Why the hatred?

Only 5 guitars? You need more gear....

Nothing wrong with just 5 guitars - I have just 5 guitars (If you exclude the Acoustic)

If I hadn't spent the money on my my 5 core PRS guitars, I could have spent the money on 'SE's' instead so I could have 20+ guitars and storage issues. Storage would be a LOT more of an issue if I bought Harley Benton, Squire and/or Epiphone priced guitars as I could of bought 50+ and for the Price of my Hollowbody II, I could have bought over 20 Harley Benton guitars alone...

I opted to go for quality over quantity

Every Guitarist though would probably say they need more Gear and the number of guitars they need is n+1 where n is the number they have already - in other words, its always 1 more even after buying 1 more. If its not a Guitar, there is always a pedal, an Amp/Cab or some other gear that we always need, there is never a time when we have enough - at least not unless we are told you have enough by a partner... LOL

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with just 5 guitars - I have just 5 guitars (If you exclude the Acoustic)

If I hadn't spent the money on my my 5 core PRS guitars, I could have spent the money on 'SE's' instead so I could have 20+ guitars and storage issues. Storage would be a LOT more of an issue if I bought Harley Benton, Squire and/or Epiphone priced guitars as I could of bought 50+ and for the Price of my Hollowbody II, I could have bought over 20 Harley Benton guitars alone...

Every Guitarist though would probably say they need more Gear and the number of guitars they need is n+1 where n is the number they have already - in other words, its always 1 more even after buying 1 more. If its not a Guitar, there is always a pedal, an Amp/Cab or some other gear that we always need, there is never a time when we have enough - at least not unless we are told you have enough by a partner... LOL
Funny I bought Matt that n+1 t shirt! I guess they were teasing about no PRS. We get it about quality, we could never afford the fancy ones, if we sold every guitar, we could maybe have one. My husband is happy with MIM, he has 2 actual Gibson’s a LP studio and an old SG. It’s easier to come up with 1 guitars worth of money! A couple are guitars we cobbled together, which was fun! Body from EBay, find a neck, choose pu’s, you know the kelly we pieced together sounds close to the LP? Probably the Duncan jazz/distortion combo! Each guitar was hours of fun, love, and time spent together. But, we need to slow down before I run out of fingers and toes...

Funny I bought Matt that n+1 t shirt! I guess they were teasing about no PRS. We get it about quality, we could never afford the fancy ones, if we sold every guitar, we could maybe have one. My husband is happy with MIM, he has 2 actual Gibson’s a LP studio and an old SG. It’s easier to come up with 1 guitars worth of money! A couple are guitars we cobbled together, which was fun! Body from EBay, find a neck, choose pu’s, you know the kelly we pieced together sounds close to the LP? Probably the Duncan jazz/distortion combo! Each guitar was hours of fun, love, and time spent together. But, we need to slow down before I run out of fingers and toes...

For me, the big issue is space and 20 guitars + cases and amps etc take up a lot of room. For me, it made much more sense to have 5 (or thereabouts) very high quality guitars - each able to bring their own unique role in my collection - instead of maybe 1 or 2 high end and the other 3/4 being low/middle tier that are 'great' but I still know there is 'better' out there and would want to eventually trade them up until I do have 5 high-end guitars. I also feel that once you play a core PRS, the only guitars that can sit alongside and make you want to pick up and play is another core PRS.

If you put a limit on your husband - say 5 or 6 due to space concerns, do you think he would want to eventually trade in the lower end ones until all 5 or 6 were high end? Maybe things are different with you both because you are taking an interest in guitars, are building and modding guitars together and those guitars, regardless of their financial worth have much more in terms of sentimental value. I can totally understand why some frankenstein guitar that has built together having more value to you, not an option to trade up (mod maybe but not trade in for a different guitar).

Everyone is different and has different circumstances but I have a limited amount of space which limits the number of guitars I can realistically own - not unless I end up selling my sofa or my bed and stacking up the cases to sit/sleep on those instead. It makes sense to me to have 5 or 6 guitars that are all 'equal', all of which make me want to play, all of which offer something that only that guitar can offer and give me the widest tonal palette to paint music with. I could have had 5 or 6 Harley Bentons (for example) instead but I know I would want to get rid of them and trade up for something better.

Yup, that gear syndrome is a sickness. The world is still looking for a cure (although those infected with it don’t seem to be looking for a cure as urgently as they should... instead they are looking for more gear so go figure).

I have a 10 guitar limit. And I’m at 10 now so in order for something to come in, something has to go out. Of those 10, I have my top 7 (of which I’ve named ‘the magnificent seven’) and those ain’t moving on any time soon.

I could have a ton of SE guitars given what I’ve paid for for these Core/Artist/Wood Library mofos. And I probably would have that many if I hadn’t been spoiled forever by playing my first Core model. I kept 2 SEs because they were high quality for what they were but my Cores get pretty much all of the playing time these days.

There are guitar players and guitar owners (both of varying degrees of skill). I postulate that it’s mostly guitar owners who spew hatred for various brands. That gives them some sort of superior feeling, I guess. I can respect a good collector, and God knows I respect skilled players. The time spent dissing other brands would be better spent practicing and shutting the hell up. Or finding the holy grail guitar. My guitars aren’t better than yours, just as my playing isn’t “better” than yours. It’s learning, the journey, and the search. We’re lucky, because we can appreciate our instruments. My thrill is opening the case, putting the guitar around my neck, feeling the strings vibrate, and hearing parts of myself that I can only hear with my PRSi. The fact that every guitar, top to bottom, is stupidly beautiful makes it even better. I’m on the back end of my playing career, past 65, and 4 hand surgeries in. I get an even bigger thrill now than I did when I was 14, and playing my Harmony that I bought with my paper route money. There isn’t much to rival the magic of music, and THAT doesn’t include insulting other people or their guitars. Just don’t insult my guitars, or I’ll burn your house down, and sell your children to the gypsies.

@Casi1 I don't really have a guitar limit but I know I am at a point where I may have to consider re arranging everything, clearing out cupboards etc - but maybe just 1 more? LOL You are right, I need a cure but not actively seeking one. I just hope NAMM is quiet and boring if only to let my Bank balance recover after buying my 2019 PRS Special last month.

I am a bit like that guitarist that say's if you aren't using it and not likely to, unless it has some sentimental value, trade it in for something you do want to play. when you have a few 'core' PRS guitars waiting to be played, not much else can make a case for itself to remain in my collection. This is also a bit of a problem because I am probably at my limit as far as space is concerned.

Every one of my PRS guitars offer something:
PRS 594 - double humbucker vintage Les Paul but better and with modern features that add not detract from it
PRS 509 - A SuperStrat - giving me the SC Tele/Strat tones and the Humbuckers are great too
PRS Cu24 - Completely different double Humbucker and a classic PRS guitar.
PRS HBii - Hollowbody with Piezo and the 58/15 LT's suit this guitar so well.
PRS SSH - A limited edition Custom 22 on steroids with so much versatility - semi-hollow also keeps the weight down

I much prefer Humbuckers and the only two I can't split are my Cu24 & HBii. I have Vintage to classic to modern, split and SC's to add to my tonal palette and if you add up all the PU combinations I have, there is 37 - not inc the ability to blend in the Piezo. If I had to consider trading one to get a new one in, in all honesty I can't - not unless its a Wood Library or Private Stock upgrade on my 'core' PRS but that would be just a like for like swap. If PRS come out with a 'new' guitar that is different enough and I need what it offers, but would have to sell 1 of what I have and lose that role, I don't know what I would do - probably try and make room for it and worry about where I can fit it in later. Losing anyone of these 5 is losing that very something that made me want it in the first place and the only thing that 'could' replace one is a 'higher' tier version.

Anyway, this is getting a bit off-topic as I am demonstrating why I love ALL my PRS guitars and would not want to lose any. I am not a Doctor, Lawyer, dentist etc and my Guitars are all the most I have ever spent on a single item and not on credit (as some of my cars were). I wanted these so much that I was willing to sacrifice other aspects to maximise my saving potential to be in a position to buy. I could have given in after a month or two and spent the money I had accumulated on a lower price guitar or whatever other items I may of been tempted by but I saved up and bought.

If I can do that, so can any of the jealous haters, the ones that go on about price and especially those that compare to the other big 2 US manufacturers who can't even make a PRS core quality guitar in their custom shop and charge more too. I do find it funny that a lot of these are critical of PRS on cost and then criticising the others for quality control issues - not that they would buy a new Gibson or US Fender too replace their Epipone or MiM Strat that they proudly state is better than US built. Its that ignorance, that they clearly haven't spent time playing a PRS - even at SE level and yet seem to know 'everything'. That the guitars are Sterile or lacking in soul, that the only people who buy are people that spent their life pursuing academic qualifications rather than time mastering an instrument and only buying for 'wall art' because that's all PRS guitars are, that Paul's passion and enthusiasm, the fact that he takes no credit for the guitars leaving the factory and honours the staff team for producing such high quality instruments consistently as a reason not like or buy the instruments etc etc I could go on (and have already) but its such a shame that these people don't at least do some research, try the instruments themselves - some seem to afraid to try in case they actually like them and that would throw their stubborn ignorant arguments out of the window. Its ridiculous! I know there is a LOT of information on the net, reviews, factory walkthrough videos, etc, and some things they need to get off their ass to find out (feel, playability etc) but unfortunately it seems that there is more BS being spouted on the internet rather than fact...

Paul will happily tell you the story of one such person who was being very critical of PRS and the Silver Sky, how after reaching one down and playing it, changed that person and they ended up walking out of the shop with a new Silver Sky. Paul says he knew that the Silver Sky was every bit as good tonally as a genuine 63/64 Strat - just a fraction of the cost instead. That's just on hearing one in the flesh - not on a compressed youtube video. Maybe there is hope for those 'haters' afterall...

@Casi1 I don't really have a guitar limit but I know I am at a point where I may have to consider re arranging everything, clearing out cupboards etc - but maybe just 1 more? LOL You are right, I need a cure but not actively seeking one. I just hope NAMM is quiet and boring if only to let my Bank balance recover after buying my 2019 PRS Special last month.

I am a bit like that guitarist that say's if you aren't using it and not likely to, unless it has some sentimental value, trade it in for something you do want to play. when you have a few 'core' PRS guitars waiting to be played, not much else can make a case for itself to remain in my collection. This is also a bit of a problem because I am probably at my limit as far as space is concerned.

Every one of my PRS guitars offer something:
PRS 594 - double humbucker vintage Les Paul but better and with modern features that add not detract from it
PRS 509 - A SuperStrat - giving me the SC Tele/Strat tones and the Humbuckers are great too
PRS Cu24 - Completely different double Humbucker and a classic PRS guitar.
PRS HBii - Hollowbody with Piezo and the 58/15 LT's suit this guitar so well.
PRS SSH - A limited edition Custom 22 on steroids with so much versatility - semi-hollow also keeps the weight down

I much prefer Humbuckers and the only two I can't split are my Cu24 & HBii. I have Vintage to classic to modern, split and SC's to add to my tonal palette and if you add up all the PU combinations I have, there is 37 - not inc the ability to blend in the Piezo. If I had to consider trading one to get a new one in, in all honesty I can't - not unless its a Wood Library or Private Stock upgrade on my 'core' PRS but that would be just a like for like swap. If PRS come out with a 'new' guitar that is different enough and I need what it offers, but would have to sell 1 of what I have and lose that role, I don't know what I would do - probably try and make room for it and worry about where I can fit it in later. Losing anyone of these 5 is losing that very something that made me want it in the first place and the only thing that 'could' replace one is a 'higher' tier version.

Anyway, this is getting a bit off-topic as I am demonstrating why I love ALL my PRS guitars and would not want to lose any. I am not a Doctor, Lawyer, dentist etc and my Guitars are all the most I have ever spent on a single item and not on credit (as some of my cars were). I wanted these so much that I was willing to sacrifice other aspects to maximise my saving potential to be in a position to buy. I could have given in after a month or two and spent the money I had accumulated on a lower price guitar or whatever other items I may of been tempted by but I saved up and bought.

If I can do that, so can any of the jealous haters, the ones that go on about price and especially those that compare to the other big 2 US manufacturers who can't even make a PRS core quality guitar in their custom shop and charge more too. I do find it funny that a lot of these are critical of PRS on cost and then criticising the others for quality control issues - not that they would buy a new Gibson or US Fender too replace their Epipone or MiM Strat that they proudly state is better than US built. Its that ignorance, that they clearly haven't spent time playing a PRS - even at SE level and yet seem to know 'everything'. That the guitars are Sterile or lacking in soul, that the only people who buy are people that spent their life pursuing academic qualifications rather than time mastering an instrument and only buying for 'wall art' because that's all PRS guitars are, that Paul's passion and enthusiasm, the fact that he takes no credit for the guitars leaving the factory and honours the staff team for producing such high quality instruments consistently as a reason not like or buy the instruments etc etc I could go on (and have already) but its such a shame that these people don't at least do some research, try the instruments themselves - some seem to afraid to try in case they actually like them and that would throw their stubborn ignorant arguments out of the window. Its ridiculous! I know there is a LOT of information on the net, reviews, factory walkthrough videos, etc, and some things they need to get off their ass to find out (feel, playability etc) but unfortunately it seems that there is more BS being spouted on the internet rather than fact...

Paul will happily tell you the story of one such person who was being very critical of PRS and the Silver Sky, how after reaching one down and playing it, changed that person and they ended up walking out of the shop with a new Silver Sky. Paul says he knew that the Silver Sky was every bit as good tonally as a genuine 63/64 Strat - just a fraction of the cost instead. That's just on hearing one in the flesh - not on a compressed youtube video. Maybe there is hope for those 'haters' afterall...

I’m like you in that each of my guitars offers something special that makes them unique to me.... that’s why I see nothing knocking any of the magnificent seven out of their current rankings. I won’t list the guitars out here because the list would be way too long and nobody will want to read all that, lol.

My limit is self-imposed because I know that there would be no end otherwise. I started with 15+ guitars... but I didn’t have time to play them and I recalled something that Will Smith’s father said to him when Will quickly purchased multiple cars as a new rapper: ‘boy you only got one butt’. That’s when I imposed my limit and started moving some of the guitars onto folks who would enjoy them.

Yup, the SS has the tone of the 63/64, I couldn’t get along with the feel of the SS but I was amazed at the pickups. The tone is definitely there. That’s why I think since PRS went time period specific with the SS (ie 63/64), maybe they could do the same with a 57/58 or 58/59). Wink wink (aimed at Paul Reed Smith). Golden Sky? Casi1 model? Something else Sky? Silver Moon? Casi1 model? I really like calling it the Casi1 model. Just sayin. I’d be cool with everything but the vintage radius however, I have found that the thickness of the neck impacts the feel of the 7.25 radius. As long as the neck is thick enough, the curvature seems less noticeable.

As for haters, some of them cannot be swayed and that’s just a part of life. But for the ones that can be swayed, the answer is to get the guitars in their hands. That’s always been the tipping point with PRS guitars.

the list would be way too long and nobody will want to read all that, lol.

I would - I love to read peoples breakdown of their guitar collection and what that guitar offers them. I kept mine brief, a snapshot but I still love to hear the story of every guitar in a person's collection. Give the choice, I would love to hear the entire story, where it came from, what prompted you to buy, what it added to your collection etc and even any 'emotional' connections - like @Heidi Korsmo and her husband building the guitar together and how much more that guitar means now for example.

Every guitar can tell a story - even if its new (newer even than my Special 22) as there is a story as to why you bought the guitar, whether it was just something you needed, a guitar that spoke to you when you tried it etc etc. Some may have no emotional back story - it was just a tool to do a specific job, fill a void in your collection etc - in fact I may create a Post for such a reason as I would find that very interesting and if anyone else does or wants to contribute, they can. Its going to get lost in a random thread that isn't really the topic....

For me, the big issue is space and 20 guitars + cases and amps etc take up a lot of room. For me, it made much more sense to have 5 (or thereabouts) very high quality guitars - each able to bring their own unique role in my collection - instead of maybe 1 or 2 high end and the other 3/4 being low/middle tier that are 'great' but I still know there is 'better' out there and would want to eventually trade them up until I do have 5 high-end guitars. I also feel that once you play a core PRS, the only guitars that can sit alongside and make you want to pick up and play is another core PRS.

If you put a limit on your husband - say 5 or 6 due to space concerns, do you think he would want to eventually trade in the lower end ones until all 5 or 6 were high end? Maybe things are different with you both because you are taking an interest in guitars, are building and modding guitars together and those guitars, regardless of their financial worth have much more in terms of sentimental value. I can totally understand why some frankenstein guitar that has built together having more value to you, not an option to trade up (mod maybe but not trade in for a different guitar).

Everyone is different and has different circumstances but I have a limited amount of space which limits the number of guitars I can realistically own - not unless I end up selling my sofa or my bed and stacking up the cases to sit/sleep on those instead. It makes sense to me to have 5 or 6 guitars that are all 'equal', all of which make me want to play, all of which offer something that only that guitar can offer and give me the widest tonal palette to paint music with. I could have had 5 or 6 Harley Bentons (for example) instead but I know I would want to get rid of them and trade up for something better.
I don’t think he wants to trade them all up, I mean really is there a huge sound difference between an LP studio and a standard? An MIM strat and an American? @ some point is the extra cost really delivering enough extra to warrant the additional cost? We have 2 epiphones, it is the equivalent of an SE really. Even if we had that money, I think there might be other ways to spend it. For me, the reason to buy a $6000 PRS would be because that’s the only way I can have an insane violet quilt, but I wonder if Matt would really feel it played like $6000? The whole diminishing return on investment thing!

But that’s their job... in this economy, everybody gotta have a job. Haters too. I don’t want to take their livelihood away. Let them hate.

;)

But after I learn my scales and practice A LOT, I’m gonna be awesome, then I’m gonna quit my job and do music.

See I have a plan.

Wait, what? You have to learn scales to be good? I didn't know that. No wonder I suck. How many scales do I need to know to be good? Please don't say "all of them."

I don’t think he wants to trade them all up, I mean really is there a huge sound difference between an LP studio and a standard? An MIM strat and an American? @ some point is the extra cost really delivering enough extra to warrant the additional cost? We have 2 epiphones, it is the equivalent of an SE really. Even if we had that money, I think there might be other ways to spend it. For me, the reason to buy a $6000 PRS would be because that’s the only way I can have an insane violet quilt, but I wonder if Matt would really feel it played like $6000? The whole diminishing return on investment thing!

Yup... it’s a personal decision as to what brand and model to buy, but has he played a $6k PRS guitar? If so, did he feel that the difference in the price tag was warranted? Depends on the person and that specific guitar.

Me personally, one of my PRS guitars cost more money than I’ve ever spent on any guitar (more than I would spend on any other guitar except a vintage one), but it sounds and feels like it cost that much money. At least to me. As for its looks, I would have preferred a different color or a different flame vs quilt, but that was secondary to the way that guitar felt when I played it. It feels better than any other guitar that I have ever played.

On the flip side, I played a $10k+ PRS and wouldn’t have paid $3k for it because, to me, that particular guitar, didn’t offer enough to warrant its price tag. But another $10k PRS might have warranted that price tag.... to me.

I would - I love to read peoples breakdown of their guitar collection and what that guitar offers them. I kept mine brief, a snapshot but I still love to hear the story of every guitar in a person's collection. Give the choice, I would love to hear the entire story, where it came from, what prompted you to buy, what it added to your collection etc and even any 'emotional' connections - like @Heidi Korsmo and her husband building the guitar together and how much more that guitar means now for example.

Every guitar can tell a story - even if its new (newer even than my Special 22) as there is a story as to why you bought the guitar, whether it was just something you needed, a guitar that spoke to you when you tried it etc etc. Some may have no emotional back story - it was just a tool to do a specific job, fill a void in your collection etc - in fact I may create a Post for such a reason as I would find that very interesting and if anyone else does or wants to contribute, they can. Its going to get lost in a random thread that isn't really the topic....
A little off topic, but guitar is out for delivery!!!!!! As for has Matt played an uber expensive PRS? No, we don’t even feel like we belong in “that” room! If and when he can afford that guitar, I smack him upside the head and say “baby my turn!” And get a $7000 piccolo!

A little off topic, but guitar is out for delivery!!!!!! As for has Matt played an uber expensive PRS? No, we don’t even feel like we belong in “that” room! If and when he can afford that guitar, I smack him upside the head and say “baby my turn!” And get a $7000 piccolo!
Pound for pound, you get a lot more with a $7K guitar than a $7K piccolo. Just sayin'

Back