Will SE line ever see a violin carve?

Paul Johnson

I love every PRS I’ve ever owned. Mostly SEs but recently I’ve added two of the new CEs. I know SEs have changed the top from flat to the more beveled. What is the chance that there will be an SE with a violin carve in the future? It seems unlikely but I was surprised by the recent addition of the Hollowbody SE line. I wonder how much the violin carve adds to the price. How does it compare in manufacturing difficulty compared to the beveled edge?

I love every PRS I’ve ever owned. Mostly SEs but recently I’ve added two of the new CEs. I know SEs have changed the top from flat to the more beveled. What is the chance that there will be an SE with a violin carve in the future? It seems unlikely but I was surprised by the recent addition of the Hollowbody SE line. I wonder how much the violin carve adds to the price. How does it compare in manufacturing difficulty compared to the beveled edge?

I will never say never but I think its incredibly unlikely.

It takes a lot more wood to make a Violin carve - much more is cut away and 'wasted' so you can make fewer tops, therefore fewer guitars from the same quantity of wood which would increase the costs. Doing a veneer on top becomes more complicated too because of the shape. Sanding out all the CNC tool marks takes a lot more time and skill compared to a 'flat' surface - even with a 'bevel' edge so that also reduces the amount of guitars they can make per day without increasing the staff (which increases the cost as you have more staff to pay, need more space, more rent, more overheads etc). All of that (if not other aspects I haven't mentioned) would seriously push up the cost of an SE and put them out of reach of their target buyers. Would put them into competition with the S2's.

The Hollowbody is a 'different' beast as that is not carved but laminated and pressed to shape - much like a 335. This is why I believe its made in the same place as the Acoustics which would have the machinery in place to press and bend woods for making acoustics. Its a different type of construction to the solid body and 'semi-hollow' builds you get at SE level. Its also different to the Core Hollowbody guitars too that start out as a slab of Mahogany like a solid body that has the entire centre cut out to leave the sides.

The SE's are built to sell at a price point for those who want a PRS but maybe can't afford an American built guitar. Money is saved on numerous factors - not just the fact that labour and overheads are 'cheaper' overseas - but also the fact that the shape helps save 'time' on each guitar and less risk of messing one up so the yield is higher. The shape and way they are built also maximises the amount of guitars they can get from the raw materials too. As such, I think its incredibly unlikely will see a 'Violin' carve on an SE but I also never say never. They could do a 'special' limited run of SE's but I would expect them to cost quite a bit more than the equivalent bevelled edge version but I still think that would be very unlikely...

I think it’s more of a branding/marketing move.

I mean, WMI was making LTD Horizons, and Schecter’s, and a pile of other guitars with violin carved tops right next to SE’s that sell at similar and/or sometimes less than SE prices.

I will never say never but I think its incredibly unlikely.

The Hollowbody is a 'different' beast as that is not carved but laminated and pressed to shape - much like a 335. This is why I believe its made in the same place as the Acoustics which would have the machinery in place to press and bend woods for making acoustics. Its a different type of construction to the solid body and 'semi-hollow' builds you get at SE level. Its also different to the Core Hollowbody guitars too that start out as a slab of Mahogany like a solid body that has the entire centre cut out to leave the sides.

The SE's are built to sell at a price point for those who want a PRS but maybe can't afford an American built guitar. Money is saved on numerous factors - not just the fact that labour and overheads are 'cheaper' overseas - but also the fact that the shape helps save 'time' on each guitar and less risk of messing one up so the yield is higher. The shape and way they are built also maximises the amount of guitars they can get from the raw materials too. As such, I think its incredibly unlikely will see a 'Violin' carve on an SE but I also never say never. They could do a 'special' limited run of SE's but I would expect them to cost quite a bit more than the equivalent bevelled edge version but I still think that would be very unlikely...

Thanks for the detailed response! You make great points. I love all my SE guitars but the carve on my CE bolt on is just so nice. Hope to get a core guitar one day. Lots to appreciate about PRS guitars but the carve is just something I highly value.

I mean, WMI was making LTD Horizons, and Schecter’s, and a pile of other guitars with violin carved tops right next to SE’s that sell at similar and/or sometimes less than SE prices.

Thanks for the response! I also wondered if they’re just trying to keep some of the allure of the carve reserved to core series guitars. I have never played the LTD or WMI guitars.

If you have any Korean SE’s , you’ve played WMI guitars. That’s World Music Instruments. Along with Peerless (and probably some small factories I don’t know about) they make high quality.

Back