a hammer and I OWN ONE.

Give me one of my tube amps behind me with one of my 2x12's, or give me death. To me, it's TOTALLY worth wheeling a road case containing my cab, from my truck to the stage... And the day it's not, I'll start shopping for dresses and/or quit gigging.

ANY newly-created channel that my band mate puts through the PA completely suck vs. A good amp when you really listen to it. There's no punch... No balls. He, just last week, picked up this Line6 "Power Cab" cabinet after I think, feeling buried with his **** tone by my Friedman Wildwood Smallbox 50 (Plexi)... I had to read 2 days worth of texts of "You cannot tell this isn't a real amp" "I guarantee you'll be buying one for your Helix".... YAWN....
Just buy a f'n amp & cab, already... Jeez

i love this!

Can we get a thread about whether there’s a difference in the sound, too?

You just wait your turn. We’re going to have threads about string gauges, tone woods, does pick style affect your tone, does pick shape affect your tone, does pick color affect your tone, is tone better if you hold your pick brand name up or brand name down, Schaller vs. Dunlop straplocks: which is more affected by your pick choice, and do ankle socks give you a more authentic shuffle feel, than we can discuss the difference in sound.

Well I'm reframing my question in a different light. I was talking about where was sound going, and this is a part two to that.
I’m really not great at these things some times, but my spidey sense says “how many 15 year olds say “reframing my question in a different light”” and my spidey senses just tingle. Not quite the tingle my wife gives me, but quite a tingle nonetheless ;)

I don't think valve amps are going to become obsolete for a little while. They may become a bit more niche. But products like the ox top box, waza tube amp expander and the two notes products are actually making the concept of valve amps more viable again.
I think the main limiting point will be when you can no longer buy replacement valves (if that happens).

You just wait your turn. We’re going to have threads about string gauges, tone woods, does pick style affect your tone, does pick shape affect your tone, does pick color affect your tone, is tone better if you hold your pick brand name up or brand name down, Schaller vs. Dunlop straplocks: which is more affected by your pick choice, and do ankle socks give you a more authentic shuffle feel, than we can discuss the difference in sound.
Starting to become a blog with every thought having to be posted. :confused:
Twice.
Or more.

Last edited:
Back