Why PRS is gaining share in the guitar market

Same here. After months of research I just purchased a 2020 Custom 24 Artist Series -- took some searching, but found exactly what I was looking for. This is my first PRS after being a Les Paul owner. Anxious for delivery this week.
So? How are you enjoying your new axe? Just like the PRS claim - they just fit

I came back to electrics guitars in the past few years. I had a decent Japanese SG. It was the last electrics I didn't sell off. I never really played PRS too often. I don't like playing electric guitar in shops all that much and the last time I was playing electric, there weren't many lower-tier PRS guitars to pick up and strum without a sales associate right on top of me.

I ended up getting a solid deal on a really nice condition, newer CE-24. It was immediately impressed by the build quality, playability, etc. I wasn't a big fan of the sound though. I eventually got my DGT and that one really locked it up for me. Plays great, looks great even though it is an early nitro over poly with some bumps and bruises, and sounds fantastic.

I was originally thinking about getting a Gibson 59 reissue this year but I've instead opted for a Wood Library 594. I prefer the pliability, the weight, and the look of a double cut and I don't worry about getting a "good one" as I haven't been let down since going out to try more PRS.

I play to get a Silver Sky eventually. At that point, I only really have PRS except for a few Japanese guitars that have sentimental value.

I'm curious to read the article but just way too tired today. I just joined, don't even own a PRS (yet)... but to me, PRS guitars are some of the most beautiful things in the world. The epitome of functional artwork - even if I don't have the chops to justify one, I'd buy a McCarty HB out of appreciation and admiration if I could afford one. Maybe in a couple more years. And we haven't even begun to talk about tone, resonance, sustain, tuning stability, neck shape, balance, etc etc etc.

I played a HB II for like 10 minutes once. It was like meeting your soulmate then finding out she's married. I'll never forget that feeling - the weight, the vibration, the woody tone. Total perfection.

What a sappy first post, lol! I'm happy to be here and glad more people are becoming aware of what a PRS is. As an engineer, former finish carpenter, and musician I've been lurking for a very long time.

Maybe you can afford a PRS - guitar players can be a bit snobby - you don’t have to spend a lot to get an amazing instrument. Especially now.

I’m lucky to have several PRS of various ages and price points. The new SE HB II Piezo is absolutely amazing for the money regardless of price - meaning it’s an incredibly good guitar. I have a Zach Myers SE that is phenomenal; mine happens to be a rare koa top version but the guitar is an SE and it’s amazing. Same for the T60E acoustic.

I hope you find one too.

Great choice, can't wait to see it!

I'm remiss in answering sooner. I've tried to insert a picture here, but it won't allow me. Oh well. I like it so much that I'm in early discussions about having a Private Stock version built. I love my '92 Les Paul, but within 10 minutes of playing this PRS, I was a convert.

pdq

I'm remiss in answering sooner. I've tried to insert a picture here, but it won't allow me. Oh well. I like it so much that I'm in early discussions about having a Private Stock version built. I love my '92 Les Paul, but within 10 minutes of playing this PRS, I was a convert.

pdq
Gotta put the pic on a hosting site like imgur or postimage etc. then you can paste the link in here

Gotta put the pic on a hosting site like imgur or postimage etc. then you can paste the link in here

Thanks Dave -- I didn't realize that was the mechanism. Unfortunately other than this and 1 other discussion forum, I intentionally don't do any social media, no photo pages, etc.

It's a shame, as the one I just bought is a really nice 2020 Custom 24 10 top Black Gold Artist Series, and the one I'm in the stages of ordering is a private stock version of the same that I expect/hope will be even prettier.

pdq

I'm curious to read the article but just way too tired today. I just joined, don't even own a PRS (yet)... but to me, PRS guitars are some of the most beautiful things in the world. The epitome of functional artwork - even if I don't have the chops to justify one, I'd buy a McCarty HB out of appreciation and admiration if I could afford one. Maybe in a couple more years. And we haven't even begun to talk about tone, resonance, sustain, tuning stability, neck shape, balance, etc etc etc.

I played a HB II for like 10 minutes once. It was like meeting your soulmate then finding out she's married. I'll never forget that feeling - the weight, the vibration, the woody tone. Total perfection.

What a sappy first post, lol! I'm happy to be here and glad more people are becoming aware of what a PRS is. As an engineer, former finish carpenter, and musician I've been lurking for a very long time.
I'm going to second the SE Hollowbody Piezo as a guitar for you. I had a black spruce top hollowbody for two weeks, and didn't like the sound. I'm an old archtop guy. I got the Piezo and it does everything I could possibly want a thin hollowbody to do. I have my big jazzboxes down, and the SE piezo has a startling amount of sustain with good acoustic tone on piezo. It's the missing piece in the hollow equation in my lineup. And they'll start trickling onto the used market very soon. Play one.

Last edited:
I played a used SE Hollowbody Standard the other day. The guitar looks wise wasn’t super inspiring, but I haven’t been able to stop thinking about the feeling I got when I played it. Idk why but I wasn’t expecting that.

A used SE HB Piezo would be great. I don’t love the stock pups so that’s another expense on top of a used guitar. But I did just buy 57/08’s for a kit guitar I’m building.... =D

I think a PRS of some sort is in the near future.

I played a used SE Hollowbody Standard the other day. The guitar looks wise wasn’t super inspiring, but I haven’t been able to stop thinking about the feeling I got when I played it. Idk why but I wasn’t expecting that.

A used SE HB Piezo would be great. I don’t love the stock pups so that’s another expense on top of a used guitar. But I did just buy 57/08’s for a kit guitar I’m building.... =D

I think a PRS of some sort is in the near future.

Mmmmm....57/08's are very drool worthy.

They make "good goods" as the former Herman Miller CEO once said.

I have two "save in a fire" guitars, with one being my 08 DGT gold top.

Back