Will there be a new Core Paul's Guitar?

JD Blackwell

Will there be a new Core model based on the 2018 Experience Limited Edition Paul's Guitar with the new pickups?

We the new TCI pickups be available for retrofit in older Paul's Guitar models?

Will there be a new Core model based on the 2018 Experience Limited Edition Paul's Guitar with the new pickups?

Will the new TCI pickups be available for retrofit in older Paul's Guitar models?

I sent an email to the tech center, last week, they said "no" the pickups will not be available.
Quote "Typically Paul waits for a couple of years before a new pickup is offered as an upgrade through the PTC. As of now, we cannot offer the new Paul’s Guitar pickups. Sorry.

So this has got me started on trying to rewire my Paul's guitar, I really want more single coil from the single coil switch.

does anyone understand the physics on how he is adding back in some of the coil from ground? It looks like some sort of complex resistor wire to the center hosts of the micro switch.

I feel like if I just Desolder the center post of the micro switch, ( not the ones that go to the output jack)

have a look and see if anyone has any suggestions how to get a true single coil from Paul's guitar.
ven0cNo.jpg

I sent an email to the tech center, last week, they said "no" the pickups will not be available.
Quote "Typically Paul waits for a couple of years before a new pickup is offered as an upgrade through the PTC. As of now, we cannot offer the new Paul’s Guitar pickups. Sorry.

This is interesting to hear. I wonder if the tech center will just do the switching mod/revision (not the new pickups) on an existing Paul's Guitar? Maybe there is special wiring form the pickup to make the switching work and the switching mod/revision is not possible without the TCI pickups?

So this has got me started on trying to rewire my Paul's guitar, I really want more single coil from the single coil switch.

does anyone understand the physics on how he is adding back in some of the coil from ground? It looks like some sort of complex resistor wire to the center hosts of the micro switch.

I feel like if I just Desolder the center post of the micro switch, ( not the ones that go to the output jack)

have a look and see if anyone has any suggestions how to get a true single coil from Paul's guitar.
ven0cNo.jpg

It's ingeniously simple, actually. The slug coil is overwound. They add a tap wire to switch that part of coil in and out.

In HB mode, the slug coil is tapped to make a balanced humbucker.
In split mode, the screw coil is disengaged and you get the full wind of the slug coil.

So when you flip the switch, it is a true single coil.

https://prsguitars.com/csc/schematics/2017/paulsguitar_2017.pdf

I'm very curious to see what they've done differently with the TCI setup. Wondering if the pickups are actually different and/or if they're tuning the response with caps and resistors.

This is interesting to hear. I wonder if the tech center will just do the switching mod/revision (not the new pickups) on an existing Paul's Guitar? Maybe there is special wiring form the pickup to make the switching work and the switching mod/revision is not possible without the TCI pickups?

No that was specifically my question, I said I'm going to send my guitar in and will you please upgrade the entire guitar with the new system. They said the new pickup and the system not available. I believe they are new pickups. Paul has stated that they rewound the pickups constantly and now they have a new rewind and a new wiring system.

At 45 seconds he describes.

It's ingeniously simple, actually. The slug coil is overwound. They add a tap wire to switch that part of coil in and out.

In HB mode, the slug coil is tapped to make a balanced humbucker.
In split mode, the screw coil is disengaged and you get the full wind of the slug coil.

So when you flip the switch, it is a true single coil.

https://prsguitars.com/csc/schematics/2017/paulsguitar_2017.pdf

I'm very curious to see what they've done differently with the TCI setup. Wondering if the pickups are actually different and/or if they're tuning the response with caps and resistors.

thanks Garrett. I was looking for that wiring diagram I was unable to dig it out of the Google.

I don't think the old version has true single coil, when I do the tap test the slug coil is the main coil in single coil mode, and the screw coils are still very very active.
which is why it sounds like a humbucker all the time. I really can't tell if I have it in humbucker mode or single coil mode they're so similar.

and of course they're equally active in humbucker mode.

the descriptions in the videos Paul is talking about disconnecting the screw coil, but he doesn't give very much detail and it doesn't match reality. my screw coil is still very active. he says it disconnects the screw coil and adds 1500 winds to the slug coil but I'm pretty sure the 1500 winds come from the screw coil.

so I'm trying to figure out how to really actually completely kill the screw coil. how is he adding 1500 winds dont like it.

at 1:30 he adds 1500 winds.

Yeah, as time has gone forward I am not totally thrilled with my Paul's Guitar. The output of each mode is so similar that it's hard to say what's what regarding SC or HB. To me, the SC output is more P90-like than strat-like. I am not a P90 fan.

I dig the sound coming from the TCI version. It would be cool to be able to have the pickups swapped, but I am not surprised that it's not available yet....

thanks Garrett. I was looking for that wiring diagram I was unable to dig it out of the Google.

I don't think the old version has true single coil, when I do the tap test the slug coil is the main coil in single coil mode, and the screw coils are still very very active.
which is why it sounds like a humbucker all the time. I really can't tell if I have it in humbucker mode or single coil mode they're so similar.

and of course they're equally active in humbucker mode.

the descriptions in the videos Paul is talking about disconnecting the screw coil, but he doesn't give very much detail and it doesn't match reality. my screw coil is still very active. he says it disconnects the screw coil and adds 1500 winds to the slug coil but I'm pretty sure the 1500 winds come from the screw coil.

so I'm trying to figure out how to really actually completely kill the screw coil. how is he adding 1500 winds dont like it.

at 1:30 he adds 1500 winds.

I have a spare narrow 408 which I have measured. The screw coil is completely cancelled in the stock wiring. The extra 1500 winds are on the slug coil. The tap test can be handy some times, but it isn't exactly scientific.

I have a spare narrow 408 which I have measured. The screw coil is completely cancelled in the stock wiring. The extra 1500 winds are on the slug coil. The tap test can be handy some times, but it isn't exactly scientific.
I really do enjoy the single coil setting, the tone and the harmonic blooming are excellent. it just is a one or two-tone guitar the neck and bridge setting.
but it is a fantastic two-tone guitar however I bought it for more flexibility. so while it does fall short on the flexibility, the single musical tone that it generates is beautiful. once I start playing it and I get a setting on the amplifier, the intonation and playability and tone is top-notch. I really do like the core tone,
the way the tremolo bar interacts with the gain structure is fantastic. it really does remind me of Eddie Van Halen tones. it growls and talks beautifully.

I'm just wondering if I completely rebuild the electronics with my own micro switches I should be able to kill the screw coil.
I'm thinking of completely rebuilding the electronics compartment from scratch to give me the classic two humbucker's two single coils, as it was designed.

I still haven't seen the answer to how they're adding 1500 winds, so that I can stop that trick. I got about 9.2 kohms, humbucker mode, 5.2 kohms in single coil mode, bridge pickup

do we know if the pickup have equal wind on each coil?

I really do enjoy the single coil setting, the tone and the harmonic blooming are excellent. it just is a one or two-tone guitar the neck and bridge setting.
but it is a fantastic two-tone guitar however I bought it for more flexibility. so while it does fall short on the flexibility, the single musical tone that it generates is beautiful. once I start playing it and I get a setting on the amplifier, the intonation and playability and tone is top-notch. I really do like the core tone,
the way the tremolo bar interacts with the gain structure is fantastic. it really does remind me of Eddie Van Halen tones. it growls and talks beautifully.

I'm just wondering if I completely rebuild the electronics with my own micro switches I should be able to kill the screw coil.
I'm thinking of completely rebuilding the electronics compartment from scratch to give me the classic two humbucker's two single coils, as it was designed.

I still haven't seen the answer to how they're adding 1500 winds, so that I can stop that trick. I got about 9.2 kohms, humbucker mode, 5.2 kohms in single coil mode, bridge pickup

do we know if the pickup have equal wind on each coil?

Is-this-Thing-On.png

I hope the core model will still bear the mini headstock eagle!

I've been wanting at Santana for 15 years now, the lack of the coil tap or coil split always stops the purchase.
I looked very carefully at the multidimensional, but most reviewers suggested to pass.

I've been wanting at Santana for 15 years now, the lack of the coil tap or coil split always stops the purchase.
I looked very carefully at the multidimensional, but most reviewers suggested to pass.

I put a set of \m/ pickups in one of mine, along with a push/pull tone pot. It splits now, and sounds great!

Back