Why small frets on the Silver Sky?

Isaac cruz

Ever since the Silver Sky was released I've wondered why they went with small frets instead of regular or jumbo sized frets. Even the 7.25" radius choice made sense, but not the small fret decision.

Is there something I'm missing? What's the advantage of smaller fret wire on a guitar like this?

John Mayer asked Fender to make him a guitar with the 7.25 radius and the narrow frets like his 64 Strat that Leo Fender was making back in the day. Fender said no. Maybe they said no for marketing reasons. I don't know. John went to PRS who said yes.

Why? Because the two guys with their names on the guitar said so.
Yes, that sounds cute, but there must be an actual reason behind the decision. It has been very clear that no spec or detail of that guitar was selected by accident.

From what I understand, the fret wire choice was simply what John Mayer wanted. Sometimes it's nothing more than that - especially with a signature model.

Yes, that sounds cute, but there must be an actual reason behind the decision. It has been very clear that no spec or detail of that guitar was selected by accident.
The reason is that John Mayer wanted it, and it is his signature model. I doubt there is anything more complicated than that.

I've seen John state something to the effect of he is fine playing on vintage radius and frets, so he saw no reason to change that. Paul applied his obsessiveness in making sure the guitar is setup properly and he thinks it plays great.

I've played a couple of SS and just did a setup to the floating trem on one.
To be honest I cant feel the frets being small, plays like all the rest of my PRS and Fender guitars

Ever since the Silver Sky was released I've wondered why they went with small frets instead of regular or jumbo sized frets. Even the 7.25" radius choice made sense, but not the small fret decision.

Is there something I'm missing? What's the advantage of smaller fret wire on a guitar like this?

Im convinced small frets sound better. Less metallic and woodier. A bit harder to play, but just sound better.

Back