Why should I buy a SE Custom 24 Korean when price so close to American Strat?

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;34036 said:
Let's be clear about that. Your comment only applies to a few guitars, like the CU24. In fact, there are some guitars that are ONLY available as an SE.

There is no US made version of the SE One. SE only!

How about a US made baritone that isn't Private Stock? Nope. SE only!

US made 7-string? Unless you go Private Stock... SE only!

He specifically mentioned the SE Custom 24, which is what I was referring to. It is a cheap version of the original Custom 24. (Cheap in $$$, not intangible guitar loving value)

He specifically mentioned the SE Custom 24, which is what I was referring to. It is a cheap version of the original Custom 24. (Cheap in $$$, not intangible guitar loving value)

Fair enough. :) And welcome to the forum!

Here are two independent reviews on the new 2012 SE Tremonti Custom, SE 245, and the 2012 SE Custom 24.
These guy's do great reviews, and they are honest about them.

I own two of the guitars they are reviewing.

Last edited by a moderator:

I guess it depends on the definition of 'cheap'.

I just got the SE C24 for Xmas. Considerably cheaper than the US version for sure but to me it certainly wasn't cheap. Semantics, I know! :)

You made a very good point though. "Tangible guitar loving value". I think that;s the most important point. Find a guitar you love. if it turns out to be a Fender or Gibson or any other brand including PRS so be it. Forget how much it cost because that isn't important. What is important is that you find a guitar you bond with and enjoy playing. Can't put a price on that!

I'd still argue that the SE Custom is different enough that it's more than a cheap version of the original. The SE body thickness and the flat top give it a different feel and sound. Upgrade everything on it to USA parts and it will still be its own beast. Price is obviously a factor, but it's a great option for those who don't like carved tops.

I'd still argue that the SE Custom is different enough that it's more than a cheap version of the original. The SE body thickness and the flat top give it a different feel and sound. Upgrade everything on it to USA parts and it will still be its own beast. Price is obviously a factor, but it's a great option for those who don't like carved tops.

While it's not a full on carved top, the 2012 SE Cu24's have a bevelled edge to put them that little bit closer to the American guitars in terms of shape and feel.

Yep, 2011 was the last year of flat tops on the SE Custom 24.
My 2012 has some nice curves, and she ain't flat.

Wow! Lot's to consider. Thanks.
I want both. I'm thinking used is better way to leverage my buying power. At least on a Strat. I'm looking at American Deluxe with the soft v neck. I can step up a little and get a lot more. Like would I rather drive a used Caprice Classic or a new Chevette. (Showing my age) I'll take the used Caprice.
The next thing is as to PRS. I'm pretty sure I can put my hands on both Maryland and SE and consider them both. You guys make some really good points. And I really appreciate the challenges of considering them.
A lot of the music in my head is Strat. (Jimi, SRV, Ronnie Earl) It doesn't sound like quack to me.
There is some Les Paul and ES-335 in there too. (Warren Haynes, etc) A fling V (Albert King) A Tele (Albert Collins) I love Satriani and Steve Vai but don't want an Ibanez. (Maybe I'm a guitar racist)
PRS is said to be both worlds together. Like one guitar does it all. The new 2012 Custom 24 SE is coil tapped for single coil or humbucker sound. They represent it as such a universal instrument.
I'm sure in anything, guns, vehicles, etc. there really is no such thing as one unit for every purpose. Hopefully I can come to appreciate the differences that each offers. Some of you guys have a lot of guitars!
Money doesn't allow me to get more than one every now and then. I've bought 3 in the last thirteen months. (one mini strat for my 8 year old son) As a newer player I'm still working on getting around the fret board and getting my fingers to obey me. My Yamaha acoustic turned down a half step with slinkys on it has gotten most of the action so far. I love the guitar and intend to continue and upgrade. The acoustic is great though as it seems harder to make it sound good than an electric. The realness of it seems fundamental to becoming a player. Electrics are fun! I like both.
My initial interest in PRS SE line was the Angelus SE custom. After serious consideration I'm looking elsewhere than the SE line for an acoustic. That's what brought me to considering the whole Korea thing and naturally, SE electric line.
Circular logic maybe. I've got more time than money so knowledge can't hurt. At any rate, I think I want a Custom 22 or 24. I'd prefer a used Maryland product. (PRS offers a coil tap upgrade.)
At any rate, guys, thanks for all the input. It's all good. My imaginary future guitar wall has a Custom 22 or 24 on it. Maybe it's SE. We'll see.
You guys are great. Thank you.

Here's another one to consider: the new SE Santana. With a 24.5" inch scale, will give more of the Les Paul growl, and of course the Carlos scream! And still in your price range. But not as versatile as an HSS strat or Custom 24.

I've owned several SE models and a few US models. The great thing about the SE line is that they are quality instruments that you won't have to baby or be afraid to gig with, and with the extra $$$ you save, you can get a nice amp!

But if you want high quality wood, finish, constuction, electronics, a hand-written serial number, retained $ value, and a heightened sense of paranoia (ha!), save up for a Maryland model. They really are works of art.

As long as you are able to express yourself with music, any choice is the right one!

strat vs se

I can buy an "American Special" Strat for $799, or a SE Custom 24 for $709.
Wouldn't that be better value? Aren't SE models actually dolled up American clones like say Oscar Schmidt or the like?
I'm an easy sell. Sell me!

i have owned numerous fender strats over the years and many other usa made guitars and just purchased a PRS SE Custom 24 and love it.
The only guitars i've owned that i can honestly say surpass it are my Melancon classic artists.

The playability of the SE and sound are the best bang for the buck in my opinion. Not to mention it looks killer as well.

Every Fender i've ever owned i've had to change the pups in. I have no plans on changing the SE pick ups.

i have never received the compliments on a Fender as i have with this guitar.

Dont get me wrong i only play Fender amps at the moment and honestly am a Fender strat fan. at the same time i had to have my Fender American Deluxe strat w/S1 pickup system set up when it arrived from American Musical because the action was so bad.
The SE was playable off the rack and one minor DIY tweek at the house made it play better than the Deluxe!!!!!!!!!!!

your choice on tone but bang for the buck go with the PRS

guitar history: w/ pup changes
Encore Les Paul copy
Fender Squier Bullet 1985 changed pups to Seymour Duncan
Kramer Striker
Fender Strat Elite 1983 model changed pups to EMG
Washburn Nuno Bettencourt model N4
Fender Strat Plus 1997 changed pups to EMG then Dimarzio
Schecter Diamond Series 7string
Carvin DC127 changed pups to Dimarzio
G&L Legacy changed pups to LACE holy grail
Melancon Classic Artist s/n 505 Dimarzios & Duncans
PRS SE Singlecut
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster 2010 oops i said above changed all Fender pups never did on this one
Fender Telecaster (korean with dimarzio buckers)
Fender MIM Strat 2006 Changed pups to Bill Lawrence
Melancon Classic Artist s/n 905 Bill Lawrence and Suhr pups
Fender Aerodyne Strat 2007 changed pups to Dimarzio
PRS SE Custom 24

Regarding the quality of these things. I've played those $799 Strats and they're just fine. I was actually at GC a couple of days ago checking out an amp and played the USA Tele at that price point and a couple different SE's. All of them played less than ideal - hanging at GC over the holidays did not help them out at all. They all needed a setup. Big whoop. I thought the Tele was a nicer guitar - the eye candy details were better on the SE's but the Tele felt and sounded better to me.

Comparing PRS and Fender in general will never make sense since they are quite different guitars and Fenders are more affordable. The SE's are a great value in the PRS line but you pay a premium for the PRS brand - it's up to you to decide if that premium is worth it.

I would buy an SE 24..again! Just picked up my first PRS. A cherry red one. I didn't know that the Korean Made SE's had birds on them. Paid $222.00 for it. LOVE IT. Perfect neck, the pickups are good. Wondering about the tuners, but I can get those swapped out easily.

1994 Fender Re-Issue Strat
2012 Tanglewood 59 Gold Top
1988 Tokai Limited Edition
2001 Alverez Fusion Series Acoutstic
2010?..PRS SE 24
2001 Fender Pro-Reverb Re-Issue
2010 Bugera

Back