Will electric guitars ever appreciate again?

If you buy guitars expecting them to increase in value you are mis-guided, I doubt most of them would even make cost of living increases. There is obviously the odd one out there but they are very few and far between. I buy guitars because I like them and I want to play them for whatever reason. I have three that 'probably' won't loose too much money 1xPRS, 1xF and 1xG but I doubt they will increase and the rest, well, all PRSi, I play the hell out of 'em :cool:

I also don't think keeping guitars pristine does anything for them either. I suspect all the beauties like Bernies "Beast", Paul Kossoff's 1959 LP Standard and Claptons' '56/'57 hybrid Strat "Blackie" all had their fair share of cigarettes, drugs and alcohol spilled over them at one time or another and they play great.

Last edited:
If you really want your collection to increase in value, the easiest way to guarantee that is to practice like hell, write a few albums' worth of good material, get a record deal, get up in front of millions, play your guitars on your best-loved tracks, sustain the career long enough that the big three give you endorsement deals and release signature models, then put the originals up for auction as your approach the twilight of your career. It really couldn't be simpler.

I don't believe in our life time, or at least in mine, will I see newer guitars increase in value to the extent that bursts, early Fenders, Martins and DAngelico's did.

From newer guitars, I do believe that private stock PRS guitars will increase more easily then other guitars. While there are over 6,000 built already, that by itself, is a tiny number, compared to the total guitars being produced, and due to the special woods, and care in building that the PS guitars get. And, to produce a PS guitar, the cost to the buyer will only rise over time. We won't see this happen, but it is possible that future generations might. anything is possible.

I
From newer guitars, I do believe that private stock PRS guitars will increase more easily then other guitars. While there are over 6,000 built already, that by itself, is a tiny number, compared to the total guitars being produced, and due to the special woods, and care in building that the PS guitars get. And, to produce a PS guitar, the cost to the buyer will only rise over time. We won't see this happen, but it is possible that future generations might. anything is possible.

... the only problem with that hypothesis is that it hasn't happened yet.

And there is a pretty good reason for that. Why would I pay over the odds for a PS guitar when I can just get PRS to build me one out of the same stuff? And then I can have it tweaked to my exact liking too?

The only thing that's going to determine any kind of rarity is the materials or the very small handful of features they won't do. So MAYBE PS builds with Pernambuco necks or Celtic knot inlays or Mammoth Ivory will command a small premium... but I think it will be small.

I think it is more likely that the signatures on the back of the headstock on any given PS will determine the value to some degree - when PRSh can no longer sign them for whatever reason, the ones that do bear his signature may become more valuable.

But it does feel a bit like there is a sudden "market flood" of PS stuff too - they appear to be doing really well which is terrific, but I think that there have been nearly 1000 guitars built in the last year and a bit alone... the pace is starting to get a little crazy and the more there are out there, the easier they are to get... etc etc... you can see where I'm going.

Last edited:
Will people even be playing guitars in 20-30 years?

Just try to get anything for your used accordion these days...

I believe people will still be playing guitar in 20-30 years.
The reason is that people have played the guitar for centuries already.

If no one is playing guitar in 20-30 years, I may still be in demand, even though I will be 87. Ahh, job security! ;)

When civilisation collapses and the power goes out permanently your guitars could be very valuable... as firewood...

When civilisation collapses and the power goes out permanently your guitars could be very valuable... as firewood...

While this IS a possibility, if one has a generator and gas, it may not be over even after it's over, at least for a little while longer. ;)

While this IS a possibility, if one has a generator and gas, it may not be over even after it's over, at least for a little while longer. ;)

As opposed to a generator and GAS, which could mean guitar sales could continue... :)

By the way, I can play the accordion, so if you want to form a "no one plays these instruments any more" band in 20 years, count me in.

As opposed to a generator and GAS, which could mean guitar sales could continue... :)

By the way, I can play the accordion, so if you want to form a "no one plays these instruments any more" band in 20 years, count me in.

If I'm still breathing, you gotta date!

I think PS guitars are even LESS likely to appreciate in value - since each one is different (not really, but it IS a "custom" guitar, so I think that's the perception), they will be seen as individuals rather than "the pinnacle of PRS guitars".

I think PS guitars are even LESS likely to appreciate in value - since each one is different (not really, but it IS a "custom" guitar, so I think that's the perception), they will be seen as individuals rather than "the pinnacle of PRS guitars".
I think there will be a large element of this. Just being private stock isn't likely to make it valuable - it will have to be a private stock with specific characteristics that are in demand - perhaps wood that is no longer available.

I think there will be a large element of this. Just being private stock isn't likely to make it valuable - it will have to be a private stock with specific characteristics that are in demand - perhaps wood that is no longer available.
I concur with all the posts with this line of thinking. There are always models that "speak to me" more than others -- perhaps those?

Back