Wide/Fat setup

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by DGTplayer, Apr 29, 2012.

1. DGTplayer

DGTplayer New Member

Those of you with these necks,
    How high do you set your action? Just curious where other people are feeling theirs. I'm using 10's, playing blues and rock on a H2 but the website setup seems a little high to me.
    Thanks!

2. CharlieFoxtrot

CharlieFoxtrot New Member

My two SE's are wide fat as is my SC 245 and I use 10's. On all three guitars (one SE is a trem) I set the action to the factory spec for the bridge type and then lower it just a little, maybe not even a full 1/64". I also like just a slight bit of neck relief from dead on flat so that I don't fret out on bends up around the 20th - 22nd frets.

3. MykeWright

MykeWright Bridge constructor

Firstly I measure my action at the 14th fret and with a capo on the 1st fret.

Bass side 4/64", treble 3/64" and if it's got a trem, I use a Stew-Mac 10" radius gauge the set the middle 4 strings.

4. David Grantham

David Grantham New Member

Generally speaking I usually go 1/64" below factory setup with very little relief. This works well for me with 11-49 gauge strings. I have some set-up with 10's that feel good just a tad higher. I had to set the dirty 100 up a bit higher due to the shorter scale length.