Will chrome covers fit the "squabbins"?

Squabbins are the ONLY acceptable uncovered pickup! They fill the pickup cavity like a covered pickup (hence why you can't fit a cover over them) and as such, look far more premium!

CK_17ViolaPickups.JPG

Look at all that space around these pickups - that looks so cheap and bad fitting to me - but that's because they should have a cover to 'fit' that space properly. Sorry if this guitar belongs to someone here btw, I don't have any guitars with uncovered 'regular' bobbins.

1xL88Ns.jpg

9f3DHez.jpg

Look how much better these pickups fit in the space of my Custom 24's (Top Cu24 with 85/15's, bottom Cu24 Floyd with \m/ Pups), no horrible gaps that look cheap and lower quality (at least in my opinion).

Squabbins are designed to fit the space like a covered Humbucker would - designed as a proper uncovered Humbucker should be. The others look exactly like someone ripped off the cover (or cheaped out in providing a cover in the first place) and certainly not 'designed' to fit with standard Pickup rings...

Squabbins are the ONLY acceptable uncovered pickup! They fill the pickup cavity like a covered pickup (hence why you can't fit a cover over them) and as such, look far more premium!

CK_17ViolaPickups.JPG

Look at all that space around these pickups - that looks so cheap and bad fitting to me - but that's because they should have a cover to 'fit' that space properly. Sorry if this guitar belongs to someone here btw, I don't have any guitars with uncovered 'regular' bobbins.

1xL88Ns.jpg

9f3DHez.jpg

Look how much better these pickups fit in the space of my Custom 24's (Top Cu24 with 85/15's, bottom Cu24 Floyd with \m/ Pups), no horrible gaps that look cheap and lower quality (at least in my opinion).

Squabbins are designed to fit the space like a covered Humbucker would - designed as a proper uncovered Humbucker should be. The others look exactly like someone ripped off the cover (or cheaped out in providing a cover in the first place) and certainly not 'designed' to fit with standard Pickup rings...

Good visual comparison. Makes one wonder why all uncovereds aren’t made like that.

CK_17ViolaPickups.JPG

That was Paul's personal guitar for 2-3 years.
He's all about how it sounds.

But your point is well made.

So...... How do I get 59/09's with covers? Or the equivalent pickup that is covered?
You'll have to be at the mercy of ebay and Reverb. I sent my '08 Cu22 to the PTC a few years ago for a refinish and some electronics modifications, including a 57/08 neck and 59/09 bridge. It came back to me with both pick ups covered. They'll be on the used market. There were plenty of guitars made with covered 59/09s. Looking around me, I have a DC-22, a Dirty 100, and a DGT that came out of the factory with covered 59/09s. I also had a SC Ted that had covered 59/09s.

Back