Why so late to the party

When I first started playing, all my heroes used other-than-PRS guitars. Gibsons and Fenders mostly. So, I lusted after those.

By the time some of my heroes started playing them regularly, I was pretty much into my own sound and style. That style did not include flashy tops and the slightly more hi-fi/modern sound of PRS guitars. My budget did not usually coincide with high buck guitars either (including those Gibsons mentioned earlier).

I even lived within driving distance of the PRS factory.

Fast forward a lot of years, and we come to me buying my first PRS last year, a used 2017 SE Santana. It ticked a lot of boxes for me: double cut Special styling, thicker wider neck, good quality, nice finish, not as flashy.... I'm still trying to work out the pickups.

I still have very little use for flashy tops, and wacky colors... The yellow on my Santana is pushing it for me. LOL

I will NEVER own a Blue Guitar!!

Oh, my friend, you do NOT want to insult my blue guitar. I hope for your sake it hasn’t seen this post!

It has the gris-gris mojo, and will run the voodoo down...

:eek:

ptKq9zh.jpg

Oh, my friend, you do NOT want to insult my blue guitar. I hope for your sake it hasn’t seen this post!

It has the gris-gris mojo, and will run the voodoo down...

:eek:

ptKq9zh.jpg

Of course I wasn't insulting anyone or any 'blue' guitar - its just that I will NEVER own one myself! If others want them, that's their choice and I will happily listen to other guitarists playing Blue guitars but I will never own one myself - regardless of whether it is actually better to my ear or not. I would rather wait to find the same guitar in a different colour that matches or gets close enough to the 'best' blue guitar.

First I like blue guitars, but that is not even blue. That color can only be defined as "elven magic". very rare! It was forged deep in the forest of Lothlórien.

Of course I wasn't insulting anyone or any 'blue' guitar - its just that I will NEVER own one myself! If others want them, that's their choice and I will happily listen to other guitarists playing Blue guitars but I will never own one myself - regardless of whether it is actually better to my ear or not. I would rather wait to find the same guitar in a different colour that matches or gets close enough to the 'best' blue guitar.

I’m kidding you, I hope you realize that.

... I prefer my variety to be in terms of the models and tonal palette rather than have a rainbow of guitars. ….

This got me thinking. How many colors do I have, and what kind of tonal palette do the guitars create? Could I make a rainbow?

Black (burst) - 88 CE24 - T&B's, 01 SC - 7's
Blue - 04 SE EG - Single coils
Turquoise - 05 Cu22 Standard - 57/08's
Green - 06 Cu24 AP - HFS/Vintage, 08 PRS SC HB1 - Piezo
Blonde - 12 SE Angelus Custom - Acoustic w/Piezo
Yellow (Amber) - 04 BRW Cu22 - 57/08's, 2012 Marsden -McCarty neck/RP in bridge

Brown (burst) - 95 McSoapy - P90's, 06 SC AP - 7's,
Red - 95 CE22 Standard - Dragon 1's, 2010 Mira - Mira's,

Dark Cherry Sunburst - 02 PRS Cu24 AP Stoptail - 59/09's

Yep, pretty much a rainbow. Tonal palette seems pretty healthy too. I didn't set out looking for different colors. I found the guitars I wanted and the colors just happened.

I’m kidding you, I hope you realize that.

Of course I did - but I had to respond as maybe others may think that my words about blue guitars were in anyway an attack on them and their preferences. Not everyone can respect or accept that people may have different choices or that a general statement is not a direct insult. Its not just about colour either as I could say I will never own a 'Strat' (or Strat type) and then think that I am making some comment about their guitar of choice. O don't like offset guitars either and I absolutely loathe a 'Blue Tele' - not that I would hate to hear a great artist playing one but there is absolutely no way I would ever own one - I would even decline one as a gift... Having said that though, I still get people who seem to think that I am insulting them, attacking their taste and/or preferences in colour and/or instrument instead of accepting that my taste and preference differs from theirs.

Of course I did - but I had to respond as maybe others may think that my words about blue guitars were in anyway an attack on them and their preferences. Not everyone can respect or accept that people may have different choices or that a general statement is not a direct insult. Its not just about colour either as I could say I will never own a 'Strat' (or Strat type) and then think that I am making some comment about their guitar of choice. O don't like offset guitars either and I absolutely loathe a 'Blue Tele' - not that I would hate to hear a great artist playing one but there is absolutely no way I would ever own one - I would even decline one as a gift... Having said that though, I still get people who seem to think that I am insulting them, attacking their taste and/or preferences in colour and/or instrument instead of accepting that my taste and preference differs from theirs.

Not to worry!

I don’t really think my guitars have feelings. ;)

Of course, that’s when I’m thinking rationally. I do have moments when I talk to them. :eek:

Since we’re doing this, you do understand that I was only taking playful jabs?

Hello all, I can honestly say that I was smitten by the concept and awesome of the CU24 when I first read the article in Guitar Player magazine in 1986 (yes I'm getting old), dreamt about it and waited for 22 years to get my first cu22 in McCarty burst, and the only reason was that I live in Lebanon (middle east) plus it is way expensive to buy and ship over here.
But what still amazes me is that there are still many guitar players namely in the States that haven't tried or bought one after 35 years and all the popularity and successful endoresments accumulated over this period, this is just an observation, because PRS for me and for many others on this awesome forum became an obsession and would rather have a stable of PRS models (if money is no object) than buy one of the more popular brands.
So what gives?

Depends on what one wants. Someone wanting the sound of a Telecaster isn't really going find what he or she wants in the PRS line. Strat and Les Paul style are (now) covered, but PRS doesn't cater to every player's every need (thank goodness).

Back