Wide/Fat to Pattern Regular?

andymue

Hey,

I'm thinking about a neck-reshape for my SAS that has a W/F maple neck.

Now, I think Pattern regular is my favourite profile.
However, as the fretboard's narrower than W/F, is a reshape here possible?

Or would the PTC be able to replace the neck, for example?

Thanks!

We re-shape necks all the time, so it won't be a problem. If you have the older nitro finish on the neck, you may want to consider the new finish we current use. It's a huge improvement compared to the nitro IMHO

Good to know, thanks!

Does it involve a refret then?
I imagine making the fretbaord narrower with frets installed could be a problem...

No refret required, the nut width is the same, it is just that the shoulders are narrower, a different shape.

I really liked the WF carve, but I *LOVE* the Pattern Carve, my favorite carve ever.

I worked with Shawn and the PTC team to have a recarve done for one of my Willcutt's Wood Library DC Ted's from WF to Pattern, and they did a TERRIFIC job with it!!

If you love the Pattern Carve, sent it into the PTC with no fear, it will come back great.

Pattern Reg is a teeny bit narrower at the nut than Pattern:

WIDTH OF THE FRETBOARD AT THE NUT:

Pattern, Wide Fat - 1 11/16"
Pattern Thin, Wide Thin - 1 11/16"
Pattern Regular, Regular - 1 21/32"
12 String - 1 47/64"

WIDTH AT THE BODY

Pattern, Wide Fat - 2 1/4"
Pattern Thin, Wide Thin - 2 1/4"
Pattern Regular, Regular - 2 1/4"
12 String - 2 19/64"

NECK DEPTH AT THE NUT

Pattern, Wide Fat - 27/32"
Pattern Thin, Wide Thin - 25/32"
Pattern Regular, Regular - 27/32"
12 String - 27/32"

At 0.8mm difference I don't think I would notice the difference between a Pattern Reg and a WF/Pattern hybrid (same shape as PR, but just a bit wider) but it would be interesting to see if it can be done without a refret. I assume the reshape is done by a CNC router, so if the bit is the right one, it should be able to shave down the neck and frets at the same time (with enough passes).

Maybe a CNC belt sander would be the go!

No refret required, the nut width is the same, it is just that the shoulders are narrower, a different shape.

I really liked the WF carve, but I *LOVE* the Pattern Carve, my favorite carve ever.

I worked with Shawn and the PTC team to have a recarve done for one of my Willcutt's Wood Library DC Ted's from WF to Pattern, and they did a TERRIFIC job with it!!

If you love the Pattern Carve, sent it into the PTC with no fear, it will come back great.

Sorry, I misread the topic, I thought you were talking WF to Pattern, not WF to Pattern Regular.

I take back everything above, and defer to Shawn. I had WF to Pattern done, and that turned out AWESOME!

WF to Pattern Regular, I don't know the details there.

Good luck!

At 0.8mm difference I don't think I would notice the difference between a Pattern Reg and a WF/Pattern hybrid
When you play them back to back, the difference is there. I can tell the difference between my regular neck Mira and my wide-fat Custom 22. It's hard to believe such a small difference would be noticeable, but it is. That said, the transition between them is just about negligible. They're both great. Somehow I still haven't ever played a real DGT, and I'm curious about that carve since it's supposed to be a little bigger than the regular.

Back