Why you shouldn't sell an amp....

I've been really struggling with keeping my Bad Cat amp lately. I like it, I've had it longer than any other amp I've owned(14-15 years maybe?). I just don't play it anymore. Almost ever. It may be because, at home, I can't play it at the volume that it thrives at. I've considered getting an unleash or fryette to help with that(and also give me an FX option) but not sure I want to go thru the trouble or spend more $ to make it better suited to me playing at home with it. I feel like I'm holding on to it for nostalgia and that it's one of the early Sampson designed models. I know I wouldn't get much money for it(it's well worn from lots of gigs). I just feel like it's useless to me sitting here. My rig set up doesn't allow me to swap amps in and out because of the channel switching and midi control over how I'm set up.
I've felt the same way about my Boogie countless times. As soon as I've convinced myself that it's time to let go, I rediscover it. It happened again this past weekend! Since it won't command that much $$, why give someone else a sweet deal when you can appreciate it when the feeling strikes you? But I'm a sentimental owner, so that door only swings one direction.

I've felt the same way about my Boogie countless times. As soon as I've convinced myself that it's time to let go, I rediscover it. It happened again this past weekend! Since it won't command that much $$, why give someone else a sweet deal when you can appreciate it when the feeling strikes you? But I'm a sentimental owner, so that door only swings one direction.

This bolsters my proposition that gear knows when it's at risk. As soon as serious thought to moving said gear makes its way to the frontal lobe, the gear discards complacency and brings its A game.

My rig set up doesn't allow me to swap amps in and out because of the channel switching and midi control over how I'm set up.

If you want switching between amps with MIDI control, there are Lehle amp switchers that are programmable (i.e., you can choose to have only one amp on at a time, or set them up for two or more amps on at a time) and they respond to MIDI.

The blue pedal on my board below is the Lehle 1 at 3 amp switcher, and it works as advertised, absolutely does not suck tone, etc. I don't use MIDI on my pedalboard, I just use the buttons, but it does respond to MIDI messages when it's set up to do that (the thing is awesomely flexible).

When switching between 3 amps, it automatically lifts the ground on any amps that aren't on. So there are no ground loops, like you get with most ABY boxes.

If you want to run two amps at once (I don't do this very often), you do need to use a passive ground isolation box on each additional amp that you want to run at the same time (i.e., one amp must always have the signal grounded).

Lehle makes one -- it's a useful thing to have around, and I have it in the gear cabinet for those times when I want to run two amps, or need to isolate grounds on other gear.

The 1 at 3 also does some other tricks that I can't remember, simply because I don't need those tricks and was too lazy to learn all of its capabilities.

My switching system is capable, but I I just don't want to go through the trouble. That and I don't desire to play the amp live over my Archon ever. The Archon is better suited for what I do. Then there's the lack of loop which I need live with the band. I'm trying to downsize my live rig currently to streamline things and carry less gear with me.
If you want switching between amps with MIDI control, there are Lehle amp switchers that are programmable (i.e., you can choose to have only one amp on at a time, or set them up for two or more amps on at a time) and they respond to MIDI.

The blue pedal on my board below is the Lehle 1 at 3 amp switcher, and it works as advertised, absolutely does not suck tone, etc. I don't use MIDI on my pedalboard, I just use the buttons, but it does respond to MIDI messages when it's set up to do that (the thing is awesomely flexible).

When switching between 3 amps, it automatically lifts the ground on any amps that aren't on. So there are no ground loops, like you get with most ABY boxes.

If you want to run two amps at once (I don't do this very often), you do need to use a passive ground isolation box on each additional amp that you want to run at the same time (i.e., one amp must always have the signal grounded).

Lehle makes one -- it's a useful thing to have around, and I have it in the gear cabinet for those times when I want to run two amps, or need to isolate grounds on other gear.

The 1 at 3 also does some other tricks that I can't remember, simply because I don't need those tricks and was too lazy to learn all of its capabilities.

Well, I find that I'm not going to be able to take your advice. Looks like I'm going to have to sell two amps. As much as I like them, the HXDA and the Dallas will both need to find a new home.

The reasons to sell them are
1. I'm $42,000.00 in debt and I'd like to get back as much of my six grand back as possible.
2. If I sell both of these amps, I'll still have 5 world class amps left over that I can be perfectly happy with for the rest of my life.

HXDAwPRS-3amps.jpg

I have never been in a position to keep all of the amps I acquired, and even if I was in that position, I wouldn't have kept them. While I liked some better then others, in the end, if there was something about any amp that I was not in agreement with personally, it went.

At one time, I had about 12 amps in my home, total, but now I have a Marshall, a Matrix, a Kemper and am saving towards some type of Metropoulus. My amps have been sold due to my age and how heavy they are to be lifting in and out of cars, and into and out of clubs after a long night.

As much as I won't need the Kemper, I am saving that as it is so versatile, but it just doesn't sound as an all valve amp does through an amp return. Through cans, yes, but that is the only reason it will stay for now.

The Archon amps look really good, but with no dealers around to try one, and since I finally know what I desire for tone after 59 + years of trial and error, I believe I just need to stop dicking around with trial and error and accept what my ears tell me is what I want to hear.

O.K., I'm a slow learner, I get it. ;)

The Archon amps look really good, but with no dealers around to try one, and since I finally know what I desire for tone after 59 + years of trial and error, I believe I just need to stop dicking around with trial and error and accept what my ears tell me is what I want to hear.

O.K., I'm a slow learner, I get it. ;)

I'm with ya, brother!

I tend to repeat the errors of my ways. And not just once... :)

It's funny reading at The Gear Page, how many guys have owned a particular amp 2 or even 3 times. The grass is always greener and they sell for something they "hope" will be better, then miss it and buy another one. I've never done that with amps, but certainly did a few times with pedals. I am still thinking that after I get an Archon, I "may" get another TA15. I also keep thinking I might sell my Mini Rec, but turned it on again last night and immediately said "no way!" I had to play acoustic last night at church, so when I came home I had to do a deep cleansing with some rippage on the Mini Rec. :)

Just out of curiosity what 4 amps will you be selling?

Debt, schmebt.

Keep the amps and sell a kidney.

Well, on the other side of the coin, these two amps will be very hard to find a buyer due to them being so specialized (and expensive) so that means that if I still own them when they are paid off, I am a lot more likely to just keep them.

Suhr/CAA PT 100, Marshall Sl5 and Fishman Loudbox Mini. The fourth is not worth mentioning.

Wow, selling a PT100? That should be a KILLER amp! And, you might want to PM me about the Loudbox Mini. I might know someone who is interested.

Back