Wide Fat vs. Pattern Regular Necks

cfire

So, I can't get to a PRS dealer soon and I've been doing some reading. I just tried a PRS Acoustic SE and I have a firm idea on the feel of the neck. Now I know that they're different but how different are the pattern regular necks from the wide fat? I've read that the pattern regular is a variation of the wide fat neck.

Would love some opinions/observations/etc.

So, I can't get to a PRS dealer soon and I've been doing some reading. I just tried a PRS Acoustic SE and I have a firm idea on the feel of the neck. Now I know that they're different but how different are the pattern regular necks from the wide fat? I've read that the pattern regular is a variation of the wide fat neck.

Would love some opinions/observations/etc.

Wide/Fat is the 'Pattern' neck - Pattern Regular is very similar but narrower at the nut...

necks-new-jpg.8237

https://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/support/article/neck_profiles will also give you information on the Pattern Necks. Regular became Pattern Regular....

Pattern Regular is a happy compromise that feels pleasant to most players.

I prefer W/F for my small hands — I never would have guessed that. This is why you need to try everything you can. You might surprise yourself.

I have Pattern Regular, which is my favorite, Pattern Vintage and the 635JM-R. There is a difference, and the hand notices it, but these three are so similar that none is offensive. I just sold a Ritchie Kotzen Telecaster because the neck was a baseball bat and claimed by many to be one of the fattest. I could play it, but it was less than comfortable and terribly different from all my other guitars. I find the difference between the three PRS necks I mentioned to be a matter of taste. I would have bought all three guitars in the Pattern Regular if I could have, but I love each one anyway. The Pattern Vintage is closer to my Gibson Les Paul neck than the other two, with the JM closer to my Fender Strat Modern C neck. I spent a short time with a Jem Jr, and that neck was thinner than my hand wanted to work with for any length of time. Congratulations and enjoy whatever you choose.

I think I have one of everything they’ve made except pattern thin. They’re all good. Depending on the year, wide fat can feel the most substantial in my hand, but they’re all comfortable.

You got to try them all unfortunately.

I just got a guitar with Pattern Regular on Wednesday, on paper it's supposed to be a happy medium since 1) I really enjoy Pattern and 2) I like Pattern Thin though it does feel a little too thin at time (especially towards the nut).

Turns out it's a neck profile I don't like.
Not only doesn't feel that substantially thicker than Pattern Thin on the guitars I have, it actually feels cramped.
The guitar will be returned if I don't get used to it in the next couple days.
It's bad enough for me it prompted me to urgently ask if I could still change, even with a fee, the neck profile of a Private Stock CU24 build I had spec'd w/ Pattern Regular...
I recall the salesperson pointing out it felt thin for a Pattern Regular, so maybe the neck of that guitar is particularly thin but it's hard to tell for sure since he was confusing Pattern and Pattern Regular in our early discussion.... I don't recall that cramped feeling when I tried one last year though.

I'd have a hard time telling Pattern and Pattern Thin apart, at least based on the guitars I have.
Pattern is much more obvious difference in feel.
Keep in mind there can be drastic neck to neck variations. I have a Silver Sky I love but all other ones I tried had necks that felt uncomfortably thick.
And I would say the W/F on the SE acoustic is more hand-filling/thick than Pattern.

Again try if possible, and if not buy from a place with a fair return policy if you find out you don't like the neck.

Back