Why won't PRS offer Stainless frets?

With regard to which part? Owning lots of PRS guitars? Sure, completely expected. But in the context of the discussion, where somebody said about the brand being for the hobbyist/collector, that does support their point of view.

Personally, as a former musician turned hobbyist in the UK, I’m indifferent about whether it makes any difference! I like that we have choices.

As for the changing out parts bit of my post, well to be honest it kinda says “I’m not really a fan of what you’ve done there, Paul”. Otherwise, why change?

Hope that clarifies it for you.

I don’t think any guitar brand of decent size would survive without hobbyists and collectors. So i’d say they all fit that bill.

It was kinda amusing to see somebody try to debunk the idea that PRS guitars are for rich/casual hobbyists (or whatever) when I regularly see pictures posted on here of someone’s wall to wall PRS collection.

Yeah... well I was probably the one you’re referring too. At least, I for one opposed the notion that PRS is for rich, casual players. Since I’m offensive when I act like an aging jock, I won’t. ;) But I’m not rich, and I have 5 core models. And I was never very casual about playing. But you believe what you want to believe.

It’s a discussion forum guys. If you can’t take other people’s opinions with a pinch of salt then perhaps it’s not for you. Just saying.

It’s a discussion forum guys. If you can’t take other people’s opinions with a pinch of salt then perhaps it’s not for you. Just saying.

I agree with what you're saying. Unless someone directly applies something to a group you are in that doesn't apply to YOU. If you drop in the PRS forum, and laugh at forum members resisting the "PRS guitars are for rich casual players" then you should expect some blowback. I'm sure there are casual players here. There are also pros. There are rich guys here, and guys who it takes a real sacrifice to afford a PRS. I'm not rich. And for many years, if you inferred that I was a bedroom player and not a serious guitar player, I would have gladly offered to cut heads with you to see what's up. But there are pro players who hang here, so no need to. "The casual rich guys" thing is tired, IMO. And this coming from one of those guys who used to believe that any "guitar collector" who didn't actually play them was wasting a thing of beauty. Now I understand that those who are collectors are a big part of how the company survived and became what it is now. The cash flow provided was critical at times, and I was never going to buy 25 $10K+ instruments anyway. LOL

For the record, not rich. Not casual. Not a blues lawyer or dentist. I do have a music room that was formerly a bedroom though. But I also played in front of 1000 people twice in the last two weeks. I just don't like the stereotype and usually only hear it from keyboard jockeys at TGP, many of whom can't put up any proof that they can even play adequately, and thus have no reason to insult others who have nice instruments, except for jealousy. And that's why I personally respond negatively to it here.

Last edited by a moderator:

In this vid around 2:20 Paul says he doesn't want his guitars to be refretted unless someone has played the hell out of it for 10-20 years. I've had my Bernie and my S2 for about six years and they are both showing very visible wear particularly under the top E.

I agree with what you're saying. Unless someone directly applies something to a group you are in that doesn't apply to YOU. If you drop in the PRS forum, and laugh at forum members resisting the "PRS guitars are for rich casual players" then you should expect some blowback. I'm sure there are casual players here. There are also pros. There are rich guys here, and guys who it takes a real sacrifice to afford a PRS. I'm not rich. And for many years, if you inferred that I was a bedroom player and not a serious guitar player, I would have gladly offered to cut heads with you to see what's up. But there are pro players who hang here, so no need to. "The casual rich guys" thing is tired, IMO. And this coming from one of those guys who used to believe that any "guitar collector" who didn't actually play them was wasting a thing of beauty. Now I understand that those who are collectors are a big part of how the company survived and became what it is now. The cash flow provided was critical at times, and I was never going to buy 25 $10K+ instruments anyway. LOL

For the record, not rich. Not casual. Not a blues lawyer or dentist. I do have a music room that was formerly a bedroom though. But I also played in front of 1000 people twice in the last two weeks. I just don't like the stereotype and usually only hear it from keyboard jockeys at TGP, many of whom can't put up any proof that they can even play adequately, and thus have no reason to insult others who have nice instruments, except for jealousy. And that's why I personally respond negatively to it here.

Not to mention Les Pauls cost around the same as a standard Core PRS and the vintage reissues easily reach 6-8k and no one ever says a word about that. People wouldn’t buy them if they weren’t worth it.

I knows Paul talked about fret material in Rules of Tone video series. I don’t know how high ss frets demand is nowadays.

I prefer ss frets and no matter how Paul think about the frets I don’t care much. After years of waiting I gave up the hope to see PRS guitars come equipped with ss frets already.

I had my SE SVN refretted with ss. This is a game changer in playability - silky smooth bending and more eye-pleasing without obvious tone change.

F2GunwZ.jpg

FdZh3qX.jpg

Last edited:
Don’t forget a good guitar also need a roasted maple neck today.

No kidding, that’s quite the marketing job. “How can we use cheap, non-quarter-sawn maple, not spend the money and time to dry it properly, and get people to buy into the idea? Maybe the word roasted sounds positive…”

What’s next? Baked birch sounds good, right?

Dave’s currently has an $11K Les Paul in stock, it’s a reissue too. In contrast, I’ve seen one of my dream guitars on the ‘verb and I can tell you though used, it’s way cheaper. I’m only buying core/wood library if I can get a crackwood neck. That LP, doesn’t even have that.

Back