Why so late to the party

g.wizz

Nabs
Hello all, I can honestly say that I was smitten by the concept and awesome of the CU24 when I first read the article in Guitar Player magazine in 1986 (yes I'm getting old), dreamt about it and waited for 22 years to get my first cu22 in McCarty burst, and the only reason was that I live in Lebanon (middle east) plus it is way expensive to buy and ship over here.
But what still amazes me is that there are still many guitar players namely in the States that haven't tried or bought one after 35 years and all the popularity and successful endoresments accumulated over this period, this is just an observation, because PRS for me and for many others on this awesome forum became an obsession and would rather have a stable of PRS models (if money is no object) than buy one of the more popular brands.
So what gives?

Hello all, I can honestly say that I was smitten by the concept and awesome of the CU24 when I first read the article in Guitar Player magazine in 1986 (yes I'm getting old), dreamt about it and waited for 22 years to get my first cu22 in McCarty burst, and the only reason was that I live in Lebanon (middle east) plus it is way expensive to buy and ship over here.
But what still amazes me is that there are still many guitar players namely in the States that haven't tried or bought one after 35 years and all the popularity and successful endoresments accumulated over this period, this is just an observation, because PRS for me and for many others on this awesome forum became an obsession and would rather have a stable of PRS models (if money is no object) than buy one of the more popular brands.
So what gives?

I can't speak for anyone - especially not those that haven't yet tried or purchased a PRS guitar. There could be numerous factors that people may have as to why PRS hasn't so far figured in their instrument choice.

One maybe loyalty - whether that's to Fender or Gibson (maybe even other brands like Ibanez for example). Both of these brands have a longer history and association with big artists which inspired them into picking up a guitar. Another could be the artists that are associated with PRS - Santana being the biggest but also a few nu-metal 90's bands and that association could well have some impact on their guitar choice. Price and the ridiculous statement that PRS guitars are bought by Dentists/Doctors/Lawyers as they have the income to buy. There are some that also think that PRS guitars are too good looking as well. Some also think they are too clinical, too perfect that they lack 'soul', character etc.

Speaking to few friends that went to NAMM for the first time and also getting a tour of the Gibson Custom shop, I found it amazing that they wwere 'Impressed'. In a lot of ways, it mirrored PRS, from the CNC of bodies and all the 'hands' on that happens beyond that point. It really surprised me that they had such a lack of understanding of the Guitar building process - to be impressed by basically the same procedure as PRS so I can only assume a lot of people are quite ignorant and I don't mean that nastily. By that I mean that they have no interest in the process, just the final product and no interest in finding out about PRS guitars and would rather believe in what they hear.

There are some that want the reliability, build quality etc of a PRS but then expect to replace a Les Paul with a Custom 24 but then dislike the Cu24 because it doesn't sound like a Les Paul. There are some that don't like the way Paul himself is during interviews, don't believe the demonstrations of 'tone' by hitting neck blanks or dropping nuts and hearing how they ring - believing that is all BS and just to justify their high price tags.

I can't speak for everyone, I may not even have listed all the factors that I have heard and seen as to why people may not of picked up a PRS yet and maybe never will. Only they can tell you why they haven't or won't try a PRS. At the end of the day though, that's their choice and PRS are not able to keep up with the demand for their instruments as it is with those of us who are buying (or waiting for) stock. I don't think PRS are struggling to sell guitars because of the lack of people buying.

Well, I was late to the party because the only PRS guitars at my local shops had been SE models that were, quite frankly, nothing to write home about when compared to other models from other makers. I didn't dig them. That changed recently with the latest generation, 2017 and on, SE models. They look, sound and play better for my preferences. Maple cap, frets feel better(harder) to bend on, some carve to the top and the 85/15 S pups sound great. I'm a little ashamed to admit that I probably still wouldn't have bought one if I hadn't found one in the faded whale blue. In glad that I did because now I'm fully hooked!

It took a while for me to grasp the concept of PRS guitars, even though I heard of them myself in 1994. PRSh was by that time well into producing guitars for the masses, and many were turning to PRS as the in-between of Fenders and Les Pauls. Was it their design, color, or beautiful wood finishes? Of course. Was it to give the next generation of guitarists something to latch onto? This as well. In all honesty, PRS guitars have become the workhorses of many guitarists, both young and old, those who can afford them, and for those who can't afford core models, other PRS designs priced for a more modest budget. PRS guitars just feel right in your hands, and for the most part, build quality is consistent from guitar to guitar.

I think some people find something they like and then stop looking. There’s nothing wrong with deciding that what you have is good enough.

You can save a lot of money that way. There are a lot of good builders out there. More than I could possibly give an honest try....so I don’t really even look. Much. Very often. With a credit card handy.

That's cuz blue guitars sound better;)
Fixed it for ya...;)

We all know that Red guitars are the best - Its the colour of Passion, energy, love, lust and is emotionally intense. It is Hot and vibrant - the total opposite of cold, sedate - a calm and peaceful colour but also depression and green is associated with nature and renewal but also envy and greed...

Therefore Red is the best colour for playing with passion, energy and emotional intensity... and besides, the guitars look Hot!! :D

So what gives?

My first "real guitar" was a Telecaster. But I had always wanted a Les Paul. Couldn't afford one & back then, cheap guitars were built cheap. Mexican made Fenders & Yahmaha Pacificas were the best bang for the buck. Eventually money got better for me, but that meant I was still looking for a better, less expensive Les Paul. Les Pauls were my obsession & after I got one, I got another & another & another.

So when I finally got to the point I could buy a PRS, it just didn't make sense as they were nothing like a Les Paul & I like Les Pauls.

I do own three PRS guitars though. & they are fine guitars in their own right. Unlike most here, I'm still fond of my Telecasters, Les Pauls, even my Mockingbirds.

We all know that Red guitars are the best - Its the colour of Passion, energy, love, lust and is emotionally intense. It is Hot and vibrant - the total opposite of cold, sedate - a calm and peaceful colour but also depression and green is associated with nature and renewal but also envy and greed...

Therefore Red is the best colour for playing with passion, energy and emotional intensity... and besides, the guitars look Hot!! :D
AMC_Gremlin_Red_1974_4.jpg

I think it speaks more to how great and established Fender and Gibson are in this field, rather than any shortcomings on the part of PRS. Boils down to that, really.

It is really really difficult to achieve the designs they have, be it in tone or looks. It is equally difficult to compete against them. I’ve always wondered, how is it the most iconic sounding guitars also happen to be the best looking? Is there a guitar God? So, I have to give credit where it’s due.

That said, I do have many more PRS guitars than Fender and Gibson! In another 2 or 3 generations, there will probably be little residual affiliation to tradition to separate the 3 brands. And oh, F and G are certainly no longer the best looking!

One Day In 1991...

“Hi, I’m looking for a really good, new electric guitar. What do you recommend?”

“Well, what’s your occupation and educational background.”

“Oh, I’m a musician, and I have a law degree.”

“It’s a good thing you mentioned the law degree, because when you said ‘musician’ I almost took you to our cheap, scratch and dent room.

“The law degree gets you into our better guitars.The best of them is this PRS. It’s made by a small company in Maryland. Very exclusive. Most of our postgraduate degree customers like them. Here, try it.”

“Wow, this sounds and plays great. And it’s really pretty. And you say it’s exclusive, too. So the riffraff can’t buy these, huh?”

“Buy them? Sir, they’re not even allowed to look at them. Do you need any help getting this into your BMW?”

“BMW? How did you know?”

“You did say ‘law degree’. The doctors all drive Mercedes.”

“And the musicians without postgraduate degrees?”

“I ask them if they need help getting the guitar into their girlfriend’s beater.”

Last edited:
but there is a reason that the majority of Ferrari's are Red!

There is a reason - it is that in the early days of racing, cars were painted in their agreed-upon national colors. Italian cars were painted red, but only after they won a big race closer to 1910; the French cars were painted blue (the Bugattis being a good example); German cars were white until the 1930s; British cars were green, and US cars were red in the early days as well, but later went to Navy and white or white and navy.

When Ferrari spun off from the Alfa Romeo racing team just before WW2, Enzo’s cars stayed red with the yellow horse shield thing, but they were painted a lighter shade of red than Alfa’s darker red.

However it wasn’t just Alfa and Ferrari; Fiat and Maserati also raced red cars.

In any case, Ferrari racing cars are red (or were when I still followed racing) because they’re still honoring that history, and the street cars are often red for the same reason. Plus, it’s badazz.

Of course, now racing cars are painted in sponsor livery, and none of this matters any more. I think that’s kinda a drag, but what can ya do.

Last edited:
Fwiw, I think variety is the spice of life...i could, and have, enjoy guitars in many different colors.

I don't disagree but I prefer my variety to be in terms of the models and tonal palette rather than have a rainbow of guitars. I am a bit flexible in the colours I would add to my collection - hence the Charcoal Cherry Burst Special - but my first choice will always be Red - and I will NEVER own a Blue Guitar!!

Back