Will stopbar tailpiece slots accommodate a set of size .013 -.062/.065 strings?

I had to widen the nut slots but I was careful not to go any deeper with them. I just had to widen them a little bit. The regular string back on there now work fine with the widened nut but one is just every so slightly too low and there is occasional buzz on the 1st fret, so I am considering replacing it with a new one since they're easy to get from PRS, once post-Christmas free cash comes back up to acceptable levels.

I had to widen the nut slots but I was careful not to go any deeper with them. I just had to widen them a little bit. The regular string back on there now work fine with the widened nut but one is just every so slightly too low and there is occasional buzz on the 1st fret, so I am considering replacing it with a new one since they're easy to get from PRS, once post-Christmas free cash comes back up to acceptable levels.

Haha yeah Christmas bled me dry as well.

Now for the inevitable question......what did you use to widen the nut slots? I understand files for this job are widely available, but since I plan on using 13s, the same as you did, can you tell me the exact files/ method you used as to widen but not deepen?
Thanks!

Several years ago I bought a set of "nut files" from ebay. A guy named Norman was modifying feeler gauges of specific thicknesses to become nut files. They work, and they were way cheaper than a real set of nut files, but after some quick googling, it doesn't look like he's making them any more.

The stewmac nut files are great, expensive, but well worth the money if you need to do that process more than a few times. Well worth the money. If you don't need to do this process more than once, take the guitar to a GOOD tech and have them do it. It is 100% necessary to widen the nut slots using strings that large. Also important it's done right, the proper tools make that much easier.

Thanks for your responses guys!

I put 13s on my Gibson lp without any modifications and I didn't have a problem with then. They stayed in tune and didn't need much of a setup overall.....though I gradually worked my way up in string size over the last 10 years or so. I played with 9s for a while then 10s, and so forth.

So I have this theory that the strings sort of "worked their way in" the slots over the years, although I don't know how much of that is true. Or possible. I could be wrong. But everything sounded and felt good to me. It is sort of my "beater" guitar.

But this PRS se cu22 that should be coming in next week has a non adjustable tailpiece and I don't know if I want to be rough with this guitar I want to go about it properly as to not ruin any of the parts.

BTW I will be tuning to B standard

Last edited:
I bought a TP adjustable for my boys SE singlecut and sent it back. even with the included studs it had more slop in the studs into body than original bridge did. I bought some TP stuff for a LP studio I had and had bad experiences with that stuff too.

I bought a TP adjustable for my boys SE singlecut and sent it back. even with the included studs it had more slop in the studs into body than original bridge did. I bought some TP stuff for a LP studio I had and had bad experiences with that stuff too.

Don't say that! Haha I just bought a se soapbar ii with a tone pro installed on it and vintage Seymour duncans and gator case for 400 bucks. Apparently its been reliable for him, I just hope it is when I get it

Don't say that! Haha I just bought a se soapbar ii with a tone pro installed on it and vintage Seymour duncans and gator case for 400 bucks. Apparently its been reliable for him, I just hope it is when I get it

It could be . Some say they have been good for them. I just must have been unlucky with the two items I tried!

Back